Unemployment after school year runs out? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Unemployment after school year runs out?

>

Bobbies

Unemployment after school year runs out?
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you are receiving unemployment as a substitute, do you have to stop receiving unemployment the last day of the school year, which I believe is May 27th for students? I just got off the phone with my state Congressman's aide and he said he is not sure and that he would have somebody call me back. Well, nobody has called me back before when they promised they would call me back. I understand that they are back logged, and millions of people have not been able to get through to the Texas workforce commission because of the Eisenhower computers that are being used, and I am not being sarcastic. If you are around in the 1950s, ( I was, and used them) you would know them.
Anyways, another one of my questions is that our governor signed into law that allows those who live with high risk people, those who have had COVID-19, are those who live with people who have auto immune system deficient to continue to receive unemployment. Again, the last date of school is May 27th. Do I need to notify the Texas workforce commission when this date occurs? Thank You, fellow teachers. (I am a retired teacher who recently started subbing)

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

I am going...
Old 05-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To sign my letter and continue to collect unemployment through the summer. Summer School (ESY), Has been cancelled. I normally work sub SEA positions during the summer because they are always short. I have gotten information from some teacher friends that school is going to look very different next school year. Students may only be in school a few days a week to split classes. There will be no professional development on days when school is in session no more data days, grade level planning meetings etc. Those types of days make up a large bulk of my work days. I do fewlast minute sick calls and only for teachers and schools I know. Budget cuts were going on at my district before Covid19. I know 2 teachers who got pink slipped in early March. So yes, there will be a lesser demand for subs. I said this in response to another post “I am reasonably assured of nothing.” This is my 12th year, I just decided to renew my permit yesterday, still not sure why. I’m sure the money might have been better spent.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Bobbies
Old 05-07-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you a retired teacher (on a pension) or a former teacher (no longer teaching full time in a classroom)?

If you have a pension, you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment insurance would you, so I'm confused.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-07-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It varies by state. In my state if you retire then go back to work in a position that has the same pension your pension is deducted from your unemployment award.

Example: I retire and receive a pension from teachers’ retirement system. I go back to sub under the same teachers’ system. My weekly pension of $500 would be subtracted from my unemployment award of $400 so I would get nothing.

If I went to work for Walmart it is not part of the same pension so I would get my full unemployment
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My states unemployment web pages look like something from 1995; I kept looking for the “best with Netscape Navigator” button at the bottom of the page.

Unemployment hasn’t kept up with the realities of the modern work force. They think that all people work one job for 40 hours per week. Someone like myself who works two jobs for 70 hours a week is foreign to them. As a result I am unable to collect unemployment because I make too much money at my evening/weekend job. So no unemployment and no bonus $600/week for me.

I am trying to make ends meet on 55% of my usual take home pay. I’m out looking for another job since I am using my savings that was earmarked to help out in the summer. Meanwhile a sub friend of mine tells me that he is making more on unemployment than he did as a sub (because of the extra $600).

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 05-14-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good question... I was just going to continue to collect until the fall when schools maybe opened back up.
Should I not? I don't know now..

I also make more money on unemployment than subbing because of the extra $600/week, but only by an extra $50 per week
(basing this off long-term subbing, which is what I was doing when schools closed .. our district was paying ALL subs until our governor decided to close schools for the rest of the year; then our district decided they weren't paying subs anymore so had to file for unemployment)
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote