Help

Future Teachers

New Teacher Supplies

>

BlessedbyKids

New Teacher Supplies
Old 06-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can y'all help a new teacher out, lol! I am getting close to finishing my degree in Elementary Education and am dreaming about what supplies I want/need. I do not know what grade level yet. I would love some suggestions that would work for all grade levels. What do I absolutely need? What would be really nice to have? Thank you in advance!!

BlessedbyKids is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 06-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to teaching!

Please don't buy anything yet!

First, every district is different. Some supply just the basics (paper, pencils, crayons, etc.) and some don't. Some more affluent communities give you money to buy what you want or need. Sometimes the PTO gives some supply money.

Second, you will have no idea what is already in your future classroom like classroom libraries, easels, rugs, dry erase boards, etc.

Third, every principal and/or district has their own rules about fidelity to the curriculum. Some allow teachers to bring in materials to enhance the curriculum and some don't want to see you using any extra stuff.

Last and probably most important right now, with Covid-19, we have no idea whether school will be in-class, online, or a hybrid model for the next couple of years.

Don't buy anything yet. You'll have plenty of time once you land your first job. Once you are teaching for a few months, you'll figure out what you really want and need.

Good luck!
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

BlessedbyKids

Old 06-18-2020, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Jov, thank you so much for this advice! I am so excited and practically drooling over all the new school supplies, lol. Waiting is probably the very best thing I can do. Thanks again!

Haley23

Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally agree with all of the reasons the pp stated. I also came here to say don't buy anything yet.

When I got my first teaching job, I was so excited to have a job (the market was HORRIBLE at that time) that I ran out and bought a bunch of "teacher stuff." I used so little of it.

Firstly, many of the things I bought were already in my classroom and/or provided by the school. I also got a $200 supply budget. Secondly, I based what I thought I needed on my student teaching, and my "real job" ended up just being totally different and some of the stuff I bought just wasn't needed at all.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

New teacher
Old 06-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would invest in cute yet comfy shoes, and a nice lanyard for your ID. Maybe you could get a nice ďTeacher BagĒ or a cart on wheels if you donít travel light.

I agree not to get school supplies yet. I hope you love teaching as much as I do! Welcome!

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I echo what everyone is saying about wait. However, some of the things I got after a few years of being in my own class are things like a good stapler (stays on my desk), a paper cutter I could store and use in my room, and a good hole punch.

I also love having my own personal computer that I can use at home so I don't have to lug my school device back and forth. Keeping things (plans, files) in the cloud really helps that!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Lmc762

Old 06-18-2020, 11:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Before you buy anything: Check out what things are supplied to you and what you have in your classroom. Also ask if the school can cover costs for supplies or give you a form to request some. (Mine did). No one knows what school will look like in the fall, I would definitely hold off.

If you have an itch to purchase something, you cannot go wrong with Flair pens or Papermate ink joys. They are my absolute fav! You cannot have too many pens.
Lmc762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Desk
Old 06-25-2020, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Itís hard to know what youíll need until you have a classroom, but the things Iíve kept with me over the years are my favorite brand of red pens and my post-it note dispenser. Wherever I am, having those things makes me feel at home.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

pinacolada

Books
Old 06-29-2020, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You should start collecting books for your classroom library. Districts do give supplies and a yearly additional budget (some do).
pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Jessica123

Old 07-03-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Please don't buy anything yet!
I agree with jov.
ANYTHING COULD BE A WASTE.

You should wait to see what you "inherit" from the last teacher who is leaving you the classroom, see what your school will provide, and what you absolutely need!

Your grade level coteachers may be able to help you more than any of us, once you get hired.

You might buy crayons for $1 but times 25 kids that's $25, and you may get them free from your school.

Patience.
Just meditate and wait.
Just meditate and wait.

If that money is "just burning a hole in your pocket" buy a refrigerator or microwave, something you can possibly use personally anywhere.

Jessica123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mogr2

Ck out the FB group: Teacher Bargain Basement
Old 07-26-2020, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Lots of teachers selling surplus or un-needed items for lots of reasons, whether they've changed grades or retired.
You can also request what you are looking for! There is also a sister site: TBB Lounge Discussion.

Hope that helps you!
Mogr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BlessedbyKids

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I appreciate the advice! I only indulged in a few things that were on a great sale at Staples. My grandkids can use these if I don't need them in my classroom, lol. I just could not help myself. I will definitely wait until I know more with my grade level and what I will actually need. Even books for the classroom are hard to get due to not knowing what grade level. I have several and am looking for used/free books offered that I can get and keep in storage. My husband may just kill me once I have him help me take all of this stuff to the attic!