Help

Kindergarten

Last few days of school ideas - help!

>

kindergirl88

Last few days of school ideas - help!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have four days left of school next week - one of which will be field day. I would appreciate any ideas of things you do with the kids on these last days of school to keep them calm, busy, and out of trouble! I have already planned for them to make a kindergarten yearbook, but other than that, I am stumped!

kindergirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We write a letter to their first grade teacher, make cards for their big buddies, do lots of cleaning (cleaning the tables with shaving cream is their favorite), go "practice" playing on the big playground. Other than that I can't think of anything - we pretty much keep to our same schedule until the very end!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinkletea

Old 05-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We cleaned the classroom, cleaned/took home their supplies, we did movement/singing and read alouds. We played some games to finish on a strong note--sort of like you do at the beginning of the year so the kids get to know each other.
twinkletea is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try to keep as regular a schedule as possible. That is a sanity saver for you and the kids. Warn them of changes to the schedule, but try to keep some framework in place right up to the end.

I still do Daily 5 right up to the last day (my last day is a half-day and there is an assembly,recess, time for one activity and then our "Movin' On" celebration. Field day is all day at my school--morning of relay races, come in for lunch/recess, then afternoon rotations through activities like parachutes, popsicles, water brigade, etc....while I work on report cards.

I do allow some fun things like I let them choose their seat each day of the last two weeks, if they want to change (some children would rather stay in their same seat and that's okay).

We do lots of fun things but I try to work them into our normal schedule of morning math, recess, reader's and writer's workshop, lunch/recess, specials, BEAR (and those last few days I have them sort books during this time), stories and Choice Time...and of course we also continue to have science (they do a research project on sea life where they choose a sea creature, draw and cut out their chosen creature, find three facts about it and make a mobile out of it that hangs in our room until they do their presentation (on a day that their parent is in our classroom) usually at lunch.

There are many things that go on these last few weeks/days at my school...the 4th grades put on a market place and make an array of items to sell to all the younger grades, food, crafts, used books,balloon animals, face painting, etc. and give all the younger grades fake money so that the 4th graders get to practice making change. It's a great thing for my kinders...they LOVE it. We watch several Reader's Theatre presentations from other classes and the middle school usually has an activity where they enlarge everyday items and fabricate them in some 3D way...also a bit hit. We have a Buddy field trip to the beach for lunch and a tour with a Beach Ranger (with our 3rd grade buddies).

The trick is to provide that framework for stability or it becomes way too crazy for them and YOU. Good Luck!
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher_35

Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sight word visors.
Card stock copy of visor- look through magazines and newspapers and glue on sights words.

teacher_35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Old 05-31-2014, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What a cute idea! My kids are out, but I will be including this next year. Thanks!
Marji is offline   Reply With Quote