Help

BusyBoard

Back to school poll

>

KC14

Back to school poll
Old 07-23-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am curious as to what back to school is going to look like in different states. I know it is all subject to change, and most likely will, but as of now:

What state are you in?
When do you start?
Is this your original date or extended?
Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual?
Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards?
Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans?

I know we are all very concerned with what this school year will be like and the safety of ourselves, our students and our families, and I just thought it would be interesting to see what other plans and thoughts are.

KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

i'll start!
Old 07-23-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What state are you in? - New Jersey
When do you start? - August 31
Is this your original date or extended? - original
Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual? both in school & virtual
Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards? absolutely!
Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans? I know they are very busy and plans are changing daily but they haven't officially told teachers anything yet!
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-23-2020, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What state are you in?
Iowa
When do you start?
Regular start date the 26th for students

original

Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual?
Face to face regular with the option for virtual if parents choose

Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards?
Yes, cases are going up right now in my county

Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans?
I just wish masks were mandatory. I am hoping by the time we start they will be.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 07-23-2020, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

New York City
No official date but rumor is Sept. 10
Original Date
Blended. An A/B/C schedule. Parents can choose all remote.
If our numbers stay they way they are now, the governor says we will open.
I am ok with going back. I hated remote learning. But of course I am nervous.
ChrisL77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What state are you in?
Wisconsin

When do you start?
Sept. 1

Original, but there is talk of them pushing it back to Sept. 8

All virtual through Oct. 31. Thank goodness.

No.

I'm glad they decided to go virtual, since we are a hot spot for the state and cases were increasing at a 7-10% positivity rate each day. But I am never happy with my district's communication about anything! I find out what's happening at school by watching the news - they never tell us anything directly!

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-23-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What state are you in?
CO

When do you start?
Teachers start early August; students start very late August

The student start date was pushed back 2 weeks. Teacher start date is the same.

Parents may choose two options- 100% in person or 100% remote. District is saying that even in the 100% in person option, there will be times when we will quickly go into remote learning due to outbreaks or county/state health guidelines.

Yes. Several other districts have already announced they are starting remotely. All of the metro area superintendents work together, so I assume we will do the same, but they just don't want to announce it yet. Our super has been cautious about putting early plans out there and then having to change everything. There have been some new restrictions put in place (bars closed, early last call for alcohol at restaurants, state mask mandate) and I also think they're really hoping perhaps numbers will improve by the time students start. I don't see that happening.

My district has made every effort to include teacher input. The problem is, most teachers seem to want to go back and are not concerned about the virus . I'm more irritated with my fellow employees than the district leadership. Why would they really be gung ho about looking into a remote start when 90% of employees say they want to go back in person no matter what? Communication from my district has been good considering the circumstances.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Our plan
Old 07-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What state are you in?
SC
When do you start?
Teachers start 8/13; students 8/19
Original
Full days in person, with option to zoom in virtually
No, our plan is comprehensive and well thought out and planned. If the governor closes schools, then we will have to go all virtual, but I doubt he will do that.
My school is a private Catholic school, and we have been kept informed every step of the way. The committee included teachers, administrators, parents, and medical experts. I am not thrilled, but I think it will be fine.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 07-23-2020, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What state are you in? Kansas

When do you start? Unknown at this point

Is this your original date or extended? N/A

Our district is offering both in-person as well as remote options. The district is requiring teachers to teach BOTH in-school students and remote students AT THE SAME TIME. We are basically doing dual jobs for no more pay.

Perhaps quickly afterwards

NO
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 07-23-2020, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

TX
August 19th
Original
My itty bitty private school is planning regular school, minimal distancing practices. Local school district (my children attend) is offering all virtual or all in-person (the info came out today and it looks good).
I wouldnít be surprised if the local district goes to all virtual first 3 weeks or so, but my school will only close if their are multiple confirmed cases at the school.
Iím happy with the school district. Some people at my itty bitty private school donít believe in the coronavirus so they arenít encouraging masks or anything.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What state are you in?
Illinois

When do you start?
Teachers on August 18th and students on August 24th

We were originally going to only have one day of in services on August 18th with school starting on the 19th. They pushed back the student start date to the 24th to allow more planning time should we go back in person. We will know if we go back in person right away or not on Monday night when the school board votes on which plan they want.

There are three plans on the table to be voted on Monday night. Starting virtual, starting with the hybrid model, or starting with adaptive in person.

The current trend in my area with neighboring districts which have already made their decisions is to start remotely even if parents want children to go back in person. They are shying away from the hybrid model and everyone back is too risky in their minds. I really hope my district will choose to start remotely because I agree with the thought process of those neighboring districts.

I know we are all very concerned with what this school year will be like and the safety of ourselves, our students and our families, and I just thought it would be interesting to see what other plans and thoughts are.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-23-2020, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What state are you in?
Kentucky

When do you start?
August 3 for teachers
August 24 for students

extended about a week for teachers
extended almost 3 weeks for kids

Hybrid. A/B Days
We do have an all virtual option.

Our numbers have started climbing in the state. We still have only 10 cases, so we may be okay.

I am not happy with anything unknown. Iím a planner, and I canít plan for this because itís all new and changing daily. Iíve felt better since having a schedule and rosters. It was also nice to talk to parents. The kids I spoke to were excited to come back.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-23-2020, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What state are you in? Oregon

When do you start? 8/24 teachers and 9/8 students

Is this your original date or extended? 2 day delay

Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual? District hasnít announced plans yet, but my school is independent within the district and weíve made the decision to be all virtual

Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards? No, weíre committed to it at least to the end of the quarter

Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans? 100% happy with my school, I would be very unhappy if I was relying on district communication and planning
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

suzy_q

Old 07-24-2020, 12:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What state are you in?
Kentucky

When do you start?
Teachers Aug 4
Students August 24

extended

5 day weeks in person or parents may choose virtual

I think it will change quickly after cases climb

I am somewhat anxious. Although masks are required for teachers and students, I think we are going to have too many people in the building. I have seen my rosters and the class size is close to normal.
suzy_q is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 07-24-2020, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What state are you in?
Oregon

When do you start?
Teachers August 31, students September 8 or 9, depends on what level.

Original

All in 5 days a week for elementary, hybrid for 6 - 12

Iím hoping it changes before, but my district is pretty bent on starting in person. That said, we have our highest count of Covid cases in our hospital right now, so....

No. They have told teachers very little and havenít included teachers in the discussions until recently. Our next scheduled communication is August 1.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Old 07-24-2020, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

What state are you in?
Calunicornia (California- We tend to be lacking common sense)

When do you start?
Teachers- August 12. Students- August 19

Original

We are starting virtual because of state mandates for monitored counties (were planning in-person right away). The next phase will be AM and PM groups to keep numbers to 15 at a time.

After the state removed the option to go back right away, officials rewrote the plan to phase in- virtual, AM/PM, whole class.

Compared with stories I have been hearing, our small district is doing okay given the circumstances. I think it's an advantage of being small. We are much more "in each other's faces." District personnel have to face those they affect. While I really disagree with much of what the CTA and NEA do (forced to join if I want to join my local), I think my local union does a good job of representing teachers' needs.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Reopening Plans
Old 07-24-2020, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What state are you in? NJ
When do you start? September 1st
Is this your original date or extended? Original
Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual? A/B days, with parent option to choose all virtual. Teachers will be teaching both in-school and virtually.
Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards? I think it's possible that it may change before we return and that it's almost inevitable to be all remote at least some point during the year.
Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans? I'm OK with the plans but scared. I'm *very* unhappy with my district's lack of communication with teachers.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What state are you in?Texas

When do you start? Teachers, 8/3, students 8/17

Is this your original date or extended?This is the original date. We will not be pushing it back unless the county makes them.

Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual? There are two choices. 100% in person and 100% virtual

Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards? I think some of it will change. Iím sure the plans and expectations for virtual will tighten up. Right now there is no requirement that students attend live teaching sessions. I know thatís appropriate with younger kids, but my 6th grade math students will have to have some expectation to attend live teaching sessions if they want to learn.

Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans? Theyíve been very open and transparent. We are doing as well as we can with the parameters that TEA has put on us.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

What state are you in? Florida

When do you start? Teachers 8/13; Students 8/24

Is this your original date or extended? Extended

Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual? I am in a private Christian school, but we are doing a regular return with an online option for those who prefer that.

Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards? No, the extension was just presented to us yesterday. Unless there is a mandate from the state/DOE, I don't see it changing again.

Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your district's communication and plans? I am. Our administration has been very transparent with us and how they have reached their decisions.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

sterlingsun

Old 07-24-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

What state are you in? PA

When do you start? Teachers report 9/1 and students report 9/8

Is this your original date or extended? Original

Is your district planning for regular return on all days, split sessions or A/B days, in school and virtual or all virtual? All virtual for the first marking period and then reassessing.

Do you think the current plan will change before you go back or quickly afterwards? I think virtual will continue longer than MP1 and that will be decided on sooner into MP1 than later.

Under the circumstances (and we all know they are not good), are you happy with your districts communication and plans? I am happy with this decision though I wish virtual would already be extended, but I'll take what I can get and feel fortunate. I'm in a new district this year and so far they've been great with communication.
sterlingsun is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Back to School Plans
Old 07-25-2020, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

1. Mississippi

2. August 6 for students

3. Original date

4. Traditional return, but students get out an hour early to allow teachers to handle the distance learning students (parents can choose that option).

5. It has already changed a few times, but nothing drastic. First, masks were "recommended", but they changed it to "required".

6. I'm fine with the plans, but I wish I had a few questions answered that haven't been addressed (yes, I've asked). Things like:
*Will bus drivers take temps before boarding?
*Will Activity teachers go to the classrooms or will students still go to them?
*Who does the sanitizing - teachers or custodians?
....and many more.....

I'm flexible enough to roll with it, but I'm a "need to know" kind of person and would appreciate any and all details ahead of time to plan accordingly.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote