Help

Kindergarten

65-70 min. Reading block ideas

>

teacher_35

65-70 min. Reading block ideas
Old 10-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to figure out how to organize and schedule my reading block.

-Need to do letter of week/ sight word
Would like to see 2 guided reading groups per day while others are doing literacy centers
Read aloud

Ideas on how to structure etc.?

teacher_35 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would spend the first 20-30 minutes with whole group instruction/activities. Then 30-40 minutes with the small groups. I would have a quick letter or word activity during the transition between groups (a song/quick video--havefunteaching.com/chant/one or two turns of a game). End with the read aloud.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

My reading
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do a 15 minute review of the sound of the week, sight words, and (if time) we read the story (or discuss the story if we've already read it). Then we break into centers for 45 minutes. My stations are:

1. Assistant: in the beginning she worked with writing the letters, now she works on phonemic awareness with the kids.

2. REading station: Kids read emergent reader books, books from the reading series, and other books. 1-2 students in each group work on reading programs on the I-Pad

3. Me: We work on recognizing sightwords, phonemic awareness, letter sounds, etc.

4. Writing station: Kids work on writing their sight words, reflecting on the story, writing words that start with the letter of the week (drawing pictures or beginning sounds depending on their skill level)

I GROUP MY kids by ability, so each group will have different assignments in my group and the writing group.
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do my centers first and they usually last 30-60 minutes depending on the time of year. We then do our whole group activities and finish with a story. I do it that way because I like having my parent helpers do centers with us, and it's easier for it to be first thing in the morning rather than having to come back. I used to do whole group first and then break into centers.

You could also do two rounds of centers. Do one round while you see one group, come back together for whole group instruction, do your second round, and then come back together for a story.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

alternate between whole group/centers
Old 10-21-2014, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do a slightly modified daily five with my kindergarteners and it's worked out well. I alternate between a whole group lesson, independent daily five activities/ reading groups, another whole group activity, another round of D5. I like doing it this way because it breaks up the block and it goes by really quick. I typically do three whole group activities and two, sometimes 3 rounds of d5.

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

prissy1

Centers
Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have 27 kids this year. I do 2 days of rotations (that's all they can handle this year). These are my centers
-Phonics -letter of the week or word family of the week
-Sight word- Sight word practice is usually a cut and paste from TPT or wiki stick sight words and such...
-Review - This group finishes unfinished work, reads from their book box or rereads the weeks book
-Promethean group - This group has 6 head phones and I level about 25 minutes of phonics and sight word videos
-Teacher reading group

I do 3 rotations one day and 2 the other to get through all 5 leveled reading groups.
When I had less kids I could pull off 4 days of rotations.
These are all independent centers because I have NO help. You could make them harder if you had help. They go for about 25 min. and I have a 3 min. cleanup between groups. This year they have to come to the rug before their next group because they can't handle just walking to their next group.

Good luck!
prissy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

centers and reading group
Old 11-16-2014, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My team and I plan 8 literacy centers for the week. There are 2 sight word centers, 2 sound work centers, penmanship, listening, write the room, and computer. The students are responsible for completing 2 centers a day. They are assigned to a center station with mixed abilities.

I meet with 3 groups daily. I call the group, the students leave their centers and come to my reading table. I have a 20 minute lesson with them. On Monday, I introduce the new sight words. In Tuesday, the work on word families/deciding skills. Wednesday is sound segmenting/stretching activities. They also work on where do you hear the sound of the week. Thursday's are spent reading a leveled reader that has that week's sight words in them. On Fridays, there are no reading groups or centers. I use that time to work on comprehension skills and other reading skills.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindergal413

Phonemic Awareness
Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I enjoyed reading your post about how your literacy block is set up! I also teach Kindergarten and would like to know more about how you teach phonemic awareness in your small group rotations. Thanks!
Kindergal413 is offline   Reply With Quote