Third Grade

Help! Please! Teacher starting late...

>

mrsrodriguez

Help! Please! Teacher starting late...
Old 09-06-2016, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey fellow third grade teachers!

I have been a teacher for over four years but was out of the classroom to raise my son for the last three years. I am getting back into the classroom as a third grade teacher. I have only taught 4th for three years and kindergarten for one. I will be starting next Monday, which will be the beginning of the 4th week for my third grade students. Their teacher left on the second day and they have had subs.

I will be teaching all subjects. Can someone tell me how you have your daily schedule lined up? Homework policies? Classroom management ideas? I saw some people have used "classdojo?" many posts were years ago about this. Do you still use it or not? Also, since I do not have the curriculum can someone tell me what levels the children are on in reading and math?

Yes, I have read previous posts on this subject matter but it's so much to go through. I thought I would just ask "all of the above" again!

mrsrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello and welcome to the grade 3 board!

I will be teaching all subjects. Can someone tell me how you have your daily schedule lined up?

This might be specific to your District...like how many minutes you have to allot to each subject. My District is not over regimented about instructional minutes so teachers have some leeway.

I generally have independent reading or catch up first thing..then a class meeting then literacy til recess. After recess, a school wide Run Club then math then lunch. Then independent reading and either art, gym, science, socials depending on the day. This is a rough sketch...my actual routine varies slightly (time wise especially) each day.

Homework policies?

I ask my grade 3s to read for 20 min each night. We have a website with weekly math links to practice and every second week we have spelling words to practice. And we sometimes have ongoing projects that require some work at home throughout the year.

Classroom management ideas? I saw some people have used "classdojo?" many posts were years ago about this. Do you still use it or not?

I don't use Dojo but I think it is current. We brainstorm rules at the beginning and then if there is an infraction, we deal with it in ways that make sense. For instance...too chatty? I might have them move until they can work more quietly. I have used more complicated systems but I find them too much to manage. Anything violent goes straight to the office. We also play Compliment Bingo and when they get a Bingo we get an extra recess.

Also, since I do not have the curriculum can someone tell me what levels the children are on in reading and math?

In my District, end of grade 2 is level 24 (reading recovery). We don't have math levels per se so I can't really comment on that.

Yes, I have read previous posts on this subject matter but it's so much to go through. I thought I would just ask "all of the above" again!

Previous posts are super helpful...and so are lots of people on PT! Enjoy grade 3!
Save

Last edited by Ally; 09-06-2016 at 09:14 PM..
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to third!

Will you have other third grade teachers to help you at your school? They'd be the best place to start with your homework and schedule questions.

In my district, the schedule is made by the principal. We don't have much leeway. We have to do math for 80 minutes, writing for 45, and reading for 90. I do the best I can with that, but I try to fit in things like character ed and mindfulness.

Homework. I give 15 minutes of reading a night and math homework when our math program gives it.

Management: I use a combination of love and logic and responsive classroom. I really like doing morning meetings.

Sounds like this group has had a rough start. I'm glad you are able to get in and help the rest of the year go more smoothly.

Keep coming back here. This is a great place to get help!
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsrodriguez

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you all so much! I literally just moved and since I've been out of teaching for awhile. I've also lost my portable hard drive that has all my teaching materials on. I remember what I did in the past, but since I'm getting started late in the year, I know I need to have the easiest methods and procedures as possible!
mrsrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Welcome
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just wanted to welcome you to the third grade board. Starting late in the year is always challenging. I have done it twice in my career. But it is doable.

My advise is to allow some time to get to know the kids and for them to get to know you. They need to know your expectations. Be tolerant of the fact that they are having to transition again to do what you ask of them.

However, after a couple of weeks don't allow them to use their class and teacher restart as an excuse anymore. Be positive and compliment them often for making good choices. But don't be afraid to let them know what needs to change in their behavior or school work as needed.

Good luck! hope you have a great school year. Come back often for help and suggestions on this board. The teachers here are always full of great ideas and options.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

BMc

I agree
Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with 1956BD's message. Take time to build relationships and community.
State your rules and then slowly build into curriculum.Build on your routine and reinforce it, it is worth your time.

It is still early in the year. Students want structure and hope of an exciting school year. Build on that
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

mlady4

Welcome to PT!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Over 30 years ago, I had a similar experience and got a job as a third grade teacher after school started also. The previous posters gave great advice. My students had really liked the first teacher and I was sort of treated like a stepmother in the beginning. However, it all worked out and I can say that third grade is the best age ever to work with! Good luck!!!
mlady4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Welcome
Old 09-07-2016, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You will get many good ideas here. I'm retired,but think you should do lots of team building your first several weeks. Tell them this is a new beginning for all of you. Have many class meetings & make anchor charts to remind the class of expectations. You could even have the kids make them. There are many chart ideas on google & pinterest.

You should find your state standards at your state DOE's website. What state are you in?

Getting to know you idea: Do two truths & a lie. They always love this!

Good Luck & keep us posted on your progress.

Check out Teachers pay Teachers. They have many free items.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

3rd grade
Old 09-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Welcome to 3rd! I stayed home for a while to be with my children, so I know how overwhelming it can feel.

1. Schedule: morning work, ELA, math, RIT, computers, Science/SS, read aloud

2. Homework: Not much. I want them to be kids at night. I give a short math review twice a week and ask them to read their AR book nightly.

3. Management: I use the clip chart method. I tried dojo and didn't care for it. My friend loves it.

4. Levels: I have the lowest group (we're performance based), so mine are 1st and 2nd grade reading levels and 2nd grade math level. As a grade level, they're anywhere from 1st grade to 6th grade.

Keep checking ProTeacher! I got some wonderful information here!!!! Hang in there, and congratulations on starting back!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote