Help

ARCHIVE

Report Card Weekend- Oh No!

>

Trinia2

Report Card Weekend- Oh No!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it just me who is always working hours on that last weekend before report card time? I'm just glad that Monday is Martin Luther King Day and I have an extra day.This year I bought a grading program, but have not entered the grades yet. I am always working on something else. I even have work that needs to be averaged in that is not corrected yet, especially those dreaded writing pieces! I have a co-worker who was finished with her report cards yesterday (at least the averaging part), and her room is absolutely immaculate. She works at school just the contractual hours and has everything under control. She may take work home, but honestly she has a busy home life so I don't think it's much.Why can't I be like her in my next life? I have always been this way (32.5 years), and I know I won't change in the next 2.5 years. I keep remembering back when I was a brand new teacher and was very upset that I had left my gradebook at home on report card weekend. My mom's friend who was an elementary principal said, "No problem! She knows what the kids deserve!" I put hours into report cards, agonizing over grades, tweaking them here and there, and sometimes I wonder, "Would they come out the same if I just went with my gut?"Does anyone else deal with these report card blues?

Trinia2 is online now   Reply With Quote

musicbug

First, have a cup of tea.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Now break what is left in baby steps. Yes you know your kids. And at this point, you need to know that the second chances are over and the truth must be faced.

1. Correct those Writing pieces first.

2. Take a break.

3. Finish the rest of the correcting.

4. Take a break.

5. Start with the first subject you must put on the report cards. Do all the averages for that area.

6. Take a break.

And so on until the report cards are done.
The breaks are needed. You sound overwhelmed Celebrate each baby step. Don't worry about super teacher next door. Everyone of us have dirty little secrets that make others think we have________________ all together. What you see may not be what is real. Stay focused, and you will finish with your sanity in tact. That is what I'm trying to do. My grades close Feb. 1st. I got my last writing for the quarter turned in today so I can grade them with out the pressure. My last big projects come in on the 28 th of this month. I pacing myself so I don't go into overload. I did that last quarter, I'm not planning to do that again if I can avoid it.
Hang in there!!!
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am with ya! On top of report card blues, I work in a district that exclusively uses Apple computers. We are required to do our report cards on the computer (elementary level)...and the person who created this years report cards did it so they can only be done on a Mac computer. I have a laptop at home and cannot use the program to do my report cards. It is highly irritating- because I am one of those teachers who does not stay after very often.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgrade

Averaging grades
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Averaging grades are SOOOO EASY.. I will send you the excel spreadsheet. All that you have to do is put in the students' names, the grade for each test/quiz/paper and how much weight you want on it (wk=1, test=3, etc). It is so easy. It equals it out.. All I do is write in their score. Return your other program, it was a waste of money. The only thing that you need is Microsoft Excel!
3rdgrade is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

lol, actually, for the first time this quarter, I finished my several days early (our quarter ended before Christmas break and ours were due the first day back-- teacher work day). This is a first for me. But my room was totally trashed from the week before break!

I wish I could be super organized and ready to go. I just cannot seem to do it though! ANd I work extra hours. *sigh*

GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

I struggle with this too
Old 01-19-2008, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

And my teammates think I'm all organized and stuff! Hah! If they only knew....

I make checklists. And I start to use them about three weeks prior to closing grades.

I pick each subject and be sure to grade everything old that I've procrastinated grading (and there is usually a TON! cause I'm a huge put-it-off-till-later person) I put each subject and each class period on my list separately and check them off. It's so rewarding and encouraging as that list gets scribbled off more and more!

The weekend before grades close I enter all my grades into my grading software. I wrote the excel program and used that but then I saw Gradequick and it does everything (mid terms and reports and missing assignments) for me! No problem! I bought a numeric keypad and enter them quickly that weekend. This is where I am on my list right now.

During the week in between my job is to grade as they come -- really put that planning time and before/after. There is time to plan the second work day. I avoid scheduling meetings/conferences during this week because I know I CAN'T get behind.

The weekend of grades or workdays I work hard bubbling (we had scan-tron sheets) or entering the grades in our brand new and horrible software.

My goal is to work so much that weekend and workday that my second workday is to organize, plan and get us all set for the new week. I've been lucky these last two quarters that just before the workdays we have Benchmark Standardized tests so I get to grade/prep a little while the kids work. This quarter I want to go to the district math conference this day so I may work extra hard on the wed-thurs prior to workdays so I don't have to plan the second day.

I work one afternoon each of those last three weekends (during first quarter it's better because I can grade like a crazy woman during football!)
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Trinia2

Thanks For Your Posts
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The suggestions were great, and I think the breaks are key. I did get quite a bit done today and will work some each day this weekend and week. Unfortunately, I don't have Excel; I have Quattro which I really don't know how to run. I will stick with my grading program; it's fine. Good luck to all of you with your reports and enjoy the weekend!
Trinia2 is online now   Reply With Quote