Special Education

Help

>

??!!??

??!!??

Help
Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a (young) student with emotional issues. In order to keep him in our classroom, I made an area for his personal use.

We put a large, heavy cabinet in his area to visually block him and to help prevent him from attacking other students. It takes 2-3 adults to move this cabinet.

The student is able to knock this cabinet over. When I showed administration this they said I needed to remove anything that this student can knock over from my room.

That would b everything in my room! This student is a desk thrower, tears bulletins boards off the walls and tears up carpeting.

Help! I feel so alone with this classroom...

picturetaker

What?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The environment is too restrictive--sounds like he needs moved out of your room for safety reasons. Right? Before he hurts himself or someone else. Eek! How do they expect the other kids on your room to learn if he is a danger?! Especially so young. He needs help--more than you are able to provide.

Keep documenting his behavior ABC!! Data! Dara! Data! Think about what happens before the behavior occurs and what is his motivation?!? And what's his consequence?? So many things to think about.

Keep us posted! Good luck!
picturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Emotional
Old 03-18-2015, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First of all, is your administration for real? Remove everything? What a totally stupid thing to say.
Is this student on an IEP? If not, request a meeting ASAP and bring your documentation. Have you talked to the parents yet? Is there any behavior intervention plan in place for you to follow? Did this student just arrive? Talk with your special ed department to do an observation. Get others to help you. Sounds like administration just dumped this student on you and is expecting you to sink or swim on your own. This should be a team effort.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

Behavioral Issues
Old 03-18-2015, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel your pain as I have had nearly the same student. It got to the point that I had to send my other students back to their own homerooms on a daily basis because it was no longer a safe learning environment. I agree with Tounce, it's a "team" thing. You should not take this on by yourself. Assuming this student has an IEP, have ongoing meetings to look at the results of interventions and what "everyone" is doing to support this student. I added SPED Therapy, SPED Bus, shared responsibility (required parent to come in and stay with the student until in control, NOT to take home) and TA (check-in/check-out) to support positive behavior strategies. I asked the school psyc to come in and do written observations. We did meds at school to make sure student got them, then waited 2 hours for it to take effect. We ended up trying to create a BMR, Behavior Management Room. It was a teacher workroom. It did help, but it had lots of stuff in there that was dangerous. Had to restrain due to safety concerns . It took 2 people to attend to this student. I used the Asst. Principal and a TA to cover for me so that I could go teach my other students. The principal really has little decision making power. Everyone had to have CPI Training. This describes my school year until February, when the team (SPED coordinator) agreed to discuss a change of placement. I had tons of data and I mean tons. The parent was happy and asked why we didn't do this at the beginning of the year! good grief! Student was moved to a self-contained classroom for behavior disorders. Student was identified as DD emotional. I hope this is of some help for ideas.

Last edited by leslier; 03-18-2015 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: addition
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote