Help

The VENT

Just send your child to school!

>

PrivateEyes

Just send your child to school!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who has missed 9 out of the 46 days we've been in school. If she misses 20 days, she will automatically repeat. She was absent on Halloween day and the two days before Halloween. So, I told her it was a shame that she missed trick or treating. Oh no. She got to go trick or treating because she went to the doctor that day and he gave her some pink medicine and made it all better!

So, she missed two days this week. She told me that she had a doctor's appointment on Monday, but they had to cancel due to the rain on Monday and go Tuesday instead. Mom's note said she was out due to congestion and coughing.

I might think she was a bit delicate, but her brother had the same sort of attendance trends. She really ought to be a PITA instead of a really nice little girl. Perhaps her parents would send her to school. All of my more challenging students have pretty darn near perfect attendance.

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

hikearound

Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I sure wish we were able to retain. I have a child who has been absent 21/37 days he's been enrolled. We don't have truancy to enforce anything either.
hikearound is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

I'm with Hike...
Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We can't retain for anything- especially attendance! I have a couple with that type of attendance.

Mine are 5th graders and they "don't know why" they are absent Give me a break!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We can't repeat for attendance, either. It is so frustrating. We have children who attend as little as 37% of the days school is on, but we have to put them up to the next grade. By the end of Year 6, when they should have had seven years of schooling, they have had the equivalent of maybe 2.5 or 3, and that very broken. Kids of average intelligence, who should be at level, who are nowhere near it.

There are laws on the books about attendance, but they are completely toothless, because nobody will take on this community in a meaningful way.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Agree
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have so many kids whose parents keep them home for seemingly nothing. Often the kids will even tell us they weren’t sick. Mom just couldn’t get it together enough to walk them to school. And then people wonder why some kids are so behind.

TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirrelly1

Old 11-16-2017, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could have been talking about one of my special ed kindergartners from last year. She missed 19 days last year. The mom finally got it together and started sending her more half way through the school year after an attendance meeting. And she also was one of the sweetest, well behaved students!
Squirrelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest5512

Guest5512

Old 11-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The right to free public education doesn’t seem to be valued by those who need it most. Wouldn’t it be awesome to teach in a classroom where all students want to learn?

Summerwillcom

It is crazy the differences in state laws!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We can't hold a kid back unless it is parent suggested here! No truancy laws...nothing! We have some parents who really take advantage of it too. I am in the same boat w/ the challenging kids. Their parents send them no matter what! There are kids all over the world who would love such a free education that we provide. I wish we could trade the lazies and crazies in for those types of kids!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote