Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Yep, That's my County

>

FLteachESE

Yep, That's my County
Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 AM

1) When I first saw our BTS video, I thought WTF? really? It was not the image I felt we should be sending out.
2) Parent response on FB has been similar.
3) Now it's on TikTok and viral. Someone also tagged Perez Hilton -smh.
4) If you don't know who Juggling the Jenkins is, go check her out on FB or Google.

and now here's the TikTok
https://www.tiktok.com/@jugglingthej...42779322977541

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Video
Old 07-23-2020, 04:00 AM

I have no words.
Who thought that would be a good idea? Maybe they want the parents to see the supposed reality and keep their kids home.
However, my old school will still have 25 to 30 kids in the room. No way to keep them 6 ft apart. They will be eating lunch in the classroom. No sinks in rooms, no AC. Strict bathroom times to try and keep kids apart in the hallways. One UV wand per grade to sterilize. No homework, no book bags, no using lockers or coat hooks.
It’s insanity and it’s in a high risk area.

Last edited by Teach 5; 07-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Added
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-23-2020, 04:31 AM

I get what youíre saying, but isnít this going to kind of be the reality? I think thatís what a lot of people arenít getting about going back to school with these measures in place. It is not going to be normal. The kids are not going to get the same social experience that theyíve had in the past. Face-to-face instruction this year is going to be completely different from what the kids are used to. That video creeps me out! And yes, if your district wants kids to come back, they probably shouldíve done a different video. But what bothers me most is that I think that video might be right on target for what our days will look like.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-23-2020, 04:32 AM

Kids want to get back to normal and see their friends. So parents decide , yes, send them back. But, if we follow the CDC guidelines, that IS what it will look like. Awful! Maybe thatís the reason. It might make parents fight the reopening.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-23-2020, 04:37 AM

It is sad, but this is what it is going to look like. There will be no social interaction, no small groups, no lunch tables of kids sitting next to each other and not much playing at recess. Parents need to be made aware that if their kids go back to school this year they will be sitting six feet apart in their seats for most of the day and wearing a mask. It is not ideal at all.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-23-2020, 04:40 AM

Well, I agree with the PP that I think it points out our new reality for now. Parents need to be aware this is what it will look like so they don't get any ideas about it being " back to normal". Maybe it will make them think twice about sending them. This certainly didn't sugar coat it

I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of sitting right next to a student, which is what I normally do lots of all day in 4th grade.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 07-23-2020, 04:56 AM

Wow. I think parents need to see videos like that so they can make an informed decision. I desperately wish my kids could do virtual school, but both DH and I have to work.
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Optics
Old 07-23-2020, 04:57 AM

The visual certainly makes it real. We are living in some dystopian novel.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 07-23-2020, 05:35 AM

Was this video really sent to parents? Am I allowed to ask what Fl county this is in?
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 07-23-2020, 06:33 AM

Truly, I think this video should be seen and widely distributed.
This is the reality of Covid Times.

It is probably worth noting that the kids in the video were in compliance with the health and safety protocols.
I doubt that kind of compliance will happen in very many schools.
It will be much worse than this video

Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-23-2020, 06:40 AM

I’m confused as to why this video is a problem?
Many schools districts are sending out similar videos as it is what will be happening. If parents are sending their children back to school they need to know what it’s actually going to look like.

The original poster of the reaction video is in Sarasota.

I’m in Florida also...
This is the new reality (in the way we can even make it work).
And, quite honestly, it does look like a prison!

All of these parents saying they need their kids to go back to school for the socialization are really in for a rude awakening... with the restrictions we will have in place the socialization is going to be incredibly minimal.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 07-23-2020, 07:03 AM

I agree with Lilbitkm.

I wonder what would be more traumatic, school with little socialization or Online learning. Either way some will lose.

Personally, I think kids will end up hating school.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-23-2020, 07:06 AM

We are online only but. . .if you have to go back. ..

If a school district practiced the measures in this video I would be more relieved than concerned. It shows a realistic approach to a hopeless situation. My fear is schools that will not social distance or wear masks.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

DRV

This is the truth
Old 07-23-2020, 07:15 AM

Yesterday I had to go into my Kindergarten classroom to pack up and remove all toys and center activities. The kids are not allowed to use these items. I cannot even keep my classroom library out in the open. I will have to cover my library bins with a sheet. If I give a kid a book to read, it has to be taken out of circulation for at least a week after use. The kids will be sitting at a table/desk (don't know yet) for most of the day. Masks are optional while sitting at the designated spot. I will be wearing a mask and a face shield. It won't look like kindergarten at all. This is the reality that I don't think many parents realize.
DRV is online now   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

I don't see a problem...
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 AM

Do parents *really* think it's going to be "business as usual" when we return to campuses? If so, it just shows a total lack of concern for the staff and other kids in the buildings and they need a reality check.

Frankly, I wish that my district would send out something similar...I mean, I'm sorry, but my class isn't going to be as interactive or "fun" as I usually try to make it. My health is just as important as those parents' need to send their kids back. And, as a parent, I really am praying that my DS's teacher(s) do their very best in sticking to protocols. Like JenInWV, I wish I could go digital with my son, but if I can't, I want to know that his teachers are being as safe as possible.

I also want to say that parents need to be doing their part to explain to kids the need to keep their distance, mask up, and use handsanitizer/wash hands (we don't have sinks in all of our classrooms). DS and I have been having talks and things for a while now. He knows it's going to be different. I wonder if his classmates' parents are doing the same? Kids need to be prepared for how school is going to look different.

**Kerrysgirl now steps off of soapbox**
kerrysgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 07-23-2020, 07:52 AM

Someone may have already said this but if these are the measures we need to take to get back to school and keep safe then schools should NOT open yet, because they are NOT SAFE.
I know there are so many variables that even as I write this I'm ignoring myself...but I'm scared and I would be relieved if the schools just remained closed so I don't have to decide whether to go in or teach remote.. I'd love the decision (the right one of course) made for me.. lol
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-23-2020, 08:38 AM

It looks apocalyptic because we are living through a potential apocalypse. There are zero solutions that will please every parent or staff.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-23-2020, 09:02 AM

i don't really see anything wrong with that video....BUT there is NO WAY that will be reality--does only one class eat lunch at a time? only one class walking in the hall at a time?
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 07-23-2020, 09:20 AM

This is totally the reality. The only thing I don't see myself doing is sitting next to a student to work. CA's guidelines also state staff must maintain 6 feet distance from students as well. But other than that, I feel like this is all pretty much the reality. (However, I do not feel safe going back right now and I hope we stay remote.. :/ ) I also agree with the other poster who said if this is reality, it's not safe. That's true as well. I honestly wish we could all be remote learning until Jan 2021, give the states time to get the infection rate DOWN and then reassess. What is the point when we know it'll increase during fall/winter anyway, only to spread more rampantly. No way these safety measures will prevent those germs from spreading at that point. They are kids! Also some staff aren't as scared so who's to say the safety measures are being enforced throughout?
googaleeebear is online now   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 07-23-2020, 11:49 AM

So a lot of you are saying you don't see a problem with the video and that this is our reality now.

Actually it is not what the classroom nor the teachers will be looking like here, and that is where my issue was.

Teachers will not be wearing lab coats, nor gloves. That was for show. Social distancing will not be 6 feet apart as we were told it can be as short at 3 feet if wearing masks and visors.

It portrays what the ideal would be but in reality it will be much different.

In my county, they increased class sizes for the funding, they have 3 options for school and the board and the parents and the teachers were all told no teacher would teach any more than one of the plans. Now they are saying that a teacher could have a students from 2 of the options in their rooms- adding more bodies in a small classroom.

The video would have been better with out the lab coats and just showing how we would be masked and/or visored and no gloves. I also hate the narrators voice.

We all are so stressed. We are the epicenter of the virus and our Governor sits with a smirk on his face saying things are getting better. We just had our first district employee pass away from covid yesterday and all we want to do is e learning, but noooooo, we have to offer brick and mortar 5 days a week.

So yes, Ive got some animosity and anger built up - sorry y'all got to listen to it. But thanks for listening to it, lol.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-23-2020, 12:30 PM

I wondered how realistic it was, especially the lunch scene. I can't imagine any district going full time and having enough space for students to be that far apart. Our state health department and ed department is trying to play off that 6 feet literally everywhere else is required, but 3 feet "when possible" in schools is just fine, even going so far as to say "there is nothing magical about 6 feet." Okay, then why require it elsewhere??

Hopefully this does deter parents who have the ability to do online but think they are sending their kid back for "socialization" and "getting back to their routine." I hear that from a lot of parents around here. One teacher in my area put out a video showing what her classroom will look like with the restrictions and talking through what the day will look like for kids. Masks all day, no interactions, sitting at their desk all day. They're not allowed to use paper so basically the kids will be sitting at their desks all day accessing the learning on their computers anyway.

She pointed out that if they were at home, at least they could be comfortable while doing their lessons. They could move around, take breaks, go outside, get a snack/drink whenever, go to the restroom whenever, not have to wear a mask, etc. I think more parents need to understand what they're really sending kids back to. And some teachers, honestly. We had a meeting the other day and so many teachers spoke of wanting to "get back to their routine." How can you possibly think any of this is going to allow you to get back to your routine?? None of this is going to be normal and any small thing that made school fun or enjoyable is going to be gone.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Runnergirl04

Old 07-23-2020, 01:13 PM

I wish proteacher had a like button to say how much I agree with the comments above.

The video is the textbook definition of what the CDC recommends. Itís a sad time to be a kid, parent, or teacher.

Praying this time passes quick.
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Teachers will not be wearing lab coats, nor gloves. That was for show.
Myself and several at my school will be wearing scrubs. If you treat us like front line, we will dress like front line. There is a reason they wear scrubs!

Quote:
Social distancing will not be 6 feet apart as we were told it can be as short at 3 feet if wearing masks and visors.
It will feel like being in prison.

Quote:
It portrays what the ideal would be but in reality it will be much different.
I feel like that is a classroom management issue and yes, I know how difficult it will be to enforce. But at least we have the district backing us on it? Here we have elementary and middle school kids daily in-person and HS kids in person only on alternate weeks. I'm shocked our gov is allowing this.

Quote:
We all are so stressed. We are the epicenter of the virus and our Governor sits with a smirk on his face saying things are getting better. We just had our first district employee pass away from covid yesterday and all we want to do is e learning, but noooooo, we have to offer brick and mortar 5 days a week.
It all sucks.

Quote:
So yes, Ive got some animosity and anger built up - sorry y'all got to listen to it. But thanks for listening to it, lol.
I think we all feel the same. No apologies needed.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-23-2020, 03:34 PM

I'm glad the video was made and it should be shown as the best case scenario. I don't blame parents for wanting their kids to return to school and I understand some teachers wanting to return as well, however reality will be frightening for all. The fall and winter months will not be pretty at all.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote