Help

The VENT

Not a good omen for the year.

>

VivianCP

Not a good omen for the year.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, our official meetings start next Tuesday. I figured going in the week before is a no-brainer, right? Clean, make sure furniture is in place, start unpacking boxes before all my time is taken up with meetings (that barely pertain to me but that is another vent! ). But no! Carpets haven't even been vacuumed since we got out in June! Carpets are being cleaned this week. Seriously? You couldn't get that done in the EIGHT previous weeks you had when teachers weren't in the building???

VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear you. Once with school starting on Wednesday, and meetings Monday and Tuesday, they cleaned the carpet the Friday before. Administration allowed us two hours Tuesday afternoon to get rooms organized.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

I hear you as well
Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know that the custodians are directed by higher ups who have them scheduled all over the place all summer. Also, there is summer school happening in our building until the end of July every year so it's always a race to get it done in August (we start end of Aug with kids).

Our scheduled cleaning week has been changed twice now. First, it was going to be right away by end of June, before summer school began. THEN, we received an email saying it would be done directly after summer school-which would have been last week. I was directed to move rooms this year. I popped into school to copy a document last week so popped into my new room and saw that while all of my teaching stuff was moved to my 'new' room, the other teacher's stuff was all still in my room as well. Nothing was cleaned and the building was a mess. Of course, there was no one around either, even though it was late morning. So, I emailed our custodian and asked if the rooms would be cleaned even though her stuff wasn't moved and when that would be....so I would know when to come in and start unpacking. She sent an email that night, explaining that they are now not starting until 8/9 and it would take at least 5 days. Furniture would be moved out in the hall for carpet cleaning and would not be moved back in for a week. Ok, that takes us almost to PD days.

Yes, this seems to be typical, but it is irritating because I have some time now to unpack and I certainly won't when the room is ready .

I'm really trying to put on a new attitude this year, my last before retirement, as there is nothing I can do about it and I refuse to put in tons of extra hours this year .

Sorry for the piggyback vent!! I hope you are able to get in your room soon and I hope you have a great year!
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had summer school too, but not in all classrooms. I think they at least could have vacuumed at the end of the school year. Our maintenance dept said they didn't want to clean carpets before work was done in the classrooms but not all classrooms were having work done. I know they have their own agenda apart from mine but it's frustrating! Deep breath!

Let's all have a great year!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

I agree!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
We had summer school too, but not in all classrooms. I think they at least could have vacuumed at the end of the school year.
YEP, great point, same here! It seems like it would make sense to do the other wings and then come back to the one wing (in my case) after summer school.

I've often thought the 'powers that be' in the Aux building could stand some organization/planning PD .

Good luck to you!!!

newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

cali11

Old 08-09-2017, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yikes!! I walked into my room for the fist time yesterday, and there were spiders EVERYWHERE. Yes, live spiders. Ewwwww. I wish custodians would understand our need to get ready ahead of time!
cali11 is offline   Reply With Quote