Help

Special Education

Evaluations next week, I'm a train wreck

>

jellybean2004

Evaluations next week, I'm a train wreck
Old 10-06-2015, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everybody! This is my 3rd year teaching and I’m struggling! I worked as a 8th grade teacher in a self-contained special ed classroom for 2 years with higher functioning students. Now I started a new job in a different school district and im teaching little kids in 3rd and 4th grade. There are 2 grade levels and im expected to teach common core. I have been tossed into this classroom with no help or support. I had a hard time getting text books, computers, and materials. I finally received a mentor, but she is a reading coach with no special education experience. She is not helpful at all. The principal is a new principal and doesn’t have much experience. I’m just stuck.

2 weeks ago, the special ed director visited me. She noticed that my students had not been tested or included in the reading programs, scholastic reading inventories, discovery probes, etc. Nobody ever told me about these programs that they should be included in. She now knows that I need help and sent me for some professional development today.

Yesterday I received a letter saying that my first evaluation is on Monday. Monday is a holiday so I wont be there lol…….. (that was a mistake I guess)….. But still next week is too soon for me because my classroom is still not together. Im so scared! Any advice? I just need to pass this evaluation. Im being evaluated in language arts/ reading… Any tips on creating stations? This just sucks!

jellybean2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

creating centers
Old 10-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Creating centers/stations is the same in SPED as it would be in gen ed, so I would speak to a gen ed teacher at your site about ideas. Your reading coach/mentor should (in theory) have had classroom experience and can share how to do centers.

Essentially, I have it done two ways:
1) There are centers and you are "center" and the other centers can be done independently (or with an aide if you have one).
2) All of the centers are done independently and you call groups from those centers. Afterwards, the students return to their centers to finish their work.

Hope this helps!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

individualization
Old 10-07-2015, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Centers can really work well once the kids know how to use them and stay in their center while you are teaching small groups or individuals. I have come up with an independent work binder for each of my students that has materials that target their specific goals. This way, nobody ever has nothing to do and they are actually learning some independent skills, which is huge in my book.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

jellybean2004

Old 10-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the binder ideal! Thank you

jellybean2004

Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thanks for the response