Help

Third Grade

Career Change!?

>

bella10

Career Change!?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I am writing this moreso to vent, but also to hear other perspectives and feelings. I am on my second year of teaching, and do it enjoy it. But, as many of you know, the salary is quite a struggle. I feel so frustrated that I have accomplished my goal of having a career, but yet, I do not make enough money to move out of my parent's house. I feel like it's so difficult to get hired into districts that make more money. I'm thinking about going back to school to get certified in a completely different career field. I want to be successful, and teaching has felt like such a dead end.

bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

knb0628

Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I completely understand. I'm a 3rd year teacher and our school is closing this year. Our district is making huge budget cuts for the 3rd year in a row and it looks probable that most if not all non-tenure teachers may be cut. So not only do we not get paid well, we are under constant stress. If I knew it would get better soon, it wouldn't be a big deal, but who knows when all of this will be over. Plus, as much as I love teaching the kids, I don't love all of the other crap we have had to start doing just since I started, and who knows what they'll add in the next 30 years!
knb0628 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tcupteacher

Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ohh, that makes me so sad. I've taught for 21 years and I still love it. If you can hang in there the pay does get better. Everyone is having a hard time with the economy so I wouldn't leave until you have something better lined up. I would be surprised if you can find something better right now. Also consider your benefits. Just a few things to think about.

Try to focus on the parts you love. I have never hated my job or wished I had done something else. I love my job. If you don't, you should find something you will love to do every day. Hope things work out. Good luck
Tcupteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Ooooh
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been teaching for 20 years, and I, too have been discouraged with the politics of education. In Indiana, where I teach, educators are being called incompetent based on failing state test scores. We are starting to be held accountable for things that are beyond our control. We cannot control the parents who do not take care of their children so that they can perform well at school.
I feel beat down!! I have considered finding a job in an entirely different career. If I thought I could find one somewhere, I would probably go. I am tired of working my tail off, spending tons of my own family hours and money, and still feeling like the public doesn't appreciate what I do. I say this in the general stance. I have not specifically been accused of being ineffective, and I have a lot of parents who think I am a great teacher, I just feel like no matter what I do, it is not good enough in the eyes of the state. I am one human and can only do so much.
I LOVE teaching, but really wish the politics of it all would go away.
In Indiana, there are threats that pay cuts will happen, salary schedules will be lowered, and merit pay will be based on test scores. So the pay getting better for a new teacher may not actually happen in Indiana. Do what your gut tells you. Sometimes teachers forget to look out for number one...
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote

BWIND

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also teach in Indiana, and am feeling totally stressed out! I love teaching, but feel whatever I do is not enough. I teach in a low poverty school with many parents that are addicted to meth and many other things. It's frustrating...I love my job, but feel totally defeated. I'm really tired of the lack of caring and trying among students and parents. I've considered a career change, but have no idea what it would be. I'm also tired of coming home at 5:00 and spending only about 3 hours with my own kids (4 and 6mos). I am in my 10th year of teaching and if I had know education would be this way when I went to college, I would have taken another route.

BWIND is offline   Reply With Quote