TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Dog question: board or stay at home?

>

lioee

lioee

Dog question: board or stay at home?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be gone for two weeks and have made arrangements to have my dog boarded at my vet. I was planning on leaving my cat at home, but my friend who would come by and check on the cat volunteered to stop in and take out my dog, but she'd only be able to do it once a day (due to work/time).
If I did keep my dog at home she'd be in a spare bedroom (no carpet). I'd have it set up so that there would be a place to go potty when she had to go if necessary. What do you think? It would definetely save me money vs. having to pay for boarding.
She's a small dog that gets stressed going to the vet. What do you think would be best? I know just from being home all day during summer vacation that my doggie sleeps most of the day.

Gromit

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd get a pet sitter. They'll come more than once a day and are about the same cost as boarding. Boarding at the vet is so stressful.

Or look for a high quality cage free boarding place. The place we took our dogs was like having them go stay at a friend's house but with 10 other dogs.

I definitely wouldn't leave my dog locked in a room with only one visit a day.

trishg1

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We left our dogs for a weekend once- we knew they would go to the unfinished basement. We left early sat and came home late sunday. They were no worse for the wear.

I think your dog would be happier at home. Is the bedroom familiar to her? I would lean toward that myself if it wasn't two weeks. That is a long time.

MeMimi

Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I say two weeks is too long to leave a dog alone, especially since someone is only coming once a day. It would make me too nervous.

Hope you have a good trip!

Tchn4fun

Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think dogs need a lot more human contact than cats. I don't think getting let out once a day is enough. Can't you find a doggie daycare? Two weeks is way too long IMHO.

wildflowerz

Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree that two weeks is too long. At the vet they will get more attention.

tripteach

At least two times a day
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My dh had a pet sitting business for years while our children were young. He had a policy that he would not pet-sit for less than two visits a day(for dogs). It is just too long for e dogs to be left alone. Most people had him visit for 3 times a day. I used to go with him on visits and it was heart breaking to see just how excited the dogs were to see us. We were their only human contact! Boarding is good too, but with both alternatives you need to screen your caretakers very well. The reason we started the pet sitting business was because our local do boarding facility did not care for our dogs like they said they were going to.

binkbonk

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

2 weeks for a dog is too long. Should definitely be boarded.

mooba1

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Get a pet sitter if you can (my vet always has people to recommend) or put your dog in doggy day care. Personally, I've had great luck with Petsmart, and my dog loves it there. At least there, the dogs get a chance to socialize. Definitely I would not keep the dog locked in a room for two weeks.

NCteacher

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Find a pet sitter to come in and ask if that person has a backup. It would be bad if the sitter or your friend got stuck in traffic or sick or something. Do you have a trusted friend who could stay at your house or take the dog to hers? If you decide to use a pet sitter, ask how long they will spend with your dog. When I was in the hospital having my DS, we hired a pet sitter. She bonded and insured, she came to meet our dog and play with her before I went to the hospital. She visited 2 times a day for a minimum of 1 hour each visit. She spent time walking, training with and playing with my dog. I think my dog liked the sitter better than me when I got home!

lioee

lioee

Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm going to board her at the vet like I originally planned. I will be worried about her and feel better that if there's an emergency she's at the vet. She might not like being there, but I think it's best for her. Thanks for confirming what I already thought. :-)

ZipLine

Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think it's best you board too so I was happy to see you made that decision.

tripteach

Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am so glad you made that decision. People often say their dog sleeps all day, but the dog still has you there. Companionship is really huge for dogs!