Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New HVAC

>

linda2671

New HVAC
Old 05-18-2020, 06:45 AM

We just bought a new air conditioner four years ago, and it is already needing to be replaced. DH is a "buy the cheapest you can get by with" type of guy, while I am a "buy a good one so it will last longer" type of woman. Our furnace is 18 years old, but is on its last leg, so we have decided to buy both at once. Sometimes you can get a deal when you buy them both together.
Does anyone have any suggestions for ones that you really have liked? We have Trane at school, and it's always messed up. Our building is only 5 years old, but our air conditioning and heating seems like it's a century old. So I'm going to say Trane is out.
Any ideas from you?

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-18-2020, 06:56 AM

Our new AC is being installed as I type! 21 years old for the one being pulled out.

We went with a local guy, who is young and building a business. We had gotten quotes from 2vither places for Trane. This guy uses Heil and says he will out a Heil up against a Trane any any day of the week! He says you pay for brand name popularity with Trane. We shall see! This guy was a cheapest. My hope is that it lasts 20 years, but as with everything made today I do have my doubts!

We did not replace heat and that unit is just as old, but appears to be in better shape. Fingers xxxx that it makes it at least 1 more year.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

I recommend Carrier. I had a not-top-of-the-line Carrier HVAC system put in my last house and it was terrific. It replaced the 25 year old Carrier.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

furnace/AC
Old 05-18-2020, 08:03 AM

We just replaced our 65 year old natural gas gravity fed furnace last fall. It was basically a step up from a coal furnace heat air it rose up through the vents-no motor or moving parts.
We now have a Rheem forced hot air furnace and central air conditioning. DH worked closely for years with the city HVAC guys and it was a brand they preferred.

We had estimates from 5 companies. Didn't pick the 2 cheapest because their contracts didn't cover all the specs we wanted nor the most expensive. We made sure it stated that payment would be made in full after the final city code inspection.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
We just replaced our 65 year old natural gas gravity fed furnace last fall.
That is amazing mhugs!!!

teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 05-18-2020, 10:19 AM

A couple of things.
1. Double-check your air returns. My previous house have 5 a/c units in 20 years. YEP. With newer systems, they need bigger returns. Once we figured that was the problem, it worked beautifully.

2. Don't count out Trane. My dad is in the industry for residential ones and they are top of the line. I have one in my house...in Texas... in 100*+ weather and we are cool as cucumbers. Works amazing!

3. Brands to use: Trane, Lennox, Carrier (Goodman is the non-brand name for Carrier. they are good as well.)

Make sure you check the SEER rating. 14-16 will be plenty for a home.
Be sure you sign up for the annual check-ups- in the Spring and Fall for the heater.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Trane zoned unit anyone?
Old 05-18-2020, 11:51 AM

Following this thread. At our spring check we had to have a lot of Freon (is that what it is?) put in. Guy said we may/may not be on last leg with this 23 year old unit.
Our house is a little over 2600 sq ft. Kinda right on the line when we built as to whether we needed 2. It has NOT heated and cooled over the years evenly. I quizzed the guy about it all. He said they are doing a Trane zoned unit in houses that want to say cut off part of house at a time. He said used to on a 2 story house with maybe just a game room upstairs they Would do 2 units, now they do a zoned unit where they cd turn off upstairs when not in use. (Ours not 2 story but we freeze on one and and visiting kids on other end burn up)
My husband thinks that will be the kind with too many bells and whistles that can go wrong.
Anyone have experience with a zoned unit for heating and cooling. Any brand.
Texas K-Girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 05-18-2020, 11:53 AM

I would find a company you trust and then buy what they recommend. I replaced my HVAC a few years ago and the company recommended a Rheem. I had lots of problems with it for the first year. Every time I would call the company back out to look at it. Eventually they replaced the exterior unit with a new one, which hasnít had one issue in many years. All of the visits and the replacement were free of charge. I donít blame Rheem, because any company can have a faulty unit sometimes. But I am glad the company who installed stood by their work.
Sasha B is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Hvac
Old 05-18-2020, 04:59 PM

I had a Lennox installed last year after 3 years ago having new HVAC put in my home..The first HVAC was an off brand that I did not know but it was cheap. That cost me $7500 to install, last year's replacement was $4700 using Lennox. Don't be cheap, and ask for a discount if you pay in cash.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We got an estimate
Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 AM

There is a LAD office here in town. The guy came out and gave us an estimate. It looks like $7500 to get York AC and furnace. The guy seems very knowledgable. He's been in the business for 45 years. There is a ten year warranty. That makes me feel better.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 05-19-2020, 08:55 PM

I have 2 Trane A/C units in my house (one upstairs and one downstairs), it was installed back in 2012 (according to the sticker) and we've not had an issue with it.

As for our heater, we have a boiler and radiator system (which is extremely overkill for Florida).

I know Trane is a top-tier AC unit for residential use, so I wouldn't base your decision on your experience with commercial models.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote