The VENT

Sad "Aha" Moment

>

wearywasted1

wearywasted1

Sad "Aha" Moment
Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today, my colleagues and I were discussing our building's trend toward permissiveness. My colleague was bemoaning the administration's idea that discipline expectations are outdated. Administrator asked my colleague, "Why do students have to raise their hands? Adults don't." "Why do we ask students not to talk in the hall, teachers do?"

After our discussion and time to reflect my aha moment was that we've gone back to the outdated ideas that children are small adults. But this time, we are expecting students to have adult privileges and use them appropriately. The trouble is they do not have the same self-control and discipline that adults have because they've never had to learn them. Now, teachers are scorned for trying to teach those skills.

I think this trend will be very harmful to students.

I am a veteran teacher. I am not entrenched in my ways. I am open to trying new ideas and methods. I don't think things should stay the same just because they've always been that way. However, I have also been around long enough to know that many more trendy ideas end up being a problem than a help.

Heretostay124

Heretostay124

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm having issues with the kids raising their hands. I wonder if you and I work in the same school. It would be a crying shame if this was discussed behind my back.

Raising one's hand is the prelude of learning how to take turns and be civil in society. It begins in the classroom at a young age with the simple act of raising their hands. As adults, we take turns all the time, wait patiently in line until we are taken care off all the time! I even raise my hands in certain situations.

This is another trend to blame the teacher for everything. Off course, we are going to take it.

Kyteachmath

I agree with you wearywasted1
Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Children are not small adults and should not be treated as such. Adults can do those things because they have been taught how to act responsibly. You begin structured and then loosen the reigns, it doesn't work the other way around.
Kyteachmath is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love this Aha moment. I think you're exactly right. It really is anarchy when everyone is shouting over each other in the classroom or running through the halls. I don't think the kids like it either. They often complain that they don't like the school and the other kids are mean. We need to teach them some self-control.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been saying this for a long time. Children are NOT mini adults. However, parents think they are. They involve them in adult problems and situations. And, yes some admin on one hand want us to treat them as adults but then on another hand they want us to baby them and not hold them to appropriate expectations because they are only children.

DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Also, adults DO have to raise their hands. We raised our hands in college classes to participate in discussions. In staff meetings, we often raise our hands to get attention or get a turn to speak.

How ridiculous to pretend we don't follow the same rules we are trying to teach kids.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-26-2019, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Has administration ever been to a school committee meeting or a city council meeting? Audience (including school principals) have to wait to be recognized before speaking. It's not members of the committee or council can speak freely so I can too.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

IcyPeppermint

Difficulty wording my response
Old 04-26-2019, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am struggling to word my response without sounding uneducated, but this will have to do...In the military and college, which is where most kids will go right after school, there are similar, if not worse, rules and procedures to follow. I feel like in the last couple or more years, media and admin no longer see school for what it is--an institution. Since kids spend most of their time at school, media and admin want to make it like their home. No, we are here to teach them and because of that, we need order. As all of the other posters stated, as adults we have been trained to control ourselves without raising our hand or keeping silent in the halls. Adults do not usually jump over each other, or scream obscenities in the hallway. In the high school level, I noticed that these kids are considered adults until they need a consequence for their behavior and then it is "but remember, they are children." Anyway, with my nonsense post, I was trying to say that in school we train them to control themselves in outside situations and that college and the military will expect the same.
IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Ridiculous
Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Adults absolutely do raise their hands in a large group situation. If kids are working in small groups of three or four, no they don't raise hands. Just a normal conversation, just like adults. If adults are in a large group with a facilitator or speaker taking questions and comments, of course they raise their hands, just like students.
apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote