Help

The VENT

August anxiety...

>

Riversong1

August anxiety...
Old 08-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ugh!!! My August anxiety is kicking in hard!

1. I return on August 28th...but I'm already receiving emails from nervous parents and nervous administrators..and of course I didn't "plan" my math lessons like I said I would....and I can't get into the school due to cleaning...

2. I agreed to tutor a former student for 2 sessions this week...because I can't say no..and now mom asks me If I could create a homework packet and write up a synopsis of her daughter's learning style and best teaching practices to share with their new teacher/tutor...geez...it's because she's a nervous parent!

3. I agreed to care for my cousin's son for the whole last week in August...because I can't say no! The whole week! That's my last week before school starts....I've already had to decline meeting with teammates that week due to my commitment-but it's my cousin...but meeting with my team would ease a lot of my August anxiety....ugh..

4. The worst is part....I gained 10 pounds!!! I have 3 weeks to lose these 10 pounds or I won't have any clothes to wear!!!!! Ugh!!!
The End
Thanks for the vent!

Riversong1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

same
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have serious August anxiety....I feel like the summer went by too fast and I didn't make the most of it....plus I did not lose any of the weight that I said I would. I also agreed to come in and help with something the day before I actually have to go back!! What was I thinking????? I wish that August would just slow down!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

You need to learn to say no
Old 08-08-2017, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry, I have been there. You need to learn to say no. Really! I was like you until I almost snapped one year.

All of these things were going on at once. Without going into details, I thought I could handle it and then I started getting physical symptoms. I thought it was my heart. However, I was having panic attacks and getting migraines. I never had anything like it before. It was hard but I talked to my principal and quit several things I was doing as extras. Guess what? As soon as I quit the extra committees, duties, and "helping" some many people, I felt like a great weight was off me. I learned to say no and it was the best thing I ever did. It took me a long time to learn this. Don't be like me and have to learn the hard way where your health is at risk.

Cancel the tutoring and babysitting. Just tell them you are too busy (true) and concentrate on having a good school year!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Cancel the tutoring and babysitting. You need to take care of yourself and do what's best for you.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with GreyhoundGirl. It's hard to cancel, but do it. Cancel both the tutoring and babysitting. Apologize but be firm. "I'm so sorry, thought I could do this, but I can't."

Then contact your team and tell them you'll be there. Start exercising and writing math plans every day. Your life ultimately is about you. If you're not well and happy, you're in no position to help others.

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Cancel!!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Definitely cancel the babysitting - that is too much! Say you have to work- it is a busy time for teachers!
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
and now mom asks me If I could create a homework packet and write up a synopsis of her daughter's learning style and best teaching practices to share with their new teacher/tutor ...because she's a nervous parent!
. Of course your only answer is NO. If you agree to do this, embrace a lifetime of anxiety. The solution to lessening your anxiety lies solely within YOU. Most of our problems in life are self inflicted. Be good to yourself.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree...I find it so hard to say no, but I am trying! It is too easy to get bogged down in other stuff and forget to take care of ourselves. If you can't cancel the babysitting completely, can you do it for a shorter time?
Ally is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

You're prolly doing this
Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Instead of focusing on what you still have to get done, try focusing on things you had already accomplished this summer:
1) You got to go out.
2) You got to sleep in on some days.
3) You got to reconnect with people that matter to you.
4) You got some more sunshine.

The best part is none of the above had to do with your day in day out stuff.

On to new business, you just have to accept that just like laundry, there are things that are not meant to get done. And you try to get started a few things at a time while doing others. You can do this and you got this.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

whipsnake

Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

1. You have time to plan your math lessons. You don't have to complete them all in one day. Do one each day. You'll feel better. Unless an e-mail is directed to you and it's an emergency, you should not reply. Put on your 'away' or vacation autoresponse. The vast majority of what is being slung your way is stuff that is of no concern of yours. Because parents and administration are nervous doesn't mean that you should be. You shouldn't. Don't. Enjoy every day this month. It is your vacation. Get the lessons done, but enjoy doing them.

2. You need to learn to say no. It ain't hard. I wouldn't agree to do the extra work for mom unless you initially agreed to do this. If you did, you can address this quickly. Writing a brief is easy and shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. You should be paid for your time if you doing extra work. I wouldn't write a homework packet. Suggest a text for the child instead. Say no. You can speak with the new teacher during school if the child (and teacher) are at your school.

3. Your cousin's kid? For a whole week? Heck no! That is mighty generous of you. I would back away from this!. Explain to her/him that you have to meet with colleagues. It's true, and you need to put yourself first. Otherwise, you'll miss out on stuff that will cause you fits while you are babysitting your charge.

4. Walk every morning . Then, if you can, start jogging at night. The two-a-days will stoke your metabolism. You'll lose the weight. Jogging on soft turf is the way to go.

Learn to say no. No one will think differently of you. Enjoy the rest of August. You have three weeks left. They are yours. Own them.

whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Bigfoot

Mikhail's message
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You have some great ideas. I am assuming you are a male and Russian (?) not that it matters. It is so nice to see people focusing on positive ideas like you, OP please remember this although I know it is so difficult to do. The more we focus on the positive we can actually change our brain patterns and become more happy.

Mikhail I see you are Canadian and so am I, I really like how you "shot from the hip" you are honest but you mean well. I was a sub last year but am doing a maternity this year. I think Subbing in Canada is a little different.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

KBTeacher

Too much!!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would cancel the babysitting if possible and meet with your team. If not, is the child older and able to keep busy with books or something if you take him with you?

Tell tutoring mom to keep working on skills you reviewed with her child. School will start soon enough and she will be getting homework to keep her practicing.

As for the weight - start eating healthy now and try to get some workout routine going. Even walking for a few minutes a day will make you feel better and relieve the stress. The 28th may seem just around the corner, but if you start now you'll be feeling the difference by then - at least more energetic. Also, start getting enough sleep now if you don't already have a good sleeping pattern in place.
KBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cali11

I feel ya
Old 08-09-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm the kind of person that cannot say "no" as well, so I totally understand where you are coming from. It's hard, but people like us need to watch out for ourselves or else we will stretch ourselves thin and will not be able to perform optimally on any of the tasks that we have accepted. I know, I was once working 3 jobs at one time, just because I didn't have the nerve to say "no."

Good luck to you!
cali11 is offline   Reply With Quote