Help

Special Education

I'm so frustrated!!!!!!

>

Gianemi

I'm so frustrated!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching and they put me in a resource room, by myself, with 2nd and 3rd graders. Some of them are bigger than me and are 10, 11, and 12 years old. This is my third week on the job and they are out of control, especially 2 or 3 who are always fighting to each other and calling themselves names. I've tried to be tough, but I realize they just don't care about what I tell them and keep talking and doing whatever they want. I feel overwhelmed with all this trying to teach two different grades at the same time (which I've never done before), and with all the paperwork and requirements the school have. I feel like a failure and that I studied all these years for nothing, cause now I realized I can't work with this type of kids. I've always prefer working with the little ones, and when they told me 2nd and 3rd I didn't think it was too bad, but now I feel I can't do this anymore and sometimes I wish I'd get fired or get sick or something to have an excuse and get out of there! On top of that, those kids are in K level in reading and math and they can't even read and write. When I give them a quiz or test I follow what's on their IEP and I repeat the questions, give them extra time, etc, and they still get Fs. However, I spoke to their previous teacher and she said they never failed with her, but had A, B, and Cs, how come???? The principal met with the new teachers today and said we got to call the parents and document if they are failing, but do I have to do that every week? I guess I'll be calling all of their parents every day to notify them! I called the department of education and asked what would happen if I leave the job and they said I'd have to be out unemployed from 6 months to one year. OMG, what do I do? I'm desperate!!!

Gianemi is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, take a deep breath!

Do you have these kids all day, or do they come in and out for subjects?

what is your current discipline strategy?

I am sorry that you are struggling. Sped is definately NOT an easy speciality to teach, especially if your second graders are that old!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote
jumi

jumi

help!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have them from 8:35 to 11:05 for LA and reading. After lunch I take them to an inclusion classroom and stay there with them. Then, we go back to our classroom for Math.
I constantly praise the ones that are doing good and I give them stars every time they participate and do their work and behave. At the end of the day the ones who have more than 5 stars get something from a little treasure box (candies, erasers, etc), and if someone reaches 10 stars he/she can go to the big treasure box and get a toy (from the dollar store).
Should I change my strategy? What can you recommend?
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

leslier

help!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How many students to you have in your Resource Room at a time? Do you teach them as A small group,or using individualized lessons? If they are fighting with each other, I would definitely separate them physically. Can you use a divider or some kind of work stations?
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your rewards system sounds good, but you also need some type of consequences for kids that aren't following the rules, especially if it's something serious like fighting. Are you allowed to send them to the office for physical aggression? We aren't allowed to do office referrals for much, but fighting is one thing we can send them for. I typically have a lot of students with behavior problems in my room and I find they need an extremely structured environment, a predictable routine, and need to be kept busy at all times. Make sure you don't have any "down time" where there is nothing for them to do (even if it's just a minute while you're gathering materials, for example).

I only have my kids for 45 minutes at a time, but this is what I do. When students come in, they grab their "cub paws," (our school wide behavior system- they can earn prizes for collecting them, if your school doesn't have one you can make your own), put three unifix cubes on top, and set them on my table. To keep their cubes, they must raise their hands if they want to talk, stay in their seat, and keep their hands and feet to themselves. If I catch them not doing one of those things, I take a cube away. If they have all three cubes at the end, they get to put a sticker on their paw. If they have at least one cube left, they get to play a small game at the end for about 5 minutes. The "games" are always something educational like sparkle or around the world with sight words or math facts. If they have no cubes left, they need to write what they did wrong and what they will do differently next time while the rest of the group is playing the game. This works well for my kids because it is visual/concrete and the expectations are simple. If you wanted to do something like this, just start with a new set of cubes for every subject, or every 30-45 minutes.

Do you have a mentor? If not, ask for one. Since you teach 2nd-3rd, I assume there must be other resource teachers at your school. Ask if you can get a sub for a day or two and spend the whole time in one of the other resource rooms observing that teacher and asking for ideas/feedback/help with whatever you need. Then ask if that teacher can come observe your room and help. Sped does take a lot of getting used to. You need to ask for help now before the situation gets worse.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote