Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Painting cabinets

>

hikinghiker

Painting cabinets
Old 07-24-2020, 10:02 PM

I have had a long standing battle with my house. I bought it a year ago and have been changing things pretty much constantly. I may have even lowered the house value with some of my (sometimes poorly done) DIYs, but I stand by them

Except my cabinets.

They were that orange honey oak when I moved in and they looked fine with the tile and white carpet. But I replaced the flooring with darker laminate wood. And they looked awful. I'm talking halloween orange awful. Cue me painting then this soft grey.

Then I realized I hate grey. So I painted them white. Then I realized that my walls are in fact somewhat yellow/tan, and the white made the walls look even more yellow. So I painted them a darker blue. And realized that the color pulled purple. So I painted them a brighter blue. And it looked okay, but was WAY too much of a statement.

So here I am, at 11pm, stripping my cabinets of several layers of paint and sanding them one by one. I've been doing this for two weeks already. But I am determined to finish them all tonight with the help of a good podcast and lots of espresso. And I realized that that ugly original orange oak color was because of a bad varnish. Had I simply started with sanding them, I could have avoided all the painting

Wish me luck!

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

That is a great deal of painting!
Old 07-24-2020, 10:19 PM

And now stripping all the paint off. Good luck!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-25-2020, 04:00 AM

So, what color are you going with now?
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 07-25-2020, 04:03 AM

I'm admiring your determination and stamina. Way to go! So much work and frustration. However, at least there is good news at the end! After you finally get some sleep, you will get to make those cabinets as beautiful as you have been invisioning!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:28 AM

We just painted all the cabinetry in our condo- 47 doors and their cabinets. We have pressboard with a thin maple veneer with a dark finish. It was time for a change, but we had no money for new cabinets. We live in a loft-style condo with some exposed concrete, 11 ft. high ceilings, one side is all windows. We had a wall put in for our bedroom, and the two bathrooms are separate. Other than that, it's what we call the "big room."

We set up a dropcloth and sawhorses for the doors: scrub down with TSP substitute, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint (gloss), sand if needed, paint. Oh, of course all the taping prep, too. The same process had to be followed for all the cabinets themselves. We painted all the cabinets, including bathrooms, a color called Useful Gray.

We only took pictures of the kitchen.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by Singvogel; 07-25-2020 at 05:49 PM..
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Cabinets
Old 07-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Well, if you’re going to do all the work, this is a good time!! Sounds like you have decided on a scheme. Good luck and post pics when done. I admire your work ethic.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote