Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

Chinese New Year

>

Jules70

Chinese New Year
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade and I was wondering if anyone had ever taught/discussed Chinese New Year with little ones? I do a mini around the world unit during Christmas, and I thought it would be neat to expose my students to Chinese New Year. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Jules70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well in second grade... we read a story ( sorry can't remember it was in the basal) looked at chinese calendar..saw what animal we were. Made paper laterns. They looked nice hung up.
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Chinese New Year
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught Kindergarten, I read Ed Young's Cat and Rat: The Legend of the Chinese Zodiac. Great story that lends itself to some pretty cool activities. I found a link where you could order it from Amazon in case someone already checked it out of your libray.
http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Rat-Legend...6970007&sr=1-4

We also had some obstacle course races...thought of animals that could have been added to the calendar because of a wonderful trait...found our animal on the zodiac calendar according to our birthdate, invited a talented Chinese restaurant owner in to our class. She was the mom of a student one year but returned for years afterwards...she taught some simple origami, simple Chinese greetings in two dialects, gave each child a coin in a red envelope I bought from Oriental Trading (red is a color of luck), and basically gave respect and acceptance to another culture's holiday.
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually do a short Chinese New Year unit. My first graders love it! We read lots of books, talk about the customs and tradions. We also compare CNY to our new year in terms of meaning and celebrations.

We make lanterns, a Chinese calendar, a booklet about our "animal" of the Chinese Zodiac. In years past, we have gone to Chinatown for a field trip (area surrounding Chinatown has gone downhill in recent years so not really safe now) and we have visited a Chinese restaurant and had lunch.

I have bought quite a few items from Chinatown and we decorate the classroom. It is really fun!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote