Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Halloween-Piggyback on the piggyback

>

hiker1

Halloween-Piggyback on the piggyback
Old 07-26-2019, 05:24 PM

As a kid I remember being out after 10 trick or treating. (This was in the 70's). We would go all over the neighborhood. Back then there were no parents with you unless you were really young. We would wear our costumes to school and pass out candy. After school we would go to the park field house and there would be a party and costume constest. Then we would go home dump our stuff and go out again. Good times.

hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-26-2019, 07:40 PM

It sounds like you all really had a fun time! I remember being out much later trick or treating with friends too when we were older. We would come home, dump our candy and go back out!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Still like that...
Old 07-27-2019, 04:05 AM

Where I grew up, kids can run as long as porch lights are on still to this day.

I remember filling a queen size pillow cases twice during the treating. 1970s was a good decade for a kid. Letting your kids run "feral" held sway.

Halloween circa 1970s

5 and up-no parents. At least in my neighborhood.

6:30 ish to 7 PM. People with infants and toddlers came out. No self respecting trick or treater would be out then. Adults! Ugh! Nope!

7pm to 8pm-you and a gang of 10 kids ran the hood. We covered a two square mile area looking back. Everyone brought pillow cases. We ate Hersey bars for energy without having our parents xraying them.

8pm to 10ish. Dump 1st pillow case loot. Eat a snack size bag of Fritos and a couple little Snicker bars. Out until there were literally no lights on.

I don't think very many kids could ToT that way anymore. We literally ran between 7 and 10ish pm. It was all about the hustle. The longest my DD lasted was 90 minutes and that was with her friends for motivation.

Probably we hustle because it was literally the only time we got candy besides a birthday treat. We were never allowed to snack or have anything like candy growing up. None of my friends had snacks on demand either.

I used to sell my chocolates for hard cash. A nickle was a big deal in 1972. 20 mini Snickers equals one dollar, which wasn't kid chump change back then.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-27-2019, 05:59 AM

Not surprisingly, my experience is similar to Tawaki's, even though it happened a decade or so later.

One thing about Detroit...adults ToT there and I've never seen that anywhere else.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-27-2019, 06:56 AM

I lived way out in the country. In order to trick or treat, we either stayed in town after school with my aunt, or mom and dad took us in. Needless to say, we did not stay out for hours, but I think we were completely satisfied with our haul! I do not remember using a pillowcase ever.

My own kids probably went for 90 minutes or so. Maybe a little more when in late elementary school. Later the novelty of getting so much wore off and they went for a while and either hung at friend's houses or ours.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Bwahaha!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 AM

We had adults with their kids ToT. They bring wagons and thermoses filled with heaven knows what.

My dad's old sub has adults do haunted houses in their from yards. Animatronics...the works!

Some houses look like they spend $10K on all their gear.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote