Help

Special Education

Refusal to Work - Autism

>

bella10

Refusal to Work - Autism
Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Would love to hear other strategies on coaxing an Autistic student to complete classwork... Reward systems, chopping up the work and inputting breaks, etc. How about the language you use? Or other ideas to motivate the student? Thank you!

bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Do you know his "hook" or high interest area?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most students with Autism have something they are "hooked" on... If you know that, use it to your advantage.

I have a student with Autism and ADHD- He love to have his back scratch with a scratcher. He is also addicted to trivia--either on the computer or in books.

I set a timer and expect him to behave well for that amount of time (it was very short originally.) If he has stayed on task and behaved well, I scratch his back with an acrylic back scratcher. If he is successful for 3 rounds, he gets about 10 +/- minutes on the tablet.

If he gets off task or blurts out/talks during the timer, it either doesn't count at all or he has to restart the timer. It was a chore working up to this but he loves having his back scratched and he loves tablet time.

If he loves pirates, or weather, or whatever, get something related to the hook that he ONLY gets during reward time.

Good luck. It can be very trying.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

This happened to my nephew...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not being a smart #ss, but have you asked him why no work?

My nephew has level I autism. Whenever an outright refusal would happen, it was never about the work but something else. The kid who sat next to him who bathed in his older brother's Axe spray. The semi dead fluorescent light tube above his desk. One year his class was across from the cafeteria and the kitchen sounds drove him mad. When his gut would act up and he'd be a crampy mess. Everything paled in comparison to those things, so he shut down. A NT kid might verbalize the problem or ignore it. With my nephew, it was so overwhelming to him, he couldn't do anything else.

Maybe with a little detective work, you might find an easy solution. Also everything what Lottalove said.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Visuals
Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you tried visuals? You either cut or draw a line to section the work off. For each section you draw a circle. When the work is completed you cross a circle off.

You could also use a token board (with or without a reward) to give him an idea of how much is left.

Is he being allowed to escape work if he avoids? For example, you have 20 minutes of Social Studies to complete the work before PE. Even if the work is not completed, he may still be going to PE.

How hard is the work? Do you present much easier work to get him into the groove of working?

Are the directions oral or written? If they are written are they easy to reference?
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach a severe/sub separate ASD class and have multiple kiddos who will flat out refuse. There is one who is very stubborn and could not care less about losing rewards or earning tokens, etc. It was very frustrating. He was literally doing nothing for 2 months. I took away the bean bag chairs, the ipad, computer, his books. He didnt care. He was happy just laying there, rolling around and making noise.

I figured out one day as I was basically pleading with him to put his coat on because it was dismissal, that he LOVES looking at the pictures on my phone. I asked him if hed like to see some of my Disney vacation pics and he jumped right up. That worked all week. Anything I wanted him to do I just had to say ok , we are going to do work and then you can look at my pictures.

That finally wore out his attention and he discovered SnapChat. I created an account only for the use of the filters that make funny faces. I let him earn a few minutes of looking at himself as a dog when he does his work. There is no way of him sending the pics anywhere. This has resulted in him doing sooooo much work i could cry.

I now reserve the snapchat for extreme cases, when I can't reach him any other way.

What is working now, now that I got him used to actually working, is having him monitor his own behavior. So I make a checklist of my expectations and when we are done with the activity, he reads through the check list and will write "yes" for everything he did. Like I need to be quiet, I did all my work, I did not hurt my friends, etc
When he gets all "yes" then he earns something of his choice.

It was a looong process. I started off giving him a high preferred thing for doing very little. Like, you wrote your name! Heres my phone!! And then made the work time longer and the reward time shorter until I am now not giving him that electronic as a motivator.

Its hard and every day is a struggle! I feel you!

Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote