Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Zoom protocols???

>

amiga13

Zoom protocols???
Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 AM

Okay, Iím assuming most of us have attended at least a few Zoom meetings by now. Iím NOT talking about teaching or kids, Iím talking about meetings with other adults.

I really appreciate that all the people running Zoom meetings Iíve attended have offered separate times for those who need help with the mechanics/strategies of Zoom.

I observe Zoom is not always easy to foster conversational flow, but weíre all getting better at it.

I find the people who arrive late are often disruptive and attention-seeking. Would it be okay to establish a protocol asking latecomers to join in quietly?

While Iím complaining, I also dislike people who leave by explaining their lives. Would it be okay to ask people to wave good-bye and leave quietly without interrupting the conversation?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 07-09-2020, 07:10 AM

I think the two things you brought up are correct--enter and leave quietly.
Zoom has great tutorials about meetings and accessing a meeting.
Thanks for bringing this up

Last edited by Lynnteach2; 07-09-2020 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: added information
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Zoom settings
Old 07-09-2020, 07:14 AM

Whoever is the host controls the settings. You can set it up so that anyone entering is muted automatically. With kids I don't let them unmute themselves, but I suppose you can't do that to adults.

Maybe you could send an email asking for suggestions, and then add, "such as..." and add entering and exiting quietly.

Since you are starting a new group, this is the perfect time to set norms that work for everyone.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Speaking
Old 07-09-2020, 07:51 AM

I have a hard time saying what I want to say in a Zoom conversation/knowing when it's mine turn to talk. We are told to jump in and ask questions any time or add our thoughts, and it's hard with so many people wanting to talk. I guess it's the same in a staff meeting, but I find it easier there. I've had to resort to typing things in the chat instead of speaking.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 AM

One thing that bothers me is when the host waits for people who show up late. So, instead of starting at 7:00 pm, it is inevitably 7:10/7:12 when we finally begin.

Not sure if that will be a pet peeve of yours, but if it is, you might mention that you will be starting at a precise time, no exceptions.

And yes, latecomers need to join w/out saying anything! (Another pet peeve of mine, ha).

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Rules
Old 07-09-2020, 09:19 AM

Iím in a restorative circle and we go over the protocols each time and then the leader who runs it will start and then we use the popcorn strategy (say a name when we are finished). That determines speaking order. For each round, the person who went first now goes last. She types that order in the chat and all mics are muted except for the person speaking. It works well. Also, if you come in late then youíre name is on the bottom of the list. We start and end on time.
nyteacher29 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 07-09-2020, 10:16 AM

It's appropriate to arrive silently. If there is a group leader, that leader can mute other people. Alternatively the leader could ask the late person to mute--either a public request or a private chat request.

Another thought would be to set a few expectations (arrive on time if possible, latecomers and early leavers don't interrupt, mute yourself on arrival, etc.). If the Zoom link is being emailed, the group norms could be included in the email.

I was on a church Zoom this morning (a study group). A couple people had to leave early. One had mentioned the probability early in the meeting. When she left, she typed a quick goodbye msg in chat. The other also typed her goodbye in chat. I thought that was an excellent solution.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-09-2020, 10:22 AM

My friends and I Zoom twice a week and we don't have rules. We hang and chit chat like we would IRL.

But I think you guys are talking about for work meetings and for those we are all muted and the admins do the talking. We use chat to ask questions and ghost when we leave.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-09-2020, 10:59 AM

For a formal group, there should certainly be some protocol around entering, leaving, and turn-taking in conversation.

Some people consider book groups to be really informal, and they may treat it like they treat an in-personal social situation. For some, that may mean making a big deal out of coming (whether late or not) or leaving.

Since you are starting this, you should set the protocol to establish the type of group you want to have on Zoom. You can write it up in a really friendly way. Any group that is started for an official purpose should have norms and etiquette set in place from the beginning.

You may also wish to open the room early and let people know there's a "social half hour" or whatever you want to do before the actual book group starts. You'd likely have fewer people coming in late (the earlier start might be in their mind) and people would have a chance to socialize before starting the discussion of the book.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-09-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryJames
My friends and I Zoom twice a week and we don't have rules. We hang and chit chat like we would IRL.
Of course you do! I hope you have fun. Sorry I was unclear, I was asking about meetings. Not work! I started a book group and 10 of us zoomed for our initial meeting yesterday. Weíre all polite and didnít have any problems during the meeting (I would never belong to a group that took round-robin turnsóitís a discussion), but the beginning and end were annoying. Does that make more sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOEP
I was on a church Zoom this morning (a study group). A couple people had to leave early. One had mentioned the probability early in the meeting. When she left, she typed a quick goodbye msg in chat. The other also typed her goodbye in chat. I thought that was an excellent solution.
Thatís a fabulous idea! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGK
You can write it up in a really friendly way.
Yes I promise I wonít say it in the crabby way I did here.

Last edited by amiga13; 07-09-2020 at 01:01 PM..
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote