Help

Career Decisions

Husband wants to enter education...

>

Piensate

Husband wants to enter education...
Old 11-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For background purposes, I am an elementary school teacher, and have been teaching for almost ten years. I need some insight, as I'm really unsure about this, yet want to be supportive of my husband...
My husband told me last night that he wants to leave his current position at a bank and become a high school history teacher. He holds a bachelor's degree in history, and is conditionally certified with the exception of a state test and a couple of education courses. About five years ago, he worked as an ed. tech. III for a few years, before he burnt out (the kids were violent). He then changed careers and entered the world of banking, but I'm sad to say he could actually make a little more money as a teacher. Here are my concerns: Teaching isn't what it used to be, and is changing drastically by the minute, it seems. I'm not sure he realizes what he'd be getting into in terms of politics and workload (right now he works a solid eight-hour day, with NO work to bring home, and an uninterrupted lunch, etc., all the "perks" of the corporate world). On the other hand, we would have essentially the same schedule, and would have summers together when/if we decide to start a family. So, there is a silver lining. What does everyone think? Have you had a spouse change careers, become a teacher and absolutely hate it? Or love it? Thanks…I really want to support my husband, but I am so nervous for him.

Piensate is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did you make it look too easy? Just wait till he sits and grades papers or asks you to help him make lesson plans. Been there done that- more stress- yours and his. My husband being new at it - was a perfectionist. He was going to save every kid and create individualized plans for each kid. Took hours. Etc.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

Marzipan

Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would definitely not recommend leaving a comfortable corporate job to go in to teaching. Sad to say.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote

Phardog

Piensate y aprende
Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Let him find out for himself that he will have to take a coaching assignment to find a decent position and then if his team loses, he may find FOR SALE signs posted in your front yard. Let him find out for himself that the cost of health insurance through the district is much higher than in the corporate world. Let him find out that he is essentially an 'at will' employee and that teaching factual and true history (such as why the civil war was all about slavery) will be cause to not be renewed next contract year and that freedom of speech has been severely curtailed in the classroom. He will
return to the corporate world on his own and you will be more highly respected as a professional and spouse for what you contribute to the relationship.
Phardog is offline   Reply With Quote