Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

MS Washington DC trip spending $$

>

mhugs

MS Washington DC trip spending $$
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 AM

Grandson is going to Washington DC with the 8th grade in April. I am wondering how much spending money does a boy need? We are planning to give him cash for his birthday present before the trip. Don't want to be cheap , but not outlandish either.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Spending money
Old 02-12-2018, 08:12 AM

My room partner was a chaperone last year and she said that it depends on him a bit. She said that their meals are paid for, but if he wants snacks or souvenirs then she suggested between $100 and $200. She also suggested not giving cash, but a card instead. Safer.
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Dc
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Is it an overnight trip or just a day trip? If it's just a day trip and food is provided, I'd say around $50. If food is not provided, then I'd say about $70.

If it's an overnight, he'll probably want closer to $100. In DC all the museums are free, but he does have the option to give donations to each one.

I wouldn't personally give more than $100 for just spending money.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Nerdteach
Old 02-12-2018, 11:49 AM

The one our students go on is five day trip to both Washington DC and New York City. The kids like to get snacks and drinks and the company doesn't pay for that.
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 02-12-2018, 01:56 PM

My son went to Quebec City (we are in Canada) at that age. We gave him $200. Souvenirs, drinks, a couple lunches were not covered, snacks. It adds up. He did not spend it all.

imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

No Cash...
Old 02-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Go to your bank. In the old days, they were traveler's checks. These days, it is a bank card.

Be sure your grandson practices with it before he leaves. He will need to remember his pin #.

Yes...I think he should have a little cash, but not a whole lot. The bank card is safer.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

A loaf of bread a jar of jam.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM

My nephew who is now in his 40ís went on a trip to DC in the 8th grade. A week trip. On Wednesday he called and said he spent his money. My sister asked him how much money he had left. She then told him to buy a loaf of bread and a jar of jam if he was still hungry. (Food was included in the trip). Big lesson learned.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Everything is paid except, if I remember correctly when our DD went 5 years ago, things like souvenirs and snacks. We gave her a VISA GC with $100 on it and some small bills and change.

Its an exciting trip! I hope he has a great time!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

DD just got back...
Old 02-13-2018, 04:47 AM

Her trip all the food was included except snacks.

We send two boxes of teddy grahams for snacks, so that was cheap.

Remember sweat shirts and t shirts can run $40+ dollars.

DD wanted two hoodie sweat shirts. I gave her $150 dollars cash.

She told me kids had more issues handling debt cards/prepaid cards than keeping track of cash.

Some parents gave their kids a true credit card with a limit. If the card was stolen or lost, you aren't on the hook for money lost. A prepaid card lost or stolen is money gone.

ETA: my daughter said there was really no time to buy snacks out at the venues, and most of the kids bought a few things from the hotel vending machines to eat.

Her trip was over $800. The economy is good, but not that good. A good chunk of people really had to scrounge to make the magic happen. DD roommate had no spending money. I told DD if this girl want a book mark or some little keep sake to get it for her. If I was there, I would have done it .

I grew up in an always broke family, and it blows chunks when everyone around can get a little something (less than 5 dollars), and there you are.... I can part with $5 dollars for a bookmark or a pen.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 AM

My sister and I went to Disney on school trips when we were in high school. I was in ninth grade so just a little older than your DGD. Our parents did prepaid cards from triple a and then a small amount of cash. The good part about the card was that I'm pretty sure our parents had the option to reload the card remotely if needed (they didn't because neither of us spent alot, that's just the way we were) but they felt better having that option but our meals were not all included.

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM

I think most kids bring a ridiculous amount of money on these trips. How many snacks/drinks/souvenirs do they need? I have found that kids will spend whatever you give them. On a recent field trip, the kids were consumed with spending their money. At each stop, all they cared about was going to the gift shop. It was quite disturbing, actually.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote