Help

Third Grade

Novels for Whole or Small Group

>

Teach4

Novels for Whole or Small Group
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It is textbook/supply ordering time around my school - eek!

So. . .I am thinking of getting some new novels to do in small groups or as a whole class. What is everyone reading out there?

We have done Charlotte's Web but I'm over it for a variety of reasons. I have also done Ramona Quimby, Age 8, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Chocolate Touch.

Any other ideas? Also, if you wouldn't mind saying whether you used it with a whole class or small group and feel that's appropriate, that would be great.

Any you would absolutely positively never read with a class again are appreciated as well. I have been doing this a long time but I'm feeling stuck.

Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids love The Magic Tree House books. I start that as a read aloud because it gets them involved in a series if books. Then we do them as small group. Some other books we read in groups are Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days,Sideway Stories from Wayside School, Mr Popper' s Penguins, Little House books,and A to Z mysteries. Beverly Cleary books are good. Last year I read aloud The Lemonade Wars and they liked that. If I think of more I will add to it.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Calithecat

Novels
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some novels I use in literature circles include Class Clown, Chocolate Fever, Sarah, Plain and Tall, and Horrible Harry (for my readers - below level).

I like Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes for a class book.
Calithecat is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Great Titles
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love Chocolate Touch because the students alway enjoy that title.(small group)

Also agree with previous poster about Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days. Funny story, short read! (small group)

I really enjoy teaching Stone Fox year after year. It is what I consider a beginner survival novel. Short read. Old film version with Buddy Ebsen is fun to include for compare and contrast purposes. (whole class)

I like teaching Little House in the Big Woods to teach students about pioneer life. It reads more like nonfiction with many explanations of different processes like smoking meat, making butter..... It works really well for teaching sequencing. I bought the book on CD and use it for the two chapters that include fiddle music. (whole class)

For science fiction I have two favorites. One is Aliens for Breakfast. This is humorous and a very short read. It has a couple of sequels. Another great one is titles Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner. It is about a boy who want to survive on water and sunlight alone without eating just like most plants. This is a wonderful novel to read while studying plants in science. (small group)

7 X 9 = Trouble is a cute story to read when you introduce multiplication. (whole group)

Muggie Maggie is a great read if you teach cursive handwriting.(whole group)

Punished- very funny- full of puns I think it is better to read toward the end of the year so they are more mature readers and will understand the puns.

Magic Treehouse Research Guides- We read Space and Rain Forests but they are all great nonfiction informational reading. (whole class)

Love That Dog- short read, only takes about three days to read but it is the perfect intro to poetry.(whole class)

George's Marvelous Medicine is another fun Roald Dahl novel.(small group)

Teach mystery genre at the beginning of the year using Cam Jansen series. Favorite title is The Missing Dinosaur Bone, but they are all cute. (small groups)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think you've gotten a bunch of excellent suggestions! I too love the Little House books, anything by Beverly Cleary or Roald Dahl, Stone Fox, and Chocolate Touch.

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lots of great suggestions and lots for me to think about.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

stampingal

book levels
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please, could you all tell me the reading levels of the books you suggested? I have a fellow teacher that does "Trumpet of the Swans" and some others whole group, but they are on 5th grade reading level, which I think is too high a level. But I have never taught 3rd before, so I would like your opinion.
stampingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Chesterton

Another Third Grade Novel
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use The Indian in the Cupboard, Old Yeller, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. They really love The Indian in the Cupboard.
Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote

Out2Recess

class novels
Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a 2nd grade teacher with a mixed class of general and high ability students. Here are some of the books we have studied in groups. I have 8-17 students in a group.

2nd gr. level:
Long Way to a New Land, Mercy Watson, Pinky and Rex and the Bully, Sarah Plain and Tall, Bears on Hemlock Mountain, Tornado
3rd-4th gr. level:
Meet Addy (American Girl), Frindle, The Hundred Dresses, Dexter the Tough, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Out2Recess is offline   Reply With Quote

glasgow314

Whole Group??
Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ok I love the book list given. Just wondering how ya'll do a whole group book. Do you read it aloud to students, have them read in groups or have each student read to self. We are starting to do more book studies but it is overwhelming to start. Also, we spent 3 weeks reading How to Eat Fried Worms. Do you think spending this much time in a novel is beneficial to them? I want them to grow as readers and thinkers but also have to keep that state test in mind. Thanks

glasgow314 is offline   Reply With Quote