3 plus years of sick pay was just a little more than one days worth of regular pay - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

3 plus years of sick pay was just a little more than one days worth of regular pay

>

Fractured

3 plus years of sick pay was just a little more than one days worth of regular pay
Old 04-24-2020, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím not trying to be picky, but this was not what I was expecting. One of my districts allowed us to cash out our sick pay, but they didnít email us about it. I just happened to log into Aesop and see a notification about it, so I have to think about all the people that never even saw that. I emailed asking how much sick pay I had accrued, and of course they never answered me. After three plus years of subbing, I get what amount to a little over one day of subbing as far as pay goes. I am interested to see if they dump sick pay after a few years, because this is nothing. Itís not a district I have subbed for a bunch the last year, but I was expecting at least 500 dollars or so. This district never told us how we could ever use sick days anyway. Just a little disgruntled.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-24-2020, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Cashing out sick pay is not a good option. Typically the amount they give you is really low.

My mother worked for an intermediate unit, sits between the state Dep of Ed and local districts and provides specialized services to these districts. She had earned close to 100 sick days before she retired. So she took every Monday and Friday off to use them up.

For her it was $25.00/day to cash them out but her daily rate to use them.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

withholding sick leave
Old 04-24-2020, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've noticed that districts seem reluctant to pay out sick leave. They put up obstacles of one sort of another. Since the CA sick leave law came into effect, I've found it a struggle to get paid sick leave.

One district denied me sick leave saying I hadn't worked enough hours to qualify, when I clearly had. I contested and finally got paid.

In another district, I put in for sick leave but it didn't show up on my paycheck. When I inquired, I was told that Payroll couldn't verify my absence (even though I'd indicated the teacher, grade level, and school of the class I'd canceled due to illness).

I had to appeal to the substitute coordinator for help. She finally straightened it out for me ( after multiple emails circulating among Payroll and several HR staff). I had to fill out yet another sick leave request because supposedly the first one (submitted online) got lost or misplaced (???).

I have a feeling that many subs are reluctant to make waves of any kind. So they won't request sick leave, or if they have a problem getting it, they just drop the issue. The trouble is, as long as people don't speak up, the employers will continue to withhold and make the process difficult.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-24-2020, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is not fair to your mom at all. I believe as a sub a district( or at least any of the ones I have worked for) doesnít give me a penalty or charge for cashing these in. The notice made no mention of that if they did do that, and you figure they would waive it in these trying times. I guess Iíll take anything I can get right now, but as Iím thinking it will take another month to get any kind of unemployment( Iíve given up on the stimulus check until the late summer, if it ever comes), I was really counting on a little more here. Luckily I have some savings, but UI better come through next month.

Fractured

Old 04-24-2020, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Luv- yes, the main district I work i has sick pay, but they made the wording about how to use it very confusing. Our union stepped in, but it is still not very concise. This district I did this with never had any language about how to use a sick day. I guess they might have dumped stuff I accrued over the years, but it pisses me off to no end. Only one district I am in is fair about it. They will let you take any half or full day job and cancel it before 24 hours and they count it as a day worked, and pay you in full. Most districts I sub in wouldnít let me use any sick pay I had saved up since the Covid layoffs. I think itís wasted as I donít see there being a lot of future in subbing since I think schools wonít go back to in person attendance until January.

knelson13

Old 04-24-2020, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow! It sounds like a lot of districts give subs sick pay. We have never gotten sick days.
knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Ca
Old 04-24-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Two of my districts show my sick pay balances online with paycheck stubs, the other one does not. I have asked the districts for sick pay before when Iíve been sick and gotten it with no problem. I quit one district several years ago and it still shows I have like 20 something hours of sick pay, however I donít think I can go back and collect that now.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-24-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

CA has only recently passed a law requiring employers to allot 3 days of sick leave per year to all employees, including part time and temporary.

Sick leave was never an issue when I worked full time. I could take PTO days whenever I needed. But as a part-time substitute teacher, it's been difficult. My districts have all kinds of rules and requirements that make it a hassle to gain access to what is actually a legal right.

And actually 3 days a year isn't much. If you're really sick, you could easily be out 3 days in a row. Then you've used up your entire year's allotment! You'd think school districts and other employers would want you to stay home if you're ill. But many people can't afford to stay home if they have no sick pay. They'll just go to work sick and share the germs.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They just donít want to pay you for something you have a right to. I earned something like one hour towards sick pay for every 18 or 20 hours I actually work, so itís not like anyone was racking up countless hours.

Sublime

Old 04-24-2020, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Luv2teach is right; CA only in the last few years passed a law saying certain employees were entitled to sick pay. In my medium-sized district we get 1 hour sick pay for every 30 hours worked (5 days). It's not much but I have used it when sick. When we were notified I made sure to call in and find out how to use it because we were not told how to actually get it. Just this school year I asked my other tiny district about collecting sick pay and they didn't know anything about it, said no subs had ever requested it. I called them every few weeks until I finally went in to the district office and followed up. Sure enough, they discovered the requirement. How could they not have known about it?

It's not much sick time, but it's better than nothing.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 04-24-2020, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

One more reason why we need a union. They will pay us the tiniest amount possible, otherwise.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-24-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I wrote about this in older threads.

My main district does not let you accumulate sick pay. You must use it the same year.

They ostensibly sent out a memo dated August 15, 2015 that explains that you need to cancel an existing job to get sick pay. The district conveniently " forgot' to send most subs this memo, so I lost $250 the first year because I made the rational choice to not look for work the days I was sick, hence I had nothing to cancel. I wrote human resources about this, and of course got denied.

I wrote the author of the bill up in Sacramento and gave her a copy of the letter we never got, recommending the bill be amended so we will not be taken advantage of, but she did not respond.

I am torn as to what to do this year. I have two days accumulated from the fall of 2019, and the deadline to send in the sick pay request form is June 15. If I am paid for these days, I will need to report it as money earned.

The amount is $250. if this amount is deducted from my claim, than I guess it does not matter if I send in the form or not. Maybe I should call the EDD, but I do not want to open up a can of worms.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 04-24-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Seems counterproductive to require us to cancel a job to get sick pay. Just complicates things. My old job as a cashier just paid us once a year for our sick pay. That makes sense. No games. No having to call in sick and cause problems to get the sick pay. No hassles to get the shift covered. Makes too much sense for the government, I guess.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

You guys have it great out there
Old 04-25-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would say that everybody here who gets sick pay, and has a sub coeordinate or, and has a Union that cares about them, or even has a Union should think the sweet red blood of Jesus. I unfortunately live in Texas. We have none of those things. The good news is for those of us in Texas, all you need is a high school diploma to become a substitute teacher generally. If you have more than 60 hours you get paid more, it's only $10 Per day though. I consider myself relatively lucky, sense they raised our rate of pay when we went back this year in 2020, but that didn't last long since they closed our schools 2 months later. Some substitutes make under $50 A-day here period of course, we get no benefits at all, we are not recognized by any unions, we have no substitute coeordinate or, and of course we have no sick days. Our unemployment situation is a nightmare. I could not even get on their website for the 1st whole month because it was over whelmed. Even today call my April 25th you cannot get A-line that is not busy or that does not hang up on you I mediately after you dourlet due to the sheer volume of calls the Texas workforce commission has been receiving. As a result, there are so many people who are very desperate right now and there are lines that have been forming in our large cities like Houston San Antonio and Dallas begging for food because their checks have not arrived, and in most cases there Have not even been able to submit a claim to begin with. Nobody I know has received their stimulus check either. By the way, I am talking into my phone so if some of my words and grammar appear incorrect it is because of Google as I did not feel like spending 40 minutes to type this out. As I am right now on hold with the Texas workforce commission once again.
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote