Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Healthy sides

>

twin2

Healthy sides
Old 06-15-2020, 02:11 AM

My husband and I are enjoying bell pepper and zucchini these days. It's too early for fresh ones here, but the small ones we buy from the grocery store are definitely convenient right now. I like to shred a little zucchini and chop a little bell pepper and cook in our eggs. Then I like to lightly fry zucchini in olive oil. We don't miss the bacon if we have the veggies. The fried zucchini or squash is good with dinner as well. It's quick and easy to cook like that and we love it. I usually buy one yellow squash for every zucchini I buy, so if I don't cook zucchini I will cook the yellow squash in the same manner. Tell me about a healthy side you like.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I love broccoli salad
Old 06-15-2020, 04:06 AM

It has broccoli, chopped apples, pecans, dried cherries, red onion, shredded carrots and has a dressing made of light mayo and light sour cream with a bit of lemon juice.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

green beans
Old 06-15-2020, 04:39 AM

We have experimented with ways to spruce up green beans.
*One was adding roasted tomatoes , tossing them in a stove top pan.
*Another was a cold salad. Just blanch then so they're still firm and bright green, toss with some onion, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Simple and dish!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 06-15-2020, 04:55 AM

I'm trying new recipes that fit the ingredients we have in our pantry, refrigerator, and freezer. Here are the latest recipes from Skinny Taste and Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street for side dishes that we’ve enjoyed.

Potato and Green Bean Salad - I used half of the potatoes and half of the dressing. Also, I added about ten halved cherry tomatoes. We had this as a main course and HD really liked it.
https://www.skinnytaste.com/potato-a...salad-325-pts/

"Milk Street Director of Education Rosemary Gill shows us a simple technique for taking almost any frozen vegetable and turning it into something with a deep char and great taste." We used frozen broccoli with fresh ginger and gran marsala for seasoning. Not for the faint of heart but we loved this!
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=613414922596354

Last edited by Renea; 06-15-2020 at 06:21 AM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-15-2020, 05:01 AM

My DH thinks I am weird, but I truly enjoy any steamed veggies with nothing on them. Once in a while I put balsamic or red wine vinegar on green beans or use Ruth Anne’s Muskego Ave. seasoning (Penney’s) on broccoli or cauliflower. He slathers on butter.

Roasted cauliflower is delicious also. Just a few sprays of olive oil and freshly ground salt and pepper. Guess I am not a fancy eater

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 AM

Recently I have been cooking an ear of corn and then cutting the kernels off. I halve some grape tomatoes and then toss them together with a little salt and pepper. One time I also added some diced raw zucchini.

My favorite is roasted vegetables - butternut squash and broccoli are favorites. It is just too hot to have the oven on for so long right now so I will save that for the fall.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

What about an airfryer?
Old 06-15-2020, 08:11 AM

We have used the big Emeril airfryer that DH insisted on getting for lots of various meats & some potatoes sometimes. We usually do roasted veggies on the outdoor grill.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

We love zucchini and
Old 06-15-2020, 08:14 AM

summer squash with a little onion, celery, carrots and some seasoning. We usually add some butter & a few ice cubes, then wrap it in foil and add it to the grill when we are doing marinated chicken breasts or steaks or even burgers & sausage or hot dogs.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Grilled sides
Old 06-15-2020, 08:45 AM

I bought a grill wok at Ace For $10 last summer and grill almost all our veggies these days.

I just rough chop one or more types of veggies, toss in olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, or whatever floats your boat. My favorites right now are the McCormick seasoning blends with Himalayan salt. I think there are 3.

Also LOVE grilled cabbage. Oh so good!! Just google it and there are lots of recipes.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I like Brussel Sprouts
Old 06-15-2020, 08:47 AM

I clean and cut in half. Then cook on the stove top in a little olive oil until brown. I add a little salt and pepper and some Balsamic Vinegar. Yum!

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Empty Nester

Side Dishes
Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 AM

One favorite side dish that we love at this time of year is Cowboy Caviar (also known as Texas Caviar). Itís super easy to make and is always a huge hit whenever I serve it. You can change up the ingredients according to your personal preferences. When I made it this weekend, I used a large package of frozen corn, thawed (you can also use canned corn which has been drained or kernels from 4-5 ears of uncooked corn). Add 2 diced bell peppers (I like to use red and yellow or orange), 2 finely chopped jalapeŮo peppers, 1 diced red or Vidalia onion (more or less to taste), 1 can drained and rinsed black beans, 1-2 diced avocado, 2 diced plum tomatoes (seeds and pulp removed), 1/2 bunch minced cilantro, juice from 3 limes. Gently mix to combine ingredients. Add coarse sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cumin to taste. Optional to add Ground chipotle chili pepper for extra kick. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours. Can be made ahead, but donít add avocados until ready to serve.
Empty Nester is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Roasted sweet potatoes
Old 06-15-2020, 09:52 AM

My husband has never been a fan of sweet potatoes.
Well . . . only the ones at Thanksgiving that taste more like a dessert!!
I have been doing spicy roasted. Got the recipe off Pinterest. Think, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder. Hardest part is cubing the sweet potato. I have also started getting the frozen sweet potato fries and adding my own spices to. My husband requests them more than once a week now.
Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote