Help

The VENT

paying to have dress down day

>

TravelingGal

paying to have dress down day
Old 08-16-2016, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today we were informed by our leader of the PBIS team that we are allowed to wear jeans on Fridays but we have to pay 20 dollars to do it. The 20 dollars pays for rewards for the kids. This really ticks me off. I spend a fortune on stuff for my classroom and I don't appreciate someone telling me I have to pay out more money for something I don't even like to do. I hate wearing jeans and t-shirts. Mens t-shirts do not fit me right and I get very uncomfortable in them. This thing lately in schools of ordering t-shirts for the staff that has the school logo on it just doesn't sit well with me. I feel the money should be better spent. Our school system bought t-shirts for everyone in the system last year and this year and my own school also bought shirts this year. Now, I know that I am not going to pay the 20, but I feel bad for the new hires because they will feel like they have to do it.

TravelingGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Turkeyrun

Wow! That's a high price!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We had Jean Fridays--and we paid, $5, but it went to a charity such as UNICEF, United Way, etc. NEVER for rewards for students.
Maybe you could let the newbies know it is NOT something they have to participate in.
Turkeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

$80/month?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is no way I would pay $80/month for a legitimate charity, let alone to buy stuff for kids that usually never really appreciate it.

I want whatever your administration is smoking.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-16-2016, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's insane and not enforceable, unless it's a private school, I guess.

It doesn't sound like this is mandatory and you don't like wearing jeans, so it doesn't affect you. Right?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That would annoy me too! We pay a couple bucks each week (if we want to) to dress down, but the money goes to a charity. I don't always participate, but would be even less likely to if it wasn't a charity.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 08-16-2016, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I never understood this thing about paying to wear jeans at work, but I know from PT that apparently it's quite common. I'm with you on those horrid staff shirts that don't fit properly on women. But if we wanted one, we had to pay for it ourselves, which I never did again after the first one.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Annoying.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd be ticked off, too. It wouldn't affect me because I don't wear jeans to work, but if the school or district chooses to implement a program like PBIS, then they need to have the infrastructure in place to support it. The idea of teachers paying for the priveledge of wearing a particular fabric to school in order to bankroll prizes for the students has me SMH.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We pay $20 but the $ goes towards our Sunshine Comm. They use the $ for a baby shower cake, retirement gift, etc. Gifts for students???? SMH....
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I hate the concept of paying for dress down days. I really hate the idea of asking for money from employees to pay for things that should be part of the school budget.

Also, either jeans are appropriate school attire or they are not. Paying $20 does not suddenly make them appropriate, so either your administration is compromising principles (that jeans are not appropriate) for money or they are banning perfectly appropriate attire and both ideas are inexcusable, imo.

I would have a hard time not saying something about this, especially if the money is to support something I *need* to implement a *required* program effectively. I don't mind paying for my own prizes, I really don't, but only if it's for *my* choice of behavior system.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

We are also
Old 08-17-2016, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

supposed to contribute $ to wear jeans on Friday's. The money goes to support something for the seniors (I don't know, because I don't wear jeans on Fridays). We also had the "opportunity" to buy a staff shirt for our PBIS program. The kids all got a shirt for free, staff had to pay. I don't like t-shirts and don't wear them. So I am one of the few people who did not buy the shirt. I wear a lovely blue shirt in school colors on assembly days.

I have also struggled with the idea of extrinsic vs. intrinsic rewards. I do believe that we are doing kids a disservice by focusing on "stuff". The rewards always have to get better, or they lose their appeal. It is a very slippery slope. Requiring teachers to pay for it, under the guise of "jeans Friday", could open very interesting and passionate discussion.

Is it $20 for the year, or $20 each Friday? New hires may not be able to afford $80 per month, even if they wanted to! And I agree with others- either jeans are acceptable, professional clothing, or they are not.

rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We put $1 in the jar to wear jeans on Fridays and it is the honor system. It goes towards different charities or helping out a school family sometimes in a tough situation (like a house fire, etc). $20 is crazy!!
And staff shirts are always an awful fit. I am a ladies large, and had to get a 2XL in the last shirt to fit, and then it was far too long. Some people didn't check the samples in the office, ordered what would be their regular size, and we're stuck with something that didn't fit (our names were on them too). Last staff shirt I ever order.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That is a lot of money to donate just to wear jeans! My district does $5 donations on pd days to wear jeans. The money goes to veterans' organizations, cancer groups, or local charities. I will donate for a good cause. There are days I have not donated. You should not feel obligated to donate anything. I would not donate to make a point that it's asking too much of the faculty.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-17-2016, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow! At my first school, we paid $2 on Fridays to wear jeans. I believe the money went to unicef. At the schools I've worked at since, jeans are acceptable. Many of my coworkers wear dark-wash skinny jeans with boots in the colder months, paired with a nice top. I would not pay $20!
FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 08-17-2016, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That's 80$ per month! Food taken from your family! Gas taken from your car! Give or take, that is $720. per year! No way. I would go out and buy some soft, silky non-jeans and wear them any way. I really dislike jeans, especially the tight ones everyone wears. I don't even wear them on Fridays.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Free Fridays, but...
Old 08-17-2016, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My middle school has Jeans Fridays. You have to wear a spirit shirt or school colors. We don't pay or that. But, if you pay $2.00 each time or $15 for the year, you can wear jeans on staff meeting days. That money goes into the Sunshine Fund for staff celebrations, funerals, illnesses, weddings, etc. It was always a bonus when we wore jeans and then the staff meeting was canceled.

Last edited by mrsd5; 08-17-2016 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Made no sense.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Think about it
Old 08-17-2016, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

$80 a month times 20 staff members is $1,600! Multiply that by 9 months and you get $14,400!!! That is an outrageous amount of money for prizes.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Paying to dress down
Old 08-17-2016, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Nope! That is the most ludicrous idea yet. $20 is a lot of money and it shouldn't be your job to pay for student bribes er.... Rewards.

I, too, don't understand dress down Friday and paying for it. We are supposed to dress appropriately and on Fridays we can wear our school shirts if we want to, or not.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingafar

No Way of Knowing
Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

There is no way that I would pay twenty dollars to wear jeans to school. When we had PBIS, prizes were donated by parents. If your school doesn't have an active PTA, you could apply for a grant to pay for prizes. There are plenty of prizes that require no cash output too. Some of them are

free homework pass
lunch bunch with a teacher
recess time with a teacher
being a special helper in or out of the classroom for a short period
recognition at a PBIS rewards assembly
travelingafar is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-17-2016, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

No way would a rule like that get by here! Unions would be all over them. Wear what you want as long as you're reasonably professional. And that list of prizes makes me crazy, too, because 80% fall on the teacher. We are professionals who can dress ourselves without permission and professionals who are here to teach (not spend time on rewards--particularly when research shows the overwhelming value of intrinsic rewards). You need to start saying no to those ridiculous demands.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Thank You, Gromit!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

"Also, either jeans are appropriate school attire or they are not. Paying $20 does not suddenly make them appropriate, so either your administration is compromising principles (that jeans are not appropriate) for money or they are banning perfectly appropriate attire and both ideas are inexcusable, imo."

Exactly! I feel the same way about hat day. On most school days, teachers are to do the, "Hat off, please!" thing with boys wearing hats. Of course, it is the same kids and sometimes it turns into an argument. THEN, after all this, we have a $1 hat day where kids who pay $1 can suddenly wear a hat and it's suddenly not disrespectful! Kids want an explanation and I have none. Also, some kids never have money for pencils, but if it is a hat day or candy, they tear out ten dollar bills!

I love to wear jeans. We only have this once a month and the money goes to a school fund. So I do pay the money at the start of the year. Then, we have people who wear jeans and brag about not paying. However, jeans are unprofessional, then suddenly if you don't wear jeans, you have no school spirit. We are also encouraged to wear school colors or shirts with the jeans. There are some teachers who do not participate.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote
0-0-0-0

0-0-0-0

Wear'em anyway I say
Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I wear jeans and a nice but casual shirt on Fridays. We're supposed to pay $40 each year to get the privilege. The money goes to Christmas gifts for the more needy families of our school district. I only pay it every other year.

DSLBUG

Old 08-17-2016, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

A new superintendent tried to make the staff pay to wear jeans on Friday. Didn't fly as we don't have a dress code. Our Union shut him down, fast.
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 08-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We had to do this at my old school. They also linked it to your attendance. If you had perfect attendance for the month then you could dress down.. and pay for it. Otherwise, NO WAY!
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

wow
Old 08-17-2016, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

With the $80.00 I would buy myself a nice, nice, nice outfit every month. There is no way. I am retired now. I gave so much time after school, money to buy supplies, gifts for the needy under the school tree. NO WAY! $320.00 a month? Get real.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I totally don't understand that! Paying to dress comfortably??? As an elementary teacher I spend a lot of time on the ground working with students. I wear jeans almost every day. Otherwise I probably wouldn't get down to their level.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-17-2016, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
320.00 a month? Get real.
She said $20.

She didn't say per week, per month, or per year. But the most it would be is $80-100/month (still outrageous and also highly unlikely), not $320/month.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I'm hoping you mean $20 for the whole year! If you don't want to lay it don't. We only get to wear jeans 5 Friday's a year, so I would gladly pay a bit to wear them more often. For me it's more about being able to wear tennis shoes which we normally are not allowed to wear.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

paying for jeans
Old 08-18-2016, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We have this too but it's $1 a Friday which goes to charity. I don't participate not because I'm not into jeans or giving to charity but to the idea that I have to pay to wear certain clothes. I just wear what I want on Fridays and not our whole staff participates anyway. I agree though that the new hires may feel this is something they have to do as well as participate when the envelopes come around collecting $$ for functions.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 08-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Ours asks for $1 to go toward a scholarship that we give to a graduating student. I actually don't really like to wear jeans unless it's winter because I get too hot! Sometimes I pay, usually I forget, but mostly nobody really cares and nobody monitors.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

TravelingGal

Old 08-18-2016, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

oops, It is 20 for the year. Sorry I confused everyone. Still, I'm not even paying 20 for the year.
TravelingGal is offline   Reply With Quote

TwiceShy

Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I never participated in "Dress Down Friday." I have worked at a number of schools; some of them did this and some didn't. I find it kind of silly as teachers in my area do not have a dress code anyway. Also, who wears jeans anymore? And I would never wear yoga pants to school, lol. Lately the schools I have been working at have been doing staff lotteries in lieu of "Dress Down Friday." But the lottery is even more expensive than dressing down used to be. The money raised in the schools I have worked at usually goes towards charitable causes. I just can't afford to do this right now as like many teachers I could be considered a charity myself, lol. Last year, I worked at a large school where teachers were forever soliciting money from others to buy gift cards or make up baskets for sick, pregnant or departing colleagues. 10 dollars a pop. And I got to thinking, if every staff member gives 10 dollars... That is like 300 dollars?!? And they would guilt you into it as well, coming to your classroom and asking you to contribute money.
TwiceShy is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Wow. I can't believe how strict all of your schools are about teacher dress code. We never have to pay to wear jeans on Fridays. Also, there are teachers that wear nice jeans on a daily basis and no one says a word. I'm glad that my district has such freedom in our teacher dress code!
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 08-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I am appalled that teachers are peer/principal pressured to donate to a cause!

I am appalled that your union did not grieve this issue.

In our area which is rural our district dress code is business casual.

Why?

Because most of us are farmers/ranchers/drive long distance on roads that can be blocked by land slides, snow, car wrecks and elk.

You are expected to dress modestly and your clothing needs to comfortable enough to do yard duty in heavy rain or snow or high heat.

New teachers soon learn that too short dresses or skirts do not work if you on the floor with your class in morning circle and it is hard to play basket ball with your class in high heels.

I quickly learned to not over dress because it made parents think you were a "snob".

Wow of all the ridiculous things teachers put up with.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Quote:
I quickly learned to not over dress because it made parents think you were a "snob".
I think this is a very important point that is often overlooked when people say we should dress "professionally." I don't need another wedge between me and the families with whom I am trying to forge a relationship.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teachcarolina

Old 08-20-2016, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We also have a jeans day but we have to pay to Relay for Life. I don't understand how one charity gets to come into every school, but in my area, they are and it's a big deal. According to many sources online, the American Cancer Society and sponsor of RFL, spends a lot of money on administration and salaries and very little goes to research for kids' cancer, yet if I want to wear jeans, I need to pay up to this organization. I sort of feel like they and the United Way have these charity monopolies in the schools and I really don't want my school telling me where I should donate my charity dollars. So, I will not be wearing jeans.
teachcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

Wow...
Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Once again glad I work in a small, rural district. We are casual professional. We often wear (nice) jeans any day of the week. Heck, I love to get into my fancy Wranglers and wear my red Ariats. My red boots make me happy. lol
We do have school themed clothing, but we choose to join a yearly order for what we want and we pay for it individually. I'd never accept being forced to pay to wear certain types of clothes to work, period!
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

unsure819

Old 08-21-2016, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

We have casual Fridays free of charge. Other special casual days cost $1/day, and there's only a few.
unsure819 is offline   Reply With Quote