Help

The VENT

Feeling Adrift

>

Luvetc3

Feeling Adrift
Old 08-03-2020, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am not making any plans for the new year. I'm not making lists. Nothing has been finalized, so I will not make plans that will need to be changed. I know it's not admin's fault as state directives continue to change.

I will be totally stressed when institute and planning days come around, but I don't see the point of creating a wheel and then being told we need ski skids. I know I'm not alone, but I hate this feeling.

Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Exactly
Old 08-03-2020, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

School begins in 3 weeks and we have no information from the district. A parent iof a child in my room who has some severe medical needs sent an email today asking some very good questions about the plan, needing to know for 504 plan. Got brushed off in the response. I'm livid for her!!!
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Planning ahead
Old 08-03-2020, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't done anything for the new school year either. Like you, I don't see the point if things are going to change. I also want to enjoy my summer. Like you, I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed when we start, but that's the case every year no matter what. It will all get done.

I will say that I have THOUGHT about things and aimlessly looked for ideas online, but I haven't done anything that required a lot of work. And for sure, I'm only doing things I WANT to do.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

No planning
Old 08-03-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here either! We go back the 14th. Students donít start till September 8. I hope we get some guidance and answers.
postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh heck, Iím going between 2 buildings and I donít even know what days Iíll be in what buildings, I donít know what days are team days and I havenít seen my rooms in either building.

Iíve decided Iím not setting up anything in either space. Iím investing in a good bag and carrying things back and forth.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think this is one of the reasons teachers are so stressed right now. We just don't know where to start or what to do! I have a notebook where I write down thoughts as they come to me, but haven't actually sat down to do any real planning of any kind. It's not worth doing anything just to be told it's going to change.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Stressed.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel the same way. While I absolutely relish the freedom of summer, I am one of those who is relieved to get back into the routine of school. I managed to put together a really comfortable, productive routine at home during quarantine, and now I'll have to do the same at school. I'm a planner, I get really anxious when I can't plan. I don't go to pieces when my plans don't work out well, but I don't like walking in cold like this.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-03-2020, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yep, same here. We actually start PD later this week. As of right now, we're going in person, but the student start date was pushed way back, so that's now not until the end of the month. Things change SO quickly. Last week I was very sure we'd be starting remotely, but that they just didn't want to announce too soon. With the current numbers that's not really justified and I don't think they'll switch- but by the end of the month, who knows??

We have a PD day this Friday and then a teacher work day on Monday. I honestly have no idea what I'm even going to do on that teacher work day. With students not coming until the end of the month, it still feels like things are too unsure to really plan anything.

Here's the other fun piece- we don't even really know what we're teaching yet. It depends on online/in person numbers- some teachers will be moved online, some to different positions in person, etc. The deadline was today, but over 1/3 of parents haven't responded at all, of course. Presumably most of those will just show up in person- BUT the other thing is that students are allowed to switch within the first few days if they realize they made the wrong choice.

I could really see that going either way- kids in online realizing what being on zoom for hours a day is actually like, and kids in person realizing what wearing a mask for 7 hours and sitting at their desk all day is actually like. If large numbers of kids switch, we could be looking at teachers having to move even after the year has already started.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Ditto
Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was just trying to explain this same exact feeling to DH. I have no answers To fix it but itís nice knowing I am not alone.
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yup. I have watched a few 30 minute videos to learn more about tech stuff this past week. That's it. I usually spend lots of time in August getting ready. Don't know what it will look like yet

We go back 3 weeks from yesterday and school board votes on plan tonight. Hybrid is what admins are recommending, which is a big change from last week when they were saying back in full with lots of safety precautions.

Don't think we can send papers back and forth for remote days or even use them much in class. That will be really hard in 4th grade.

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

No guidance
Old 08-04-2020, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Angela Watson always has practical advice for teachers.

This quote from her latest blog post really gets my biggest frustration. We need guidance and we are not getting it.

"Having kids stay seated and avoid working together is obviously NOT the best practice in normal situations. But this is a liability issue. If you don’t have written guidelines for how to do those things safely, it’s not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Every individual teacher cannot make up their own health/safety precautions, particularly since some teachers will take none at all.

This is not a time for teacher ingenuity and crowdsourcing and just making it work somehow. The wrong decisions can have devastating consequences.

Any questions teachers have about reopening safely should be directed to school leaders for official guidance."

https://thecornerstoneforteachers.co...eek-of-school/
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Unknowns are awful!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We got an email from the P- According to our current enrollment, we are over-staffed. She wanted to know if anyone planned on transferring to the Online only option. More unknowns...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote