Help

The VENT

Is anyone else feeling this way?

>

BioBirdie

Is anyone else feeling this way?
Old 04-28-2020, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like I'm the only teacher just going through the motions at this point. I feel like a failure because i don't think my students are even looking at what I send now, mostly due to how our school limited what we could do. We send work to students every two weeks. We can't move forward with any new material, we can't record a grade, and all assignments must be accesible for students who don't have internet. Oh, and our state cancelled the June regents exams, so all my students know that is no longer a concern to them. I think I only have 2 or 3 students still doing my assignments...assignments which I feel I put good effort into making them interesting, diverse and not too difficult. I teach 9th grade biology and I don't feel like anyone cares what I'm assigning at this point and i have no idea what to assign for the next two weeks. Our administrators did say we could call parents if students dont seem to be doing the work....but not to call more than once a week. I'm probably a bit depressed and I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to talk to everyone of my parents at this point. I wish we would call it quits for the school year. Can anyone else relate?

BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Old 04-28-2020, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel the same way. Our students are doing review work and not graded so they are not doing anything. We have to post work each week. I was discouraged last week but decided I am doing my job and it is up to them to participate.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Thank you
Old 04-28-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for replying. It seems all I hear about are the success stories with remote teaching right now...and know that will not be me.

nucleus

Old 04-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm barely getting any participation and that's even after sending messages that I know they are receiving. Elearning is not working for us.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote
NYstateAnon7

NYstateAnon7

Old 04-28-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm also in NY state, teach high school, and my students know there will be no final exams of any kind including Regents. (I'm a Senior member here and signed out to protect my identity.) My district is scatterbrained about how much to assign, how much to contact when Johnny or Susie don't complete their work. I decided not to contact anyone not working. Kids talk via text, etc. They all know what's there to complete. I just don't care if they do my assigned work. I care a ton more about their mental health and want to do my part to help avoid suicides. (Three in the past ten years.) Next school year will be crazy with review of material. I'm ok with that. As a class, my students and I will all cross those bridges together. All we can do is our best. If you are doing that, you are welcomed to feel good about yourself. Pat yourself on the back. We're doing a darn good job at holding it together during the one of the biggest curve balls life has thrown at us.

arsabl

Participation
Old 04-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last week I was feeling unsuccessful. This week Iím feeling. "Eh." Those that will participate now will continue to participate. Those that arenít just wonít. I can not control it. Many donít even join our class meeting at 10 am because they are STILL sleeping!

I designed a Choice Board with assignments on the various online programs we usually use during a usual school year. I tell the students to do their best.

I have many students who are expected to do everything on their own with no parent or grown up intervention. I canít fix that. I can only encourage.

What will be will be. Iím done with the guilt.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2020, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At least 30 years ago I bought this rock at a craft fair. It stayed on my desk until the day I retired.

This is the front:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

And..
Old 04-28-2020, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is the back:

True then even more true now.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

checkerjane

Old 04-28-2020, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I told DH this a few days ago. I feel like Iím assigning busy work. Itís still review/reinforcement, but it feels like Iím assigning it just to assign it. I have four kids who have done nothing and then the parents get pissy when I follow up, which is what admin told us to do.

We start around the first of August, so we get out pretty early. Thank goodness next week is our last week. Iím elementary, and it sucks because weíre still expected to assign work when everyone knows the last week of school is anything but work.

Iím so over this, as a parent and a teacher. My kid is over it. Itís like itís not even worth anyoneís time at this point.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 04-28-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach Year 1, so any participation and work done is dependant on an adult for assistance. I have eleven kids in my class. So far:

2 are doing all the work. Or Mum is. I have no way of knowing, but I know these mothers. Nice ladies, but helicopterish.
6 are dropping in and out and doing bits - mostly the online programs we use at school anyway (Reading Eggs and Mathletics).
3 have not been heard from. One I know is staying with grandparents out in the mulga west of Booligal where there is no internet or mobile phone access. She may or may not be doing the paper work I sent home - I know somebody picked hers up. The other two just aren't answering their phone.

The frustrating thing is there is no Covid 19 in my town. We had three cases, all resolved weeks ago.

I hate this online bull####, and cannot wait for it to be over so I can get back to my class.

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Frustrated98

Frustrated98

I hear you
Old 04-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Completely, I am finding remote learning to be demoralizing. We can't offer grades due to equity issues, but we have to keep giving them assignments and offering online lessons. Participation is sporadic at best. We are being told that we will push students to the next grade regardless of their effort, but we are encouraged to contact kids and parents if they are not completing the assignments that don't count for anything. Yes, there are some students with difficult situations and we should be compassionate, but many others are staying up late playing video games.
Covid

Covid

Kids
Old 04-28-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have students dealing with the death of a loved one, parents in quarantine, parents who are essential workers,etc. Yesterday I got an email from from someone in the district who runs a program within our school but who isnít a teacher telling me to have kids MAIL her stuff. She canít even adjust her expectations. I passed on her message making it clear that it was her requirement, not mine.

Iíve reached out to kids who havenít done work to make sure they are okay. A parent emailed that her daughter is feeling tremendous anxiety and was struggling to get any work done and one of the teachers basically told her to suck it up.Yeah, thatís not how anxiety works.

I am so over this. Have a little compassion.

BioBirdie

Thank you for your support
Old 04-28-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you for everyone's support. I just had enough of hearing how great the schools and teachers are doing when I feel like I am doing so little that matters. I know I'm doing everything I can, and the students will do (or not do) what they will. I'm happy that my own daughter is keeping up with math and English assignments and does some of the others. I would rather she go outside for a walk or bake some cookies than work all day on school busy work.

Ruby tunes

Retired Kat
Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love your rock's message. I agree with it completely. I don't think any teacher should feel guilty about lack of success with online teaching. So much is out of a teacher's control, and now more than ever.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

rock
Old 04-28-2020, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

There were times it really helped me to keep a proper perspective. Also better than "You can lead a horse to water..." at least for a teacher.

dutchgirl

Old 04-28-2020, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am posting work for the 20% who are doing it, but Iím making it easier than I did at first. I decided it wasnít worth the stress on me. Doing my required part, and letting the rest be.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-28-2020, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yep. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make instructional videos that mirror the instruction kids would get in class and at this point 95% are not even bothering to watch them (I can tell because of the number of views on youtube and educreations). Last week for Thursday and Friday I went through and uploaded old videos that no one had watched- if they're not going to watch them, why waste my time? This week I made new ones for today and tomorrow and will probably do the same thing with old ones Thursday and Friday. I figure if admin watches them they won't know they're "old" either.

The grant program I tutored through offered to let us tutor online- I need the money so I offered it to all of my students (about 25 kids) and only 3 signed up. I'm really enjoying those sessions and it's nice to do even a little bit of "real" teaching...but I can't believe only 3 families signed up. I let them pick the time and it's free to them as well. Sigh.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 04-29-2020, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I feel like I'm going through the motions. What my district has us doing is not teaching. My students are completing online lessons through a program that provides the lessons. All multiple choice and fill in the blank questions are checked by the software. Short answer questions are checked by me. Well, they only have short answer questions in science, so far. All i feel like I do is monitor their attendance on the site.

I started asking a question of the day to my students. This has helped me feel like at least I'm interacting with my students. Most of them answer the question, but some don't. That is okay because it isn't mandatory.

I also troubleshoot, when parents have questions or can't figure something out. But in the last week, that has weaned since we've been at this for a month.
AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

#noguilthere
Old 04-30-2020, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have to keep updated websites with new work each week. Our district has online packets for each subject now so all I'm doing is posting a link to the district packet and assigning the 1-2 page lessons from it for each day. I'm not about to make up complicated things when there's a resource in front of me. We were within 1 week of being finished with our standards when this began so now we are just reviewing. No one has logged in to do anything in the past 2 weeks. I honestly don't care. I've gotten to plant flowers, paint my kitchen, fly a kite with my daughter, clean out my garage, and about ten other things I haven't managed to do in the past 3 years because of my work schedule. We end on May 21 but I'm already finished as far as I'm concerned (and my students too).
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote