Help

The Job Search

When should I start applying?

>

SUED2015

When should I start applying?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently in my junior year of college. I am just curious as to when I should start the application process next year? I figured most students start applying in the spring of their senior year of college, but would it be beneficial to start applying in the fall, or is that too soon? I will be applying for multiple counties. Any advice and/or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.

SUED2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 10-08-2013, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most schools around here do not know their budget or needs until spring/ summer. If you apply early, it may get stuck in a folder for awhile. I am also seeing more positions where you need to apply to the specific position online. If they have 6 positions, you need to apply for each of those positions. If you do not follow the guidelines they toss your application.
In very large cities, they have their own hiring department where you make an online file in their system. Then you check for openings and apply. Each of those online systems take awhile to fill out and I do not see why you could not do them ahead of time. With those you can continue logging back in and add/change things. Most keep you file open for several years (or more). Once in awhile asking to update your file.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

RedStripey

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I started applying around March of my last semester but I did most of my applications in the summer.
RedStripey is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I look and apply year round. The competition is less than it would be March to September.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

SUED2015

Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all of the advice! I will probably start applying in the early spring when the competition is less. I also don't want to risk having my application tossed if I apply early. Is there anything I can do during the fall to prepare myself for the application process?

SUED2015 is offline   Reply With Quote