Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

DS with April birthday..wwyd?

>

abcteacher

DS with April birthday..wwyd?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM

If you had or have a child with an April birthday would you send them to kindergarten at 5 or hold them back a year and start when they are 6?

I'm torn. He's ready academically and his preschool teacher has nothing but positive things to say about his behavior and interactions at school. The people I ask are split in their opinions. Half say to wait, especially since he's a boy. The other half say send him. I want to make the right decision.

What are your opinions?

abcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

April birthday
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM

I started my DS at 5. It actually never occurred to me not to start him.mapril isn't really that early of a birthday. Our cutoff is Sept. 1, so that's still 5 months of younger kids who will probably be going to kindergarten.
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

April 3
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM

My son started at 5.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Start K
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM

I say go for it, based on what you've shared unless he's esp. little or anxious. I think if there was any reason to delay, the pre-school would have suggested doing so.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Brooke S.

kindergarten
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM

I have never actually heard of someone waiting when their child is born in April. I have heard of people waiting when their child turns 5 in August though.

I'm sure he will be fine. Otherwise, if you waited he would be turning 7 in kindergarten.

My vote is send him.

Brooke S. is offline   Reply With Quote

OmahaTeacher

kinder
Old 02-07-2013, 04:26 PM

If you think your son is ready, then I'd send him. My son turned 5 in May and I decided to wait a year. He just wasn't completely ready (and neither was I). He'll be much better starting at 6, but that is the best thing for my son. You have to do what's best for yours.
OmahaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Both of our boys are May and our DD is a late July preemie (7 weeks early). We started all 3 on time and though our first was a bit on the socially immature side for awhile (he did fine academically), all 3 did just fine. The second and third actually have thrived in school! It really depends upon the child and yours sounds ready based on what you are sharing.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM

I would send him.

Unless he is exceptionally delayed either cognitively or socially. If he does have an exceptional delay, he should be getting some type of remediation in the year instead.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

lw1212

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM

My son turned 5 on July 31st and we sent him to kindergarten a few weeks later. He did just fine and is now a freshman in college.

I teach kindergarten and in my opinion, it really just depends on the child. Many children are very ready for kindergarten who are "young" age-wise, and there are others who are very immature who have been five for several months.

If you and your son's preschool teacher feel he is ready, send him!
lw1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Like a PP, I would not consider April to be a late birthday at all. If it were September or October, I guess it might be worth a second thought (although I was 5 in September, so when I started I was 4 for a week and everything was okay), but I would never consider waiting beyond that unless there were already some delays showing.

jvar87 is online now   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Send Him
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM

Send him at 5. I also don't think April is late. I recently watched a webinar from a professor about how the brain works. I forget where it was from, but it was a well regarded school, like Stanford or something. Anyway, he said that redshirtting is detrimental because keeping kids back from K a year also keeps them away from intellectually challenging peers.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachtoScrap

Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

My son started Kinder this year at 5. His birthday is April 25th.
I have never heard of anyone keeping an April baby back either.
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

A.J.Teach

Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM

I have a son born in April and I sent him, but my late August son I held until he was 6. They both were successful in school and graduated as valedictorians. I think it depends on your son.
A.J.Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

abcteacher

Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies! I always just assumed he would be going at 5 then others started giving me doubts, including my P. I feel much better about our decision to send him.

Kaimana

Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM

I wouldn't have even considered waiting with an April birthday. My son didn't turn 5 until August 13 and my daughter in July, and they both started kindergarten. Here in Hawaii the cut off age isn't until December and we have many four year olds. I think that is changing, though.
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM

My ds turned 5 the day before he started Kdg. He is a junior in HS and doing fine both academically and socially. I would send him.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

kiki056

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM

He would be one of the oldest in my class. Our cutoff date is December 31st. I have many kids start at age 4. Sure some of them are a little young in terms of maturity, but others are some of my brightest students. One of my best students has a December 31st birthday.

Last edited by kiki056; 02-07-2013 at 06:16 PM..
kiki056 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchn4fun

Fyi:
Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Here in BC, Canada, our cut-off is DECEMBER 31st!! Much too late, in my opinion. My GS started K this year and his birthday is Oct. 30th, so he was 4 for the first 2 months (December babies are 4 for the first 3 or 4 months). It does, however, help ease daycare costs.
Tchn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

CHenard

Kinder
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM

My son was 4 for 3 1/2 months when he started kindergarten. We told the school we would pull him out if it didn't work out. They REALLY didn't want him to start that early but his Pre-K teacher said she didn't know what she would do with him for another year.

He's in 4th grade now and doing extremely well. My only worries are about him starting college so young.

Good luck, I know it's a tough decision.
CHenard is offline   Reply With Quote

SwimmerGirl

Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Send him!

If the preschool teachers think he's fine, he likely will be. Just because he's a boy doesn't mean he should wait. Some boys, yes. All boys, NO!

He would be among the oldest in my class with that birthday, too.
SwimmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM

My son's birthday is at the end of May and I sent him, but I wish I would have waited. My son was home with me and I sent him to preschool at 4 because he needed to develop social skills. I decided to send him to K at 5 because he was already reading and I didn't want him to be bored by waiting around a year. In hindsight, I should have kept him out of K another year and given him a little more time to mature.

However, I wasn't a teacher at the time, and I really didn't realize the social deficits my son had(has). If you don't have any particular concerns about your son, I wouldn't hold him back with an April birthday.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

Send him
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM

The ONLY way I would hold an April birthday is if there were concerns. I don't get it. Why would you wait??
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

abcteacher

Trip teach
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM

I have never intended on waiting. The plan was to send him at 5. Then people were telling me they waited to send their child at 6 and never regretted it, they went ahead and sent their child at 5 and wish they'd waited, boys mature slowly, he will be a stronger student by starting later, etc. Then I started doubting my decision. Reading the replies have made me more confident in sending him at 5.

By the way, our cutoff is Sept. 15.

freckleface

My son
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM

was born April 11 and he was a late walker and talker (18 months and 17 months). I was concerned as he did things in his own time. I talked to our optional kindergarten teachers and they tested him and said he was a little behind in some of his skills, so we sent him to optional kindergarten which is like a prekindergarten. He started regular kindergarten when he was 6. He's almost 26 now and doing fine! I'm glad we held him back.
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM

If he was struggling I would say yes wait. Since you say he is not struggling I would say send him on time. Otherwise you will have a child who is a little or a lot ahead of other children socially and academically for a long time which can be tedious for the child.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM

My youngest is a May 30 bday. I sent him with no hesitation. He's doing great and I can't imagine him being in K now. I don't think kids should turn 7 during kindergarten unless there is a very obvious reason.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

sky22

hold him
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Sorry I totally disagree with everyone. Having sent our March birthday son when he was that age, I was so sorry. He was academically ready, even advanced, and I thought that would be enough. However, especially with boys, that is not enough. Physically and socially he was behind. Everything was fine until Middle school when physical and social become a HUGE deal. The area that he wanted to excel in was sports, and physically he just wasn't as ready as his peers. When boys aren't happy with themselves at middle school and high school, they find other ways and groups to find acceptance.

My son eventually got his life together but -after many years of troubled times. He is now an adult. I just don't get why anyone would want to push a child, especially a boy, into school, when there is a far greater chance of success, the older they are.

From the voice of experience--- hold him and give him a far greater chance of success.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM

I would think ahead. Do you really want your child turning 19 several months before high school graduation? I would not do that to my child unless there were really strong reasons for it.

My son has a May birthday - no way would I have held him back. He's a senior now and, hard as it is to send him off to school I'm really happy for him and feel like it's the appropriate age for him to do so.

Last edited by MKat; 02-07-2013 at 11:07 PM..
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Sariana

Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Cut-offs exist for a reason. People should honor them (barring a true developmental delay). Most kids would be just fine if OTHER people would stop holding back THEIR kids. But since so many do, those who are the "right" age seem behind.

OP you probably should do some more research into what is common in your area. If everyone around you is holding back, your son may seem behind even when he's not. Which is why, IMO, "red shirting" should not be allowed.

My DS has a July birthday but was supposed to be born in September. Despite his diagnoses, we sent him on time. (Our cut-off at the time was Dec 2). So he now is in third grade and will not be nine until summer. Even though he struggles socially (because he is on the spectrum), I fail to see how being with younger students would have helped him mature more.

IME most social issues are not related to age (or only peripherally so).
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM

My birthday was ten days before our September 1st deadline but my mon sent me. Overall I turned out okay and was in the top quarter of my graduating class. My mom used to say that she occasionally wished she held me back because I may have had more confidence socially being one of the oldest in my class instead of one of the youngest but knew I had not been scarred for life.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 AM

If you send him and you later decide you should have held him, he can always repeat kinder. I say follow your gut. If you think he is ready, then he probably is.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM

I have triplets born in April. Preschool teacher said two are very ready for kindergarten, but the third will possibly struggle. What to do with that one?! Well, the third did struggle, a little, but by third grade there was no difference academically. They are now juniors in high school and are doing great.
I am all for holding kids back, but there needs to be overwhelming evidence that it will do more good than harm. I have a nephew that was held back- he was born in July. He had problems in school anyway and always would say, "I'm so dumb my mom didn't even send me to school until I was 6." He eventually dropped out of school, but then went back to get his GED. But holding him back caused bigger problems for him!
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Mine are April, May and June and they all started at 5. Unless you have specific reasons to be concerned, I wouldn't think twice about it. He is right about in the middle age wise, there are going to be many kids younger than him. I also think about when he is in high school. Our kids get their license when they are 17 and they are normally juniors. Occasionally we have a student who started young and they don't get their license until early in the senior year! Holding him back means he will get his license almost a year ahead of his classmates which could cause problems when few, if any others will be driving.
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote