The VENT

Venmo Friends

>

Loveandmercy

Venmo Friends
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

I am tutoring a child this summer over Zoom. I am probably 20 years older than the parents. Recently the Mom, who I only know professionally, asked me what I was doing this summer for fun. I told her something I had done (it was canoing.) Definitely a social distanced thing. She asked me who I went with (?) Keep in mind, I really don't know this woman other than being her child's teacher and now tutor.

I found that to be a weird question. Then today I get the Venmo payment from her and she is requesting for me to be her friend on Venmo. I think this is sort of weird. Is this a common thing on Venmo? I have my transactions on Venmo in "private" mode.

As the teacher, I don't accept Facebook friend requests with parents. As a matter of fact if I check my school handbook I believe the school has a policy against being friends with parents over social media. I will go look that up. Thank you everyone!

Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As far as asking you who you went canoeing with I wouldn’t really think anything of it. She was probably just being friendly and making conversation!

I don’t use Venmo but is it possible it’s easier for her to send you payments if you’re “friends.” I think it is more like adding a contact than anything else.

I definitely wouldn’t consider Venmo to be social media.

That being said, I’m friends with multiple parents on social media whose children are no longer in my school they don’t have younger children either. But, I also give parents my cell phone number so I see things a little differently.

You said you know the mother professionally, does she teach with you?
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 07-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No. I just meant that I know her only through my work. Thank you for the thoughtful response.
Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Venmo
Old 07-23-2020, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I could be wrong, but I think that being a 'friend' on Venmo will just make it easier for her to pay you. I don't think there's anything social about it, at least not that I've ever noticed. I wouldn't think it's a problem, esp. since you're already set to 'private.' She won't see anything except her own payments to you.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-23-2020, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't think the mother's questions were odd at all. To me, it sounds as if she was simply making polite conversation and trying to connect with you. I had/have several parents as FB friends when I was teaching and retired. My district allows this and teachers are cautious about what they post.

I don't have a Venmo account but understand it's used for easy transfer of funds. Accepting her friend request is really no big deal. You won't really be friends.

I don't think this mom is out of line at all.

Eventually it comes down to what you're comfortable doing. You certainly have the right to refuse her friend request since that's not a big deal. You also have the right to avoid answering her questions. We all create our own boundaries.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote