Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Vegetarian

>

5thGrdTeachTN

Vegetarian
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After watching the documentaries Food Inc. and Forks Over Knives, DH and I are looking to adopt more of a vegetarian lifestyle. This is going to be interesting as we currently have meat for dinner 5-6 nights a week and neither of us are big vegetable eaters. However, we are going to give it a go.

If you are vegetarian, what are some of your favorite online resources? TIA

Overlightnes

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would start out small otherwise it's like a punishment. Start it in steps. I cut out only red meat and I haven't missed it.

Tchn4fun

Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't eaten meat in over 25 years and I don't miss it at all. Pinterest has a lot of great recipes and so does allrecipes dot com. But mostly, I just make it up as I go. Just be wary that it's really easy to replace the fullness you feel from eating meat with high carb foods like pasta and breads, and this is not healthy. Good luck!

AD

Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We don't eat a lot of meat either.

I haven't looked at a lot of resources, but some easy things we do:

black bean burgers (go to Whole Foods website and look under their recipe section).

grilled veggies mixed with taco seasoning (instead of meat for tacos) I use mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, carrots

Grilled veggies in spaghetti rather than meat

For chili you can double up the beans and use veggies.

If you don't want to cut out all meat, focus on chicken and turkey and make it a side to your meal rather than the main meal. I also buy free range, grass-fed chicken and turkey.

emgirl

Mark bitman's
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Vegetarian cookbook. Linda mccartney's cookbook. My friend told me about Clean food last night. I don't know much about that one...

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Congrats on starting down this path!!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been on it for two years, and have done a lot of reading in that time.

Carbohydrates per se are not the enemy. On the contrary, WHOLE FOOD carbs like corn, beans, and brown rice should be the mainstay of your diet, and even processed carbs like bread and pasta are okay though not as nutrient-dense. High-nutrient vegetables like onions, cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and brussels sprouts, and berries are essential, of course, but may be too low-calorie to fill you up.

Please see Dr. John McDougall's web site, and his brand-new book The Starch Solution. There's an hour-long video on his web site where he talks about the concept, and you can browse parts of the book on Amazon.com.

And Dr. McDougall's Quick and Easy Cookbook is great.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Again, congratulations!

grav_def

Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like Overlightness's advice to start small. I cut out red meat in 1998, all meat/poultry/fish in 2001 (?), and all animal products (egg, dairy...) over several months in 2004-2005. I've been completely vegan for more than 7 years, and don't miss anything at all, and honestly am to a point where I have trouble even answering questions like this because it's so easy for me now. (On the other hand, I do know a guy, also vegan, who swears that "cold tofurkey" is the only way to go.)

As far as resources, I don't have any single one that I love. VegWeb.com used to be really good, but my antivirus goes crazy whenever I try to open it now, so I don't recommend it for that reason! I usually find that just googling "vegan recipe for _______" will give me any number of good choices. Also, I'd suggest getting a bunch of different veg cookbooks out of the library. Then if you find one you really like, you can buy it, but you won't waste money on cookbooks that are too complicated/have weird ingredients/have recipes that don't work right/etc.

Good luck, enjoy the great food, and feel free to PM me with any questions!