The VENT

Job applications

>

Hopeful12

Hopeful12

Job applications
Old 05-09-2020, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone here know people who have been trying to switch schools or maybe districts because of a stressful situation? Years go by and nothing changes?

I myself eventually had to look outside of teaching and am taking a job opportunity that is better for my mental health. I also am pretty sure that a public school environment isn't right for me anymore. The demands just get higher and the support just gets lower.

It's the same old song a lot of you have heard but I just feel alone right now. Thanks for listening to someone who's not signed in as a member. Hope you all are doing okay.

BioBirdie

Good for you, Hopeful!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've considered switching schools and professions many times over my 19 years teaching. Problem was I didnt want to relocate due to husband's job, children already in school, etc. It was difficult but the last few years have been better teaching. Then came the announcement during last weeks zoom meetings that the school is having financial difficulties and my teaching load is increasing significantly due to not filling positions. I am happy i keep my job, but.... Ugh! You're making the right move I think.
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I feel like I have been a frog sitting in
Old 05-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

water that has slowly been heated for many years. I think most schools can be stressful.
Some more than others. If you have a good P and good friends it is doable. If you lose either, it is harder.
I am "out" this year too. I am just done with it.
A lot of schools are tough on one's mental health.
You are smart to get out if it is messing w/ yours.
I stayed too long, I think.
Now I am a raging lunatic! Joking about that part!
Best wishes in your new career.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When the furloughs started happening 10 years ago at my previous district someone I worked with was cut early on and she landed a job doing social media work for a company. She handles all the Facebook, Twitter, instagram posts and probably more. She is a department of one and is now worried about being cut as her company is talking about reducing staffing due to covid 19.

I made the decision at the end of 2019 to expand the areas where I was looking for work. I’m tired of the carrot on the stick with subbing; I’ve heard it all before, get your foot in the door, great opportunity to be known. From what I’ve seen those getting hired at the elementary level (where I am certified) tend to be young and female. At one school where I sub there is only one guy, the custodian.

I agree that the demands are getting higher and the support lower. Last school I taught in we had had to have three copies of our lesson plans; one to teach from, one for the principal, and the third hung outside our doors so they could be reviewed prior to the weekly walk-throughs. Then we were to be in sync with all teachers on a grade level. The superintendent said I want to leave one teacher’s classroom as they start a sentence and hear the next teacher complete that sentence.

It’s gotten to the point of being ridiculous of what they want teachers to do.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tuxedocat

SubMan
Old 05-11-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"The superintendent said I want to leave one teacher’s classroom as they start a sentence and hear the next teacher complete that sentence."

Unreal!!! I haven't taught public school for 13 years (I've been in private) but am looking into public now for financial reasons. My favorite part of teaching is...teaching! Being creative! Using my personality to get through to kids. That statement upsets me tremendously! How are we supposed to be effective teachers when we are acting like robots? Ugh!!

Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote