Help

BusyBoard

Fidgets (again)

>

teacherwriter

Fidgets (again)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I'm at a school that permits students to fidget. A lot. Spinners are banned; so is slime. After that, it's teacher's discretion. The prevailing choice seems to be fidget cubes. A lot of students draw all over their papers. We can even allow chewing gum. I have two questions.

First, at what point does a fidget become a toy? To be honest, I'm struggling to get a lot of work out of these kids. There's a lot of distracted behavior and learned helplessness, and they'd rather do anything than work, even for a little bit. The fidgets aren't flying around the room, thank goodness, but I can't tell that they improve performance either.

And second, I need to get some fidgets. What works well and is inexpensive, since I have to buy them myself? I can't pay $4 or $5 for just one.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I got my fidget cubes on Amazon
Old 09-01-2017, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for less than $2 each back in May. I am not sure what they cost on there right now.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Fidgets
Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hate them all. Over 19 years of teaching I had maybe 5 kids who benefited from them AND used the appropriately.

The cube is the best but I have no idea about cost.

IMHO, most kids use them to distract themselves from learning. Give them an iPad or Xbox and they wouldn't need a fidget.

I am old and crotchety today.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Fidgets
Old 09-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

DS likes these. They are cheap...and quiet!

https://therapyinabin.com/products/bendeez-stick/
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Hokie
Old 09-02-2017, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've seen those. That's the toy that one student (not in my class) likes to wrap it into a spiral and put it up next to his eye socket so he can look through it. (I understand that your kiddo has autism, and I do not mean this as a criticism of him or his use of that fidget, just that it's another example of what in my school situation might be playing, not fidgeting to concentrate or calm.)

teacherwriter

Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
IMHO, most kids use them to distract themselves from learning. Give them an iPad or Xbox and they wouldn't need a fidget.
I saw that this week too. They were totally unable to concentrate, couldn't think, wouldn't work. Part of the lesson was to spend 5-10 minutes decorating a brochure we made together. Suddenly the room got real quiet as everyone colored. I see the same effect with handwriting practice too. I guess someone would say the writing/coloring motion provides the same focus as the fidgeting. I'm inclined to say the kids didn't like the work but love the play (or, in the case of writing practice, what they perceive as play). This is going to be a looooooong year. Sigh.

SusanTeach

velcro
Old 09-02-2017, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just posted this same thing on another thread. Put a piece of velcro (the soft side) under their desk. Even the dots work. They can rub on it to fidget. Doesn't disturb anyone.

They're not entitled to the type of fidget device they want. They get something that doesn't distract others and either use it or not. That's their choice.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Your post
Old 09-02-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
That's the toy that one student (not in my class) likes to wrap it into a spiral and put it up next to his eye socket so he can look through it
I can find fault with any fidget. Some kids could potentially benefit from a fidget, many do not. We have specific expectations for DS on how he uses things. If he uses them inappropriately, they are taken away.

You asked for inexpensive fidget suggestions. Thus my suggestion.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You shouldn't have to purchase these on your own dime.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 09-02-2017, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm sorry, unless they have an IEP or 504 that states they need one of these devices, I don't want to see one in my classroom. I do like the velcro idea though.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Rm. 802

I saw
Old 09-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

spinners recently at Dollar Tree (green one). Have you watched the Gerry Brooks video on spinners...I find it hilarious...you may not. We banned them all and kids who need them need to bring in a doctors excuse to have them in class. None last year and so far none this year.
Rm. 802 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you can't beat them, join them. TPT has a bunch of activities with fidgets. Although may be my attitude of love and let live has to do with the fact that I myself have a cube, and it really does help me focus. I'm a doer, not a sitter. If my hands are moving, I can make it through the most tedious of PD, and without disrupting anyone else. So I let my kids use them, I just set up rules and expectations that are strictly enforced.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote