Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Remodeling and $$$

>

amiga13

Remodeling and $$$
Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 AM

I just read Clarity’s bathroom remodeling lament and I truly can feel her pain.

The first major remodeling we did was when we were young and turned our 900 sf starter home into 2000 beautiful sf. We hired some experts and did a lot of the work ourselves. I was a SAHM at the time and DH and my dad were brilliant laborers. We took out a loan to finance the labor and materials and we counted every nickel; when that wasn’t enough, I pulled my retirement to finish the job (yes, I paid it back later at exorbitant rates—I do NOT recommend this route, but it was our only choice). It was really really really hard physical work, but we were young and didn’t know about stress yet—we just kept working. I LOVED that house.

When I retired and sold the #2 family house (the 1 after the previous house—it was nearly new when DH was transferred), I bought a condo that needed a ton of work (I won’t bore you again with details). This time I paid other people to do the work. Thankfully, because the house sold for a good price, I could afford it this time. I was always appreciative and supplied water bottles.

What about you? Remodeling $$$ woes?

Last edited by amiga13; 10-10-2019 at 12:12 PM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 10-10-2019, 12:33 PM

I bought my house for a really good price and now making it my own I've put so much into it, that it's not a good deal anymore. I won't get my money back and I still have things I would like to do. But I do love my neighborhood and I can say that every little thing is my own.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 PM

No woes here but it was a very slow process and we have a bit more to do. We save for each project and then pay as we go. We have had companies come in to do floors and kitchen but for the master bathroom we had our son do the work and dh helped here and there. It is very very difficult to find trust worthy and reasonable people to do the work.DS was perfect for the job.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM

About 20 years ago we bought a year old spec home. The original owners had framed out for a sauna in the basement so we hired out to have that completed. Over the course of years we have not ever really done any “major” remodeling. We needed a new dishwasher about 6 years ago so that spiraled into all new kitchen appliances but then we needed to redo the hinges and knobs on the cabinets so while we were at it we got new countertops, sink, and flooring. DH is big enough to admit he doesn’t know how to do those kinds of things so we hired out for it. (Except the hinges and knobs : Several years ago he did replace the bathroom sink and countertop and vanity lights, and we hired out for converting the tub into a walk in shower. We have had the floors redone in the kitchen, dining, living room, both bathrooms, and hallways. There have been a few other updates too, that DH did, and a lot that I would like to have done, but we are both frugal and have prioritized to get a new roof (next week) and more energy efficient windows (probably next summer). We have done a lot of landscaping on our own. Whatever we do, we pay for in full.

I always try to differentiate between wants and needs. I truly love our house and its floor plan. It is home.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think my DH and I have come full circle
Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 PM

with our homes. Our tiny first home was a mess. My DH remodeled it and about 18 months later we sold it for twice what we paid for it. Our next home where we lived for years and years underwent an addition, added an inground pool and upgraded the kitchen and bathrooms. We made a profit when we sold it, but not as much as we did on our first home. The house we live in now was designed for us by an architect $$$ and built by a custom builder $$$. We put in a lot of extras and many things are perfect for us but not a big deal for anyone else who might like to live here. I have a feeling when we or our kids have to sell it they might get only half of what we spent on it. Oh, well. Won't be our problem. We had kids for a reason.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 PM

We do most of the labor when we do renovations, so it always winds up costing more than we thought!

We needed to replace the bathroom floor last winter. We found a floor we liked at it was supposed to cost about $250 for the materials.

We wound up getting new flooring, a new vanity, new mirror and lights, new fan, new shower stall, paint, trim, and we wound up scraping the ceiling and repainting. A grand total of $1500.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM

1st house: built in the late 90s. Still had wallpaper everywhere. We ripped it out and textured and painted. We did hire someone to help with texturing. But the rest was us. Then we replaced all the flooring. We did the living room and master bed/closet ourselves. Then we hired out for the rest of the house as I was pregnant. Also replaced fence ourselves.

New house: new build. Almost done!! But... ripping out flooring and replacing with what I want at half the cost of to build it that way. I will also have to add a kitchen backsplash, but I can do that.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 10-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Remodeling Woes:

This old house of mine....we paid a lot for a total gut job.

We have renovated the ....

Landscaping-which includes fence, underground sprinkler, paver patio, two retaining walls, removal of old lawn and trees and given new lawn and trees, new walkway, and two new steps.

Siding- which includes new vinyl siding, gutters, and gutter guards.

Kitchen Reno-which includes new 1/2 bath, moving kitchen into the old dining room and making the old kitchen a pantry/ mud room, and electric update (200 amp service)

Bathroom Reno-we remodeled our bathroom upstairs-complete gut.

Random updates-new chimney lining (both flues), skim coat of all the walls upstairs and downstairs, complete insulation of attic (diy), fireplace renovation (diy), ripped up carpet and had all the hardwood floors refinished.

Total we probably spent $150k in updating our home.

Upcoming:

Just ordered a New front door-$2300 not too bad includes installation of new door and storm door. Should be installed right after Thanksgiving.

Basement renovation-right now is quoted at 41,000 for a basement movie theater, 1/2 bath, wet bar, and storage. It’s all for Dh. I’m sure that price is going up though. We are starting right after Christmas.

On our wish list:

Paver our entire driveway and make it heated so we won’t have to shovel it in the winter in our old age.

Redo our side porch and make it a wrap around front porch.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

remodeling
Old 10-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Our first remodeling project 12 years ago was the kitchen. My house was built in 1976 and was showing its age. The original kitchen was small and dark and enclosed, so we opened it up to the rest of the living space, gutted it and reconfigured it to make it much roomier. The contractor promised a 6 week time frame but it ended up being almost 3 months. It was apparently very difficult at the time to find subcontractors because of the big housebuilding boom.

During those 3 months I cooked on a large picnic table on a portable propane camping stove in the living room, and did the dishes on the front porch. Considering that the front porch is viewable from the street, I got lots of odd looks from my neighbors. I felt like a member of the Beverly Hillbillies.

In subsequent years we remodeled all three bathrooms whenever we had money and added a powder room, so guests did not have to go through our bedroom or to another floor to use the restroom.

The next project will be extending our front porch, but it will be expensive since it will require a lot of concrete work.

We have only done remodeling when we had the cash to pay for it.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Remodel
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM

We are neck deep in our remodel right now. We are creating a master suite from 2 bedrooms and a small master bathroom. The bedroom is mostly done, the closet built in are done, just need flooring and trim. Now we are working on the bathroom. Walls are built and painted. We are installing the tile this weekend. My clawfoot tub has been ordered. Dh is building all the cabinets. We are doing all the work ourselves. The entire house has pine walls and ceilings. We are replacing them all eventually. It is overwhelming but I love seeing our dreams come true.

angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Remodeling
Old 10-10-2019, 05:04 PM

My first house was a long remodeling process. When I bought it (for the views and acreage), it was a one room shell, with no heat or air, and an outhouse for a bathroom. I figured if my ancestors survived in similar circumstances, so could I. Over time I more than doubled the square footage and added insulation, a full bath, a porch, central HVAC, and a small but nice kitchen with custom cabinets, among other improvements. An architect designed everything to maximize the great views. I will always love that house, which was a learning process and a true adventure for me. My experiences with all the workmen were always positive, for which I'm very grateful. I lived there very happily for 39 years.

However, after a long search I have recently moved since deciding that closer to town is where I want to be as I age. I am delighted to have found a lovely house near a beautiful park and so many other amenities, plus all my favorite stores. And I'm having fun making it perfect for me.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM

I grew up in a DIY family, so I bought a house with a lot of room for improvement. Within the first few years, I had redone everything except the kitchen & utility room. Iím pretty good with home projects and finding deals, but it always seems to take more time or money than I plan. Iíve learned that ďfits most standardĒ items will NEVER fit mine.

Within the past five years Iíve repainted and remodeled the outside and added a master suite & additional garage. I hired all of that done. Iím retiring from the DIY days.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

We built our home in 1995
Old 10-11-2019, 10:15 AM

on shaky credit and a construction loan so we went bare bones, basic basics and doing much ourselves. After a house fire in 2009, we used the insurance money plus a little home equity to upgrade in the areas being rebuilt. Any upgrades in the ensuing years where all DIY and baby steps.

This year, we had roof damage after several bad storms so insurance covered a new roof. We went with a beautiful metal roof installed by local Amish. Then we splurged some savings on getting new exterior doors and flooring in all the common rooms (no bedrooms.)

We would like to do more as money allows--Some changes to the siding and porches, new landscaping and raised-bed gardening outside, maybe build a garage... We need to rebuild our savings first though.

Darn money... jk, I am sooo appreciative we had enough to do what we did.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Good thread
Old 10-12-2019, 02:11 PM

Alright PT pros. I want just a very simple remodel to my bathroom which is truly a ď water closet ď 😂 . My house was built in the late 50ís . Same bathtub but was thinking about a shower... but I want the walls done ... not picky just want to fresh it up . Any price range ? ...TIA
readerabbit is online now   Reply With Quote