Help

Third Grade

early finishers?

>

KCN96

early finishers?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First year teacher here..I need something for early finishers..i do not have any computers for students I do not have a active board yet. I also am limited on copies because my whole team does not have their boards yet and we are on a limit(our limit is actually 2000 for one month and it will shut off we are having to make more copies due to lack of board(i have a small sliver of a whiteboard(rest is taken up by agenda which is mandatory and it takes 3/4 of the board and that's with teeny tiny writing.
we also do not have enough textbooks for everyone. I do already have some stuff for during reading time(extra stuff that goes further with our reading program) but I need more math. I do not want to just give them busy work I have about 5 that are high and finish very early.

Looking for ideas that are not going to cost much as we have not gotten our first paycheck yet and i am pretty broke.(have 3 kids of my own)

Thank you for any help. I have only taught private pre-k so third grade is all new to me.

KCN96 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I may be in the minority here but students can 1) silent read or 2) work on unfinished work. I refuse to spend time and money on fancy things for them to do because 1) I don't want them rushing through to get to the fun stuff and 2) research shows that the best way for students to become better readers is to READ. To that end, I try to provide as many opportunities for them to read as possible. As for the unfinished work, I hate hunting them down for it so it's their responisibility to work on it in their free time (and talk to me about what they owe me).

I'm sure others will have other ideas but that's my philosophy.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

I agree
Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

with GreyhoundGirl. I don't want anything extra to create, collect, check, etc. When students are done with their work in math, they study their math facts. In Science/S.S., I have topic specific books for them to read. In writing, they write. The rest of the day, they silent read on their own.
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Br3

Old 08-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Reading is always one of my go to options for early finishers.
Mrs. Br3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Calithecat

Early Finishers
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All above ideas work well in the classroom. In addition, you could give students graph/grid paper and they can make a word search with the spelling words. Or write a word on the board (ex. cat) and have the students make a word ladder by changing one letter at a time, (cat, sat, set, net ...) Another option is to purchase dice at the dollar store (roll 4 dice and make the largest number, smallest number and other math activities). Also, you could find something on a free website that you like and laminate it so students can use it again and again. Good luck!

Calithecat is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree: Reading silently is the best option. Or they can catch up on unfinished homework or study for an upcoming test. The thing about early-finisher type stuff is as soon as the class sees it, everyone wants to do it, even if they don't qualify. Then you have a ruckus to settle down and some hurt feelings, because of course some kids never get to the early-finisher thing, which they see as a fun reward, not a time occupier. I require my students to keep a book at their desks and read when they're done.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like a few options, and agree that reading should definitely be one. Make it a rule that students always need to have "enough book(s)" at their desk - meaning if they are close to the end of one, they have already chosen the next one at whatever time you allow that - so finishing doesn't become social hour at your classroom library.

I also like writing. They should have journals at their desk, and you can leave an interesting prompt posted somewhere in the room, and change it weekly.

For math, practicing multiplication facts is always good for third grade. You could also post a "puzzle of the week" or a "number of the day" somewhere. For number of the day, they come up with as many ways to make the number as they can think of (42, for example, might prompt 7x6, 50-8, etc.)

If you have really high kids who are getting bored with these options, you can always give them a paper with Pi written out to 100 digits, and see who can memorize it the farthest. It helps to group the digits in clusters of 5, like this:
3.14159 26535 89793 ...

Last edited by Lakeside; 08-18-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

early finishers
Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you finish your work, you have 3 choices: read to self, work on writing, finish up other work.
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

KCN96

Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

thank you for the ideas and also for your opinions
I to would prefer they read but i will take some of the other ideas as well. when i was student teaching they made us always have all this extra stuff but I really agree with what all of u said..i feel like if i give them busy work its just a waste.
KCN96 is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorsue

Weekly Boggle Board
Old 08-19-2014, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

TPT has several free versions. I do a 4x4 board of letters and the kids work on building as many words as possible when they have free time - by Wed they may use classroom dictionary for help.....Friday they can work with a friend. I also encourage read to self but some will work on this for several min before getting out their books.

sailorsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Could you diversify your math so that all students are being challenged? I always worry if more than one or two are finishing work early. I figure that means my material is too easy or I've provided too little content for the time allowed. If you have 25 students that's a 5th of your class that is finished before they could be. Could you have math centers students could transition to or do guided math groups while students are completing independent work? This would give you time to challenge students who excel in math while helping students who struggle.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote