Help

BusyBoard

Switching grades during pandemic

>

Idaho4me

Switching grades during pandemic
Old 06-26-2020, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I applied for a third grade opening as I needed a break from a few stresses/people. Now friends are saying to pull my transfer request-- third has too much testing as well as new material for online. I have only taught K-2--loved them all. For those that have moved to third, am I crazy? I am totally confused now.

Idaho4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-26-2020, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would not choose to change grade levels right now, as there are already so many uncertainties regarding next year, but if you feel okay with that then there's no reason to pull your request.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Different types of stressors
Old 06-26-2020, 10:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know how state testing will go forward next year if attendance turns out to be greatly affected by Covid-19. I do know many teachers, after having been in a testing grade for several years, have found it difficult to get assigned back into a non-testing grade. In my experience, K-2 teachers didn't want to vacate those positions after they got in. Both of my former 4th grade colleagues, ended up leaving the school in order to move into K-2 positions to be relieved of the standardized testing pressures.

Being in a testing grade has its own pressures. My school had LOTS of meetings devoted solely to looking at state standards, teaching practices and regularly analyzed test scores toward the ultimate state test. We had to be creative to work in social studies, art and music, as well.

I'd say your decision depends on how much you need that break from the stressors in your current position. You already know you will be walking into a stressful unknown with all the adjustments for the virus. If you're the type of person who likes a challenge, is ready to learn a whole new curriculum, and you can handle change, then maybe you can move forward as planned.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

teach123

Old 06-27-2020, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to make the same decision, just opposite grades. We lost a teacher position in my grade so we would be totally departmentalized. I flipped flopped between moving to second grade ( not tested grade) and being self contained in my upper grade. Ultimately, I ended up going with what I didn't want which is departmentalized. For me, it was just too overwhelming to plan for a week students, b week students, and online at the same time. I do regret not moving since I am so ready for a change. I would get as much information as possible about district plans and go from there. Also, if possible, could your team share resources? Here, we typically share lesson plans and even copy for the grade level sometimes. I know everytime I have turned down a move I ended up regretting it. It is a really big decision and i wish you the best!
teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jessica123

Choices?!?!?!
Old 07-03-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would not choose to change grade levels right now, there are so many uncertainties regarding next year.

My principal moved me and with all the craziness going on, I just don't even have the passion to teach anymore! Choose Carefully!

Jessica123 is offline   Reply With Quote