Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Another shortage???

>

Seriously

Another shortage???
Old 07-06-2020, 12:26 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted. I tried to look but did not see anything posted. Have you heard there is a national change shortage now? I went to the grocery store yesterday and there was a flyer taped to the door about it. I never knew.

Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-06-2020, 12:32 PM

I read that but most place in my area are not accepting cash right now so it is not a huge issue.

I wish clorox would get moving on the wipes shortage.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Dillolynn1

Yep!
Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM

My brother works at a gas station and he says they have no change. They either give customers store credit or asking they'd like to donate what would be their change to charity.
Dillolynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 07-06-2020, 01:10 PM

I became aware of the quarter shortage when an apartment dweller couldnít find quarters to do her laundry!
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-06-2020, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know WHY there is a coin shortage? We went to Wendy's today and noticed the sign, as well. First time I had heard of it.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I generally do not deal in conspiracy
Old 07-06-2020, 01:24 PM

theories, but I have been hearing for a long time that there was a movement to phase out cash, period. Hmmm. Guess we will have to start using our stash, but then, I do not want to feed the beast. Plastic is the future. And then a little chip in your wrist tied to all important data, including your bank account. Problem is, not everyone has a bank account.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The Federal Reserve issued a statement to banks that coin allocations to banks, credit unions and other depository institutions will be reduced by 40 percent for the time being. The shortage, the statement said, is due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with mints closed and with stay-at-home orders reducing the amount of cash flowing in the country.

As regions begin opening and the demand for coins increases, the supply is too low to meet those demands as yet, though the Federal Reserve said that should be very temporary.
https://herald-review.com/business/l...7b3865aa7.html

Quote:
"We're working with the mint to increase supply, and we're working with the reserve banks to get that supply where it needs to be," Powell said. "So we think it's a temporary situation."

The U.S. Mint produced fewer coins than usual this spring in an effort to protect employees from infection. But the larger problem — as with many other pandemic shortages — is distribution.

During the lockdown, many bank lobbies where people can recycle coins were off limits. And coin-sorting kiosks in retail stores saw reduced traffic. With many businesses closed, unused coins piled up in darkened cash drawers, in pants pockets and on nightstands, even as banks went begging.

"The flow of coins through the economy ... kind of stopped," Powell said.

The Fed chairman stressed that this clog in the financial plumbing should clear quickly, now that businesses are reopening, and that supplies of coins should soon be back to normal.

Coinstar, which operates 17,000 coin-sorting kiosks around the country, says people have started cashing in more change as stay-at-home orders are lifted.
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/21/88095...w-toilet-paper
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 07-06-2020, 01:29 PM

I'm wondering if it is due to people not being able to go into bank lobbies to turn in their change? Maybe?

I know I have a tub that I've been wanting to take in to the bank to use their coin counting machine. Since I can't take it in, it's just been sitting in my car since March. I don't like to carry change around in my purse due to how heavy it gets, so usually just throw it into my "coin tub" when I get to the car. I then deposit it when it gets full.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-06-2020, 01:48 PM

i had heard (in passing, so wasn't sure) of a "quarter shortage". interesting.

feeling a little guilty that i have a jar of change in my bedroom...i collect all change and drop it in there until i can't stand it--then i exchange for an Amazon GC. i decided to wait until it's full this time. it probably has close to $70 in it!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-06-2020, 02:41 PM

I saw that at CVS the other day. I was going to look it up, but I forgot.

Maybe I could help and turn in the too small baskets of change I have!

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 07-06-2020, 03:55 PM

I just saw a sign at the cash register for this today! I no longer carry a purse, so carrying change is a problem for me. Most times, I try to pay in cash, so I guess I go back to a using a purse!
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

I saw
Old 07-06-2020, 06:06 PM

a sign at Lowe's yesterday! We had a leak and I had to grab supplies to fix it. When checking out they were asking for people to use plastic, correct change or any change you had! I forgot about it by the time I got to my computer to Google it.
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 07-06-2020, 08:45 PM

I usually use correct change but I donít want to stand in line and route through my coin purse. I still pay cash so my coins are adding up. I guess I better start using them.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-06-2020, 10:33 PM

Well crap. Hope it gets sorted out. We have to use quarters to do laundry.
Quote:
I have been hearing for a long time that there was a movement to phase out cash, period.
I don't think this will ever happen, as it will greatly affect many low-income families. I had heard some stores/communities trying to do away with cash and it wasn't allowed because many people do not have bank accounts and rely on cash.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-06-2020, 11:16 PM

That is kind of crazy to think about! I haven't noticed any signs here. I almost never use cash, but recently I had a friend visiting and she gave me cash because I bought some tickets for various things. I haven't had a problem using it.

I remember seeing a news story awhile back about a city that had to pass a law stating businesses must accept cash. Several were trying to say they were card only/didn't want to keep regular registers. Of course now I can't remember where it was- maybe New York or something like that.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote