Help

The VENT

Panic setting in

>

BioBirdie

Panic setting in
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What would you do to keep the panic from setting in if you were me? I was informed that in addition to teaching 9th grade biology and labs that I will be teaching 7th grade life science because positions are being eliminated at our small rural school. I talked with the teacher who is retiring and looked at all the supplies and materials that I inherit. I want to start organizing BUT prior to quarantine I was moved out of my room for much needed renovations. My supplies are boxed and spread between 3 locations. I was mostly teaching out of boxes when we left. My room was gutted and now is just sitting in need of new floor, storage, etc. No work seems to be happening, but originally was supposed to be done in April. I thought sample lab stools were coming for me to decide on, but the maintenance head I was working with left for another district and wasn't replaced. So, WHO knows when that is ready? I hate contacting administrators when I'm this freaked out, need to calm down and focus first. ALSO...In discussing the 7th grade curriculum I am reminded that the 8th grade test includes material from 6th and 7th..and I dont know what this years 6th grade missed out on that I'll need to catch-up as our school would not allow new material during quarantine. Throw in the unknown factors for how school will change due to COVID19 in the fall and I'm a mess!!!!! I don't even know where to start. Do I need to be planning remote lessons or at school? Can labs happen with a partner or spread 6 feet apart? I know at some point this summer I will need to put in an enormous amount of work to be ready on day 1, without compensation. I will seriously be unable to handle the chaos if I wait until the school year begins again. Ugh! I hate that no one seems to realize that I have an impossible amount of work ahead of me that I'm expected to just deal with.

BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Honestly?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd hopefully be praying to God for his peace. It sounds like your mind is running full speed on what next year brings. When I was younger, I experienced a lot of anxiety. The only way I keep my mind from that is by praying for peace, doing something that gets me out of "thinking mode", and tapping into faith.
This is an example of how it works sometimes. pray God shows you something to do to help someone else who is in some need if you are in good health , have extra time, or $. Go help them. Then your mind and spirit is uplifted and you are not thinking about what ifs.
We are all in a situation of massive unknowns right now. It can be unsettling.
I caught something that is pretty scary when I think about it. I'll find out more next week, but it got to me last night too. I prayed for peace on it and fell asleep. ( After I let some panic seep in for a few minutes.) I wish you the best! <3
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

I know itís easy to panic
Old 05-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And I don’t know your exact situation, but I work at a small school wherein principals who get paid a lot more than I do can reasonably be expected to be responsible for making hard logistical decisions, but they rarely think about it or give any directives. It’s not unique to the pandemic. It’s the same thing every year: somebody comes up with some broad, vague change (typically for no apparent reason than its own sake), but there is absolutely zero leadership with respect to implementation. Eventually, they just yell and criticize after the fact without giving any guidance or directives beforehand.

I’ve found that, in this profession, the more I think about work off contract hours, and the harder I work in my own time, the more intensely it blows up in my face, so I just wouldn’t even think about any of it, let alone do any actual work, until school is about ready to start next year.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

You're on the right track...
Old 05-23-2020, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like you know what to do--You are right so far: Calm yourself then gather your thoughts. THEN, ask the relevant questions.

Since some of this is new--new levels, new content, the "new normal," etc.--I would make some lists. Try to categorize the questions into similar groups. Then brainstorm things yourself using your skills and expertise and add the stuff from here, FB groups, colleagues and similar.

Personally, I wouldn't start with the questions about COVID/distance learning/new recommendations. Schools and admin are still figuring all that out themselves and will hopefully share when they can answer the questions.

Can you speak to the former MS teacher again to see what standards were covered in 6th and 7th prior to shut down? Specific would be great but even a general idea of units covered are better than nothing.

I think that if you have enough tech background, it wouldn't hurt to think in that vein...If nothing else, anything you prepare for online learning can still be used in the physical classroom. It will be a little less lesson plan to do once the school year begins.

I know it is hard--the uncertainty is killing me. I hate the unknown. Be thankful you know this far in advance.
whatever is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would spend my time getting familiar with the standards and curriculum. Look for online resources for distance learning and look for lessons/labs for the classroom. The more familiar you are the better off you'll be. I would probably plan the first couple of weeks for both kinds of teaching. Get your procedures in place and do everything you can to be ready short of being in the actual classroom. Can you pick up any teaching materials to get familiar with them? Just get yourself in a position to breathe for the first couple of weeks of school. Then take some time to enjoy your summer!

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Thank you
Old 05-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you to those who replied to my post. It just all overwhelmed me yesterday. I've got all the previous teacher's plans, worksheets, etc. I'm sure I'll be fine, but I so dislike having no extra compensation for the additional work...I mean it was 1/2 the workload of the retiring teacher just being dumped on me. Nothing has been said but I think its assumed that I'm taking on the junior high science club too. At least there is a stipend for that. I know I should be happy to have a job right now.
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote