Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Above ground pool owners

>

Katluv

Above ground pool owners
Old 07-27-2020, 09:04 AM

We are looking into maybe buying a different home with a new above ground pool purchased in May. How easy are they to maintain and take care of? This one is very sturdy and the homeowners are willing to leave all of the supplies they bought to go with it.

Also, this is probably a dumb question but when you go to drain the pool in the winter (I assume that’s what you do???), where does the water go? I wouldn’t want to flood the yard or the neighbors obviously!

Lastly, do you like having a pool? Pros? Cons? Thanks

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-27-2020, 09:23 AM

I’m not sure where you live, I’m inFlorida, but anywhere that is a hot climate wouldn’t need the pool to be drained.
I would think that you would “winterize” an above ground pool just like you would a regular pool if you’re in a colder climate.
https://www.swimuniversity.com/winte...e-ground-pool/

As far as maintenance, you would have to do all of the same things you’d do with a regular pool... I would think. So, filters and monitoring the chemicals.
https://www.thespruce.com/tips-buyin...d-pool-2736832
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 AM

My sister had an above ground pool that she loved. I don’t know about the maintainable part.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 07-27-2020, 09:42 AM

I’ve had 2. Daily chemical checks, vacuuming, periodic cleaning/backwashing the filter...not hard but a commitment. We’re in KY, we always drained ours because it would freeze. We would just pump it down the storm sewer.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-27-2020, 09:57 AM

We don't have one yet but hopefully will buy one this winter to be installed next spring.

Our neighbors have one & what they do at the end of the season is drain it partially & put in a big blown up donut-like thing to hold the shape. When they drain it, they run a big hose to the alley. It doesn't flood any of our yards.

VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

pool
Old 07-27-2020, 09:58 AM

We bought one from Target after realizing we would be home a lot this summer. We had previously had one when our older girls were younger, and after it was damaged we chose not to replace it at the time.

I wouldn't say that it is hard taking care of an above ground pool once you figure out what to do. It has brought a lot of joy to my kids. My youngest has grown leaps and bounds in her swimming abilities this year.

You don't fully drain the pool. You shock it and then put the pool cover on it for the winter.

You can always take it down if you love the house, but don't want the upkeep. I think the maintenance is the biggest longterm problem.

The other big worry we personally had was safety. We didn't feel that our youngest daughter was conscientious enough to stay out of the previous pool at 3 years old and considered it a blessing when something caused it to rip and not be useable. She is 6 now and is able to stand in the pool with no floats.
Quack! is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Well, I have always
Old 07-27-2020, 10:24 AM

Wanted a small pool so the thought of one excites me. I have one son who is 23 that will live with us his first year of teaching then move out next spring/summer. He loves the water so I can see him enjoying it. He has a serious gf as well, so grandkids could be in my future in a few years.

I live in an area that has all 4 seasons and it gets really cold in the winter. I guess if we end up with the house, I’ll have to research what to do when it gets cold. If we have it a few years and don’t like it, we can take it down and put grass back in. But as hot as it is here in the summer from late June through September I have a feeling it may be a winner.

Oh yeah, the house is amazing as well! I saw it last night...DH will go back with me today.
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Pool care
Old 07-27-2020, 10:59 AM

During the early fall we empty about 20% of the water in the pool by putting in a hose leading to the street. This is because the water expands when it freezes. Then we put a cover over it and hang filled milk containers along the side to hold the cover on when high winds come. Sometimes we have to drain the cover with a hose to the street during the winter and spring so it doesn't get too full and rip.
On a daily basis during the summer we test the water and add chemicals as needed. We vacuum occasionally. The only time we really have a problem is when we go on vacation - we have to have someone come by daily to check and add for us.
I really like having a pool and imagining myself floating in it reading a book and listening to music gets me through many dull days of school!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM

Is it one of the new quick set pools? If it is I would definitely drain it during the winter.

Is it more of a traditional above ground pool? Then there is really no need to drain it during the winter.

I live in Maine and have never seen anyone drain their above ground pools in the winter unless they are the quick set type that they take down during the winter.

We had one growing up and we cleaned it daily and used a testing kit to check the chlorine levels. If it needed chlorine, we added some. In the winter we drained it a little bit, put a donut type ring in it and covered it. The water freezing was never an issue.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We have an above ground pool
Old 07-27-2020, 11:28 AM

In the winter, we shock the pool ( supercharged dose of chlorine) and drain about half of it. Then we put a cover on it. There is a commitment involved in owning a pool. You have to check the chemicals every day and run the filter every day. We actually have a system that regulates the chlorine and adds a little every day. We still check it every day to make sure it is set correctly, but we don't add any. We just set the dial on the right number and change the canister that dispenses it once a month or so.
You have to vacuum the pool every day or so. I recommend a pool robot that vacuums. That way you don't waste your swimming time vacuuming the pool. You can throw the robot in in the morning, and swim in the afternoon.
We love our pool.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Used to have one
Old 07-27-2020, 03:36 PM

We had an above the ground Fantasea pool. I loved it! It was the perfect activity for my family of 3 kids and me not having to work all summer. After mowing the lawn it sure felt good to jump in. In the beginning of the school year when it was still hot I would take a dip to release the stress.

My DH used to complain about opening and closing it in the spring and fall. I helped him do it and it was not hard.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote