Will you still teach if you have to do distance learning? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Will you still teach if you have to do distance learning?

>

Sbkangas5

Will you still teach if you have to do distance learning?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have yet to hear anyone that says they loved it. Will you still teach if you have to do full distance learning?

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Will I work?
Old 06-07-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I need a job. I will have to do what I can so I can work. Therefore, I will have to adapt. However, my health and safety is vital so I won’t be silent if my district doesn’t take the adult perspective into account.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-07-2020, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's certainly not my preference, but I need a job, so of course I will. From everything I'm hearing I really think we'll be going back, but of course no one knows what things will look like in August at this point.

Although I think online learning is wildly ineffective, if some of the safety measures that are being thrown around are really going to be expected, I might rather teach online. I can't imagine things like mask wearing all day, students staying at desks all day, students never leaving the room- no specials/lunch/recess (students eat at desks), students never share supplies, we all stay 6 feet apart at all times, etc. If that's really what in person instruction looks like I don't want to go back. But again, I need a job, so if that's what we're doing I guess that's what I'll be doing.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

full distance learning
Old 06-08-2020, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't hate distance learning per se. Working remotely actually has been better for my mental health.

And I have picked up a lot more tech skills than I would have otherwise.

But remote learning does not work for the vast majority of students in my school and district.

I agree with everything Hayley said. If we have to do the social distancing and health measures being bandied about, that is not going to work either.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-08-2020, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will still teach. Yes. I even considered volunteering to do distance learning if they need some teachers in the classroom and some remote. However I'd likely only volunteer if it's by school. I would like to remain at my school, not a district-wide position.

I think distance learning is awful, and a real pain for kindergarten. But social distancing in a school building is a joke so I'd rather not deal with that.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 06-08-2020, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes. I would presume that most teachers who are not yet of retirement age will still (have to) teach, no matter what the scenario.

I didn't mind remote teaching, per se. It had its benefits. However, I know for certain my students didn't learn nearly as much as had we been in class!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Online Teaching
Old 06-08-2020, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes definitely,

It’s my passion & career.

I have taught 23 years, & have 7 yrs. until retirement so

I will teach online or in person.

I want to teach & support my students regardless of online teaching

Online had some benefits.

I just enjoy teaching.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 06-08-2020, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will if it's required, but I don't think it's the best way for the majority of my students. I found difficult to teach from home: dog demanding my attention, distractions around the house, connectivity issues, and students have the same or more distractions. Only about 20% of my students participated. But it was nice to sleep in and not have to deal with attitudes in the classroom!
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2020, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think that if we do online, we might have teachers in the building this time. Internet is ragged here.

I also think most of us have to keep our jobs, so if that is what happens that is what we will do. If big changes happen here, I probably would volunteer to do online teaching, especially if no one else steps up. As a specials teacher, I am a little concerned about this upcoming year.

Only time will tell.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-08-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I didn’t love it. However, considering we were thrown into it so suddenly, it worked.

I will continue to teach because it is my career. I’m 1.3 years from been able to retire, and I have to go to age 55 for full benefits. (5 years, 3 months)

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Distance Learning
Old 06-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For us, I thought it was a well thought-out joke. We tried to teach, but the constraints put in place by the state and district made things so hard - no new materials, no “homework,” no grades that would actually decrease the overall grade. Everything was optional. I understand a need for equity, it we put everything in our power to give into the kids’ hands including meals, hotspots, and chrome books. I have five kids out of 50 consistently participate. Teachers who have core classes reported about 20 out of 140 consistently working and/or attending.

I will and can do it. But we definitely need to adjust our accountability and expectations. We need due dates. New material should be taught. Grades should count for something. Turning an assignment in should be attendance for the day. Maybe not all of that or maybe I missed something. But we need to think through how we can do this so kids are actually INVESTED.

Also if it is the same, I’ll still do it. I need my job!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Yes
Old 06-08-2020, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, I'll still teach, regardless. I hope we are back in person, unless they make us wear a mask all day. Then I'd prefer e-learning!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 06-09-2020, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Online learning, for most people, SUCKS. This is partly because they are accustomed to being in a traditional classroom, and because most districts do not have adequate funding to have a robust LMS that is suitable for full e-learning.

Personally, I have decided not to tempt fate in the chance schools reopen, due to my compromised immune system from my radiation and immunotherapy treatments. So I will not be returning to my district, instead, I will be working toward my Ed.D and have taken an assistantship teaching undergraduate classes. While I am fairly certain my university will be online in the fall, I made arrangements to teach classes that were scheduled to be online anyway.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Kudzoo

First Year Teacher
Old 06-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am a brand new teacher, although I am middle aged. It is a second career for me. I started with no notice and no training when a teacher left abruptly. Three weeks later school closed because of Covid.

I am excited to go back next year. My district has released the scheduling plan, having half the students Tues & Thurs, and the other half Wed & Fri, with a teacher work day each Monday.

I am a huge fan of hybrid learning. Admittedly, I work with older students which is a better fit.

My biggest concern is that I don't know any specifics for my own children yet. I am a single mom with 2 in middle and 1 elementary. I can't image what that will look like yet.

What are other parents of school-age children anticipating for caring for and supporting their own children?
Kudzoo is offline   Reply With Quote