Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Two doctor appointments

>

GraceKrispy

Two doctor appointments
Old 08-02-2020, 12:30 AM

I am a little anxious about going to two doctor appointments I have coming up.

I feel like both visits are probably necessary, but the idea of being in close quarters for these visits makes me anxious. I've really been very cautious, and the interactions I have had have been with all parties masked and distanced.

(edited to take away more detail about the appointments that isn't necessary)

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-02-2020, 02:11 AM

I went to my eye Dr. last week. I felt very safe. If you think about it, a Dr's office is probably the very safest place to be. They're following all of the safety protocols to a T and they have the training to do so. I noticed they changed a few things so that the Dr. wasn't too close to me and also got rid of some touch points.

I thought about putting the appointment off further, but it came down to- what is going to be difference in a month, two months, three months? Honestly, even six months? At this point it seems like nothing is going to get any better until we have a vaccine, unfortunately. I'd bought some extra contacts before my prescription ran out just in case, but nothing like a whole year's worth! It also would have been a waste of money not to use my insurance benefit for this year even if I did find a way to get more contacts on my own.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 08-02-2020, 02:20 AM

I get it. My internist is just giving 90 day refills so we donít have to come in for bed checks....

Iíve been to the doc once, and DH as been to ortho and physical therapy since this started All three we waited in the car until told to come in. No waiting rooms- just straight back to the room. Well, I did end up in the waiting room for a few minutes, but they had 2/3 of the seats roped off and it was only me
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-02-2020, 02:38 AM

I get it. I postponed my 6 month ear tube check appt in June. I have had 3 tubes in 6 years, so no big deal appt. It is now for Oct, which won't be any better, but I will go then most likely.

This week I have my annual derm skin check which I will keep because they are very hard to get ( books 4-6 months out) and about 1/2 the time he finds something he wants to remove and check.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 08-02-2020, 02:40 AM

I understand! I had five doctor/test appointments last week. My facility is being exceedingly cautious. Only a couple of very well-spaced chairs in waiting room. Masks required. I felt much safer there than the grocery store! Try not to worry.

sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 08-02-2020, 03:18 AM

I have been going for weekly doctorís visits for several now that I am at the end of my pregnancy. I have felt very safe overall. Masks required, they screen patients at the door, and have you wait in your car until a room is ready. The few times Iíve been asked to sit in the waiting room while for waiting lab work or an ultrasound, the waiting rooms have been basically empty with maybe one or two other people well spaced out around the room.

I also took my oldest son to the dermatologist recently and it was very similar. We sat in the car until they were ready for him and then we were taken directly to a room. Very little interaction with anyone besides one nurse and the doctor (all
who were wearing PPE).

I hope your appointments go well! I know itís still nerve wracking even with the extra safety precautions in place.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-02-2020, 04:18 AM

I am definitely not pregnant but unfortunately have had a number of medical procedures and appointments during the pandemic. You will be very safe. I think your anxiety will disappear once you've experienced the reality of medical appointments now. They seem weird but safe.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 08-02-2020, 04:27 AM

I understand. I had to have a colonoscopy and was somewhat anxious but didn't postpone because of risk factors. The hospital was extra careful and the doctor's office was careful too.

Also, I've been to the dentist and they are being very careful too.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-02-2020, 04:34 AM

I had to go to the eye doctor this week. I also made a well check with a doc so am having labs drawn and then the doc appointment. I haven't done this for over 3 years and figured if we were going to go back to school, I should have a primary care doctor...

I haven't gotten my hair cut yet.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Ear tube
Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 AM

I recently had a visit to my ENT doc to get a tube replaced. It was fine. The waiting room was more crowded than I anticipated but the doctor and his staff were great.

I am a bit anxious about the dentist though. I havenít gone yet and the thought of being that close for that long is not something I want to do yet. I do realize that the dental technician is much more at risk, but still...

SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-02-2020, 05:59 AM

I understand your trepidation. Like you, I have been extremely cautious and I absolutely do not choose to be around sick people. I have postponed most exams (I did see the ophthalmologist when she insisted it could be an emergency) and the doctor renewed my RX without the required labs.

I understand even doctors/hospitals need the other-than-Covid business now, but I choose to wait on everything except that 1 emergency. Yes, the facility had extraordinary precautions and I didn’t get sick, but I choose to not be indoors around sick people if I can manage it. Just my choice.

Good luck, DRGraceKrispy.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 08-02-2020, 06:09 AM

I had to have the rabies shot series in May and had to actually go to the Emergency room 4 times to get them (regular doctors around here don't stock the vaccine). Anyway, I was very nervous to go to the ER, but they were taking extreme cleaning precautions and I felt very safe every time I had to go.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 08-02-2020, 06:22 AM

It is nerve-wracking.

I went in June and was pleasantly surprised at how careful everyone is being.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-02-2020, 06:22 AM

Being nervous is understandable and I do hope you get through it without too much trouble. Some appointments are necessary and I'm sure the docs will be very careful. I've gone to several and postponed other ones. Best of luck !
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-02-2020, 07:04 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by how many precautions are being taken. We stay in the car until appointment time and then go directly to a room.

Blood draws are done in your car.

My friend had knee replacement this week. It had been cancelled in March. Surgeries are only scheduled for out patient except for emergencies.

I am having cataract surgery in two weeks. They will give me a covid test before I am allowed into the surgery center.

I feel more safe at the dr. than anywhere else.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Doctor's visits...
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 AM

I have had my mammo and a gyno visit this spring once things opened up for elective procedures. I have a derm visit in a couple of weeks and my internist that same week, also. The internist is to go over blood work and do a wellness exam. I cancelled the one back in March because I was not going into the office for bloodwork and then another visit for the follow-up during the height of the pandemic, and they couldn't reschedule for earlier than my usual August appointment.

For the mammo and the gyno visit, I called them when I got there and they met me at the door to the office. For both, I was the only one in the office and they took me right to the exam room. I filled out the paperwork for them in the exam room, not the waiting room. I am a little more nervous about the derm because there usually are several people in the waiting room. It is fairly large, and hopefully if there are other people, social distance will be maintained. My friend had an appointment there last week, and you just go up to the office. I have an 8:00 A.M. appointment, so I am hoping it isn't too crowded.

Good luck with your exams.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 AM

I've had several appointments lately. I will also chime in to add that I felt very safe. Social distancing and limited people in the waiting areas, plus masks actually enforced (unlike in the stores where I live, despite the governor's order many people do not wear their masks in stores). Temp checks. The closest people to get to me were the nurse and doctor, but them only as needed, and they were wearing masks.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Iíve had 5 appointments this summer
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 AM

I felt very safe at all of them. Masks, shields, no or short waiting times. Youíll be fine.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Got a mammogram at the hospital- took temperatures and gave you a medical mask instead of your own. Keep you in one room for the screening- felt safe
Last week went to my eye doctor and felt the safest. You have to wear a mask - county mandate anyway. You knock on the door they ask who you are and then let you in. I was the only one there. Had some tests done and they let me out their other exit
You will fine. They donít want to get sick either. My dentist actually said he goes every few weeks to just get tested- I think they are at more risk
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 AM

I am sorry you are having a difficult time. Everyone handles these things differently emotionally. Sorry you are struggling so much. I hope all of the advice and experiences people have given here resonate with you. I am sure logically it makes sense to you that it is much safer than almost all other scenarios, but anxiety is a hard thing to overcome. Best of luck.
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM

Thanks for all your stories and experiences! Both doctor appointments would require me to be unmasked for at least part (or all) of the appointment. I think I wouldn't be feeling anxious to quite this extent if they would be entirely masked (for me). I assume those in the office will be entirely masked!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM

I agree with the others. When I had my hand surgery and had to go for my follow up I waited outside until they called me, temp check, no one else in waiting room, had to wash hands on the way in and out and everyone was masked. Same thing when DH went to get his teeth cleaned and when we took the dog to the vet. You are probably a lot safer there than you are anywhere else other than at home.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote