Special Education

Autistic child with no para

>

Kteachmc

Kteachmc

Autistic child with no para
Old 08-10-2019, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new student this year in my K classroom who is Autistic. This is all new to me. She has never been in a school setting before. She can follow along with what we are doing so far but has had several outbursts. She has no para and I'm thinking will not be getting one. Our special ed teacher will come in the classroom with her for about 30 min a day. I can tell she will need a lot of special attention. What are some things we can do to manage the outbursts and limit the effect on the other children. She is not as severe as some children I've seen and I believe a para would help her most but money is the issue. Speech is an issue I can barely understand her so I need some ideas for that. I'm mostly concerned when we start doing more structured heavy work which we do in Kindergarten how she will fair. I also worry how it will effect the other children. I believe she needs to be in the classroom but a para could handle situations while I teach. We are a small school and we don't have anyone who can come get her or assist with the outbursts. My principal justs wants me to handle it which I can but we stop a lot of projects and assignments to deal with the outbursts. Help !!!!! with any suggestions.

GraceKrispy

Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of the easiest and best thing to put into place would be some visual supports. The special ed teacher (if she has experience with autism) should be able to help. Here is a link that might give you some additional ideas: https://www.autismspeaks.org/tool-ki...rts-and-autism (Free download on the right side).

Here is another link: https://www.cdd.unm.edu/autism/pdfs/...%20Handout.pdf

Do you have speech therapy at your school? I would ask what types of visual supports a speech therapist could help design/teach to assist with understanding.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote