Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Strs

>

rlyndecker

Strs
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 AM

Not sure if this is the correct board but hopefully someone from CALIFORNIA can help me out- I am off the ENTIRE year for medical.

My district has told me I get the 10 sicks days, then 5 extra, then 100 differential pay; in the meantime, I pay normal insurance.

after this, I have to write a letter to the board requesting a leave of absence for the rest of the year. If they approve it, I pay my share and the the district's share of the insurance.

I pay for an outside disability. My step-mom says STRS should do something, but I think they are just retirement? then she says essentially I should be allowed to go on medicare!

Anyone know how to explain all this? I would be very appreciative!

thank you!

rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-20-2019, 08:36 AM

First, Iím so sorry your struggle is long.

Iím in California and I think your stepmother is mistaken. STRS is only retirement. And I donít think Medicare is for you either. Do you think she means Medicaid?

I think the information your district gave you is correct. I know it seems unfair that you have to continue to pay your insurance, but you will be on leave and probably donít want to let that insurance drop.

I donít really understand how disability works, but it seems like, when your district stops paying your salary, you should receive disability. You are unable to work. Isnít that what disability is for? I imagine your district has the disability info (though they may not be advertising as they will have to contribute).

Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 AM

I wish I could help you, but I have no idea. I just wanted to post and say how happy I am to "see" you on the board!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-20-2019, 08:57 AM

One more thought: if your stepmother is suggesting you pull the money you paid into STRS, I strongly recommend you NOT do that.

And about California State Disability Insurance:
Quote:
.The plan provides up to one year of tax-free benefits equal to 55% of the recipient's average gross (pre-tax) income in a recent base period quarter. The minimum benefit is $50 a week and as of January 1, 2017, the upper limit is $1,173 per week. Excluding the current and immediately previous quarter, the base period is the four quarters immediately prior to that. The weekly benefit is 55% of the recipient's average weekly pay during the highest earning quarter in the base period. For example, assuming the recipient's highest quarterly earnings were $3,900 then dividing by 13 weeks, gives an average pay rate of pay of $300 per week. At 55% of this, the benefit amount would be $165 per week (or $330 per two-week benefit payment period).

Last edited by amiga13; 08-20-2019 at 09:13 AM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM

I'm very glad to hear from you on PT, too.

Last edited by Cassyree; 08-20-2019 at 06:55 PM..
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Great to see you posting rlyndecker If I were you I would begin with a state disability office. Calling my teacher union would be at the top of the list too, Many people in unioni leadership know what to do in these situations. Don't forget you may eventually qualify for MediCal.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

no option
Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 AM

In my California district we were not eligible for and did not pay into state disability.

I purchased a disability policy of my own. Since you did the same, I would be in contact with them. You may actually come out ahead and then pay the health premium.

Happy that you are posting. Take care and be strong.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Strs
Old 08-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Good to hear from you. I’m in Northern California, and strs is just for retirement. Your district should have its own health insurance program, often Kaiser or blue Cross. Follow what your district tells you to do.

I don’t believe my district had disability insurance, but I think you get it through the State dept. of employment/unemployment once you have used up all your leave.

And yes, if you want to remain in the roll so you still have a job, I think you still need to pay your insurance. California has the oddest health and retirement restrictions for teachers.

You are eligible for Medicare until you are 65. You might be eligible for Medicaid. Keep us posted.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-20-2019, 02:27 PM

I am of no help, but want to you know you remain in my prayers and in my heart, everyday!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I have no knowledge of any of it.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:50 PM

I hope you can figure it out. Your district should either employ or be able to direct you to someone who will help you understand your rights under any type of medical leave. There have to be advocates available. I would take a while to read it all a few times over. Be really careful about agreeing to any medical payment just yet.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

STRS disability
Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 PM

There is a disability benefit. You are eligible if your disability is expected to be 12 months or more. Your union office should have the name and phone number of a local strs representative. Contact them and set up an appointment ASAP. The strs rep will be able to tell you what you qualify for. I donít know how many service years you have but there is also an option of disability retirement.

In my district other employees can donate sick time to your account. See if this is an option and donít be hesitant to ask for coworkers to help out. We had a teacher dealing with a major health issue who received enough donated hours to stay out most of the year with full pay. Itís not a hardship for a coworker to donate a few hours and if you get good participation it adds up quickly.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Thank you
Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 AM

Everyone- I will set up an apt. with STRS;
Sorry it's been so long. I Just have nothing to say right now...I don't know what's going on with my treatment unfortunately.
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Sorry it's been so long. I Just have nothing to say right now
Whenever you have something to say- anything at all- we're here! It's funny, I feel like I mostly remember the roommate posts. Do you still have that same roommate? That might have been many years ago
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Good to hear from you
Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM

I am of no help with your question though.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote