Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Hysterectomy

>

Seriously

Hysterectomy
Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 PM

I am scheduled to have a laparoscopic hysterectomy in a few weeks and I am so worried. I tend to worry about a lot of things. However, now I have additional time on my hands due to school closure, I keep obsessing over my upcoming procedure. I have a huge fear of something happening to me during surgery even though I feel I am pretty good health (even though I have hit the wonderful age that everything seems to fall apart ). Does anyone have success stories that will make me feel better?

Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Hysterectomy
Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 PM

I bet it goes well. I had my uterus removed due to fibroid tumors at about 40 years of age. No problems. Then about five years later I had to have one of my ovaries removed due to a cyst. Again all went well.

The hardest part for me was waking up each morning. Because you are still all night the soreness sets in and it is challenging to sit up and start moving again. However after you move around a while it is not so bad.

I did find that my full energy level did not return for several months.

The great part is you never have to have a period again. Yeah!

Try not to worry and good luck. When you feel like it let us know how you are doing after the procedure is finished.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 PM

Best. Surgery. Ever.

I had my uterus, both ovaries, and cervix removed in 2014. Surgery was vaginal with laparoscopy. I had surgery on Wednesday morning, stayed in the hospital until Friday, and went to jury duty on Tuesday. I didn’t return to work for five and a half weeks, but I was piddling around my house in a week. I did stay with my mom for a week after surgery just in case, but after my week checkup I spent home and was many myself.

My BFF had the Divinci Robot surgery (removed uterus and cervix) in late 2013. She spent one night in the hospital and arranged to work from home some during her recovery. Another friend had traditional open surgery in the early 2000’s. She had the longest recovery, but was back at work in 6 weeks,

My mom had laparoscopic removal of uterus, both ovaries, five lymph nodes, cervix, part of bowel, part of bladder, and omentum in 2017, and she spent less than 24 hours in the hospital.

None of us have had any regrets about the surgery. The two friends had their ovaries left intact, and they have each mentioned that they wish they’d gotten those removed as well. Otherwise, nobody has had anything negative to say about it.

Yes, it’s a big surgery, but it was so worth it.

I chose to do the hormone replacement, but none of the others I mentioned did. At my first checkup, I told the doctor that I felt better because my hormones were in check and I was no longer anemic. Plus, m6 hair was no longer oily, and my face was no longer super dry and flaky. He said that was a surprise bonus for most people. I have the best story. My nurse came in the second day to help me to the bathroom for the first time. I was still full of meds, and he asked me how I felt. I told him I thought my hoo-ha was inside out.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-22-2020, 08:32 PM

Have you heard of the Hyster Sisters Support Forum?

https://www.hystersisters.com/

No matter what happens, there will someone on the site who has had a similar experience.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy a year ago because they suspected ovarian cancer (it was benign) and the best advice I got was to wear a binder and follow the lifting restrictions explicitly.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Hysterectomy
Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 years ago for uterine cancer. I had a good hospital experience and recovery. Also good was the cancer was only on the lining so no radiation or chemo. I followed doctor's orders and did fine. The only unusuall thing was I couldn't get comfortable in bed and slept for 2 weeks in my recliner.
Best wishes to you. Keep us posted.

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 05-23-2020, 12:20 AM

The people I know who've had laparoscopic hysterectomies breezed through them.

I would not recommend reading hyster sisters unless you need it AFTER the surgery. Some scary stuff, but very helpful for me when I had a difficult recovery AFTER a total abdominal hysterectomy. If I'd read some of the stuff before, I probably would have freaked. Don't venture into specifics unless you need them!

You know what? Even though I had a tough recovery it was still the best thing I ever did and I've always wished I'd done it 5 years earlier.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2005
Old 05-23-2020, 03:45 AM

due to uterine cancer. My best advice is to walk as much as you can as soon as they’ll let you. My biggest problem was the staples they used to close my incision. They were uncomfortable. You shouldn’t have to deal with that since your will be laparoscopic. Be sure to follow their guidelines about lifting and pushing.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

cyclones

Why did I wait so long?
Old 05-23-2020, 04:13 AM

I put off having my hysterectomy. When I finally had the surgery I was amazed by how much better I felt. I should not have put it off. I had very little pain post surgery and recovery was better than I expected.

Hang in there. You will be feeling amazingly better soon!
cyclones is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Hysterectomy
Old 05-23-2020, 04:14 AM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy at the age of 49. No regrets. No pain or discomfort. The only issue was I was so dizzy after the surgery I couldn’t be sent home that day as planned. I always get like that after surgery so nobody was surprised.

I was back to work in less than a month. I could have gone back sooner, but I had a rough class so I was in no hurry!
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

You can do this!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 AM

I had it done and then a close friend did a several weeks later. Both successful, both no complications during surgery or through recovery. The only thing I will caution you about is that is IS major surgery despite how “easily” it is done. Your body will need rest and you will need to listen to your body. Don’t rush to return to normal. It will happen!

sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 05-23-2020, 06:01 AM

Best surgery ever!

I had one in 2012. It went well. Recovery was easy. I spent one night in the hospital. I did have quite a bit of nausea as the anesthesia wore off and had to get meds for that. Otherwise, no problems.

Mine got rid of my migraines, too. Bonus!
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

PetsRunMyLife

very encouraged
Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 AM

I, too, am scheduled for a hysterectomy this summer. I'm so encouraged by everyone's positive experiences! Having spoken with a few coworkers who've gone through this, they've all had similar "wish I'd done it sooner" comments.

Sending positive thoughts to the OP!
PetsRunMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Vaginal hysterectomy
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 AM

When I was 54, I did keep my ovaries. I could have gone back to work in a few days. There was literally no pain after. No painkillers needed.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 AM

Just like Ima said .....Best Surgey Ever without a doubt.

I had full abdominal hysterectomy when I was 39. Best health decision I ever made. Ya, the first week or so you will be a bit stiff and sore but you will feel better quickly. Follow the lifting instructions and don't over do it with your activity and you will be fine, but be sure to walk around to keep yourself from getting stiff, you will feel so much better. I remember doing laps from the kitchen, to the dining room, and around the living room and back into the kitchen.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Seriously

Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM

Thank you everyone! Surgery is so scary. I truly appreciate you sharing your experiences and advice. It helps to hear so many positive stories. Thanks a bunch!!!!!

PetsRunMyLife - good luck with your surgery! Positive vibes for us both!!
Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-23-2020, 05:56 PM

I had a full hysterectomy 4 years ago due to early stage endometrial cancer. The surgery went well and I was in the hospital for 1 night. My biggest problem was nausea off and on for about 6 weeks afterwards, but it wasn't debilitating. I ate light, but I was able to eat and drink and otherwise function. I never needed any prescription pain meds other than what I was given in the hospital. Tylenol and Advil worked fine once I got home, so a lot of soreness, but not a lot of pain! You will be fine!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

One of my best decisions!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:05 PM

I had one in late July 2018. My quality of life improved dramatically over the course of the year.

I was in surgery around 8:00 and on my way home by noon. I recommend taking Colace or some type of stool softener. The anesthesia causes issues later. The next day I had a little shoulder pain from the anesthesia.

I was up and moving quickly after. I took it easy for about 4 days. My belly button was the only sore part. Now almost 2 years later, I can't even see where the incisions were.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Hysterectomy
Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 PM

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2013 due to huge fibroids. I agree it was the best surgery ever! I can't believe that I lived with painful and long periods for so long and kept putting it off. It is so normal to experience worry that something will happen to you. I was so nervous that I was going to die on the table and leave my family. As you can see those fears were unfounded. When I arrived I was very nervous and they gave me something in pre-op to calm me down. That helped so much!

Just a tip, if you have stairs in your home, get a mini refrigerator for your bedroom. That helped so much to have snacks and water etc. right by my bed during my recovery. Make sure you check out the Hystersisters website! It was amazing support and is highly recommended and respected. Good luck!
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote