Is Anyone Worried About Emotional Health? (Long) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Is Anyone Worried About Emotional Health? (Long)

>

Speced9

Is Anyone Worried About Emotional Health? (Long)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll just come right out and say it- I am in one bad place and I'm just wondering how many of you out there are in a similar position as we near the beginning of school.

I would tend to think that a lot of us that having emotional issues have followed the same path me. I'm a list guy, so just let me clarify through that-

1. I haven't worked out since March when the shutdown began. I refuse to go back to the gym because, EW!. My diet has gone to crap and I feel terrible. I'm too scared to weigh myself, but I'm betting that the 50 lbs I lost years ago (read my blog) is back and then some.

2. I'm a believer in science (masks, distancing, no traveling etc. etc.) in regards to the virus even though I can't wear a mask for a long period of time. Anxiety gets the best of me and that foggy glasses thing. Ugh. My family isn't into the science though. So I'm affected by their bad choices. I can't control them the same way all of us can't control a nation.

3. Through the COVID pandemic and Black Lives Matter, I've learned that a lot of my friends and family are racist idiots. Seriously. That depresses the heck out of me.

So...to my main point. There is so much to consider physical health wise about teachers returning to school, but are we sure everyone is MENTALLY ready to deal with that kind of stress? People seem to forget that the things that block our instruction (behavior, administration, parents, adequate space) are always going to be there, PLUS we're adding this COVID situation to it which is life/death serious. Are we going to be able to handle a student's or coworker's sickness or God forbid, death?

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-31-2020, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry your are feeling this way. I know that a lot people are feeling the same way. It is a scary and stressful time in our country. I am no dr. but maybe if you could get out and walk outside you might feel better and loose some of the weight you have gained. I joined 99Walks app and really like the podcasts and classes it offers with the membership. I will add you to my prayers.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-31-2020, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry you are feeling this way. It is a difficult time and being a teacher is extremely hard especially when you don't have control over what is going down as far as virtual/hybird/in person. I know how disappointing it is find friends/family that you thought of one way to suddenly find out they maybe racist/bigot. I agree, walking may be good for you as might getting off social media. You are in my prayers.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm very concerned about emotional/mental health, for both myself, colleagues, and the students. I'm a very easy going, emotionally stable person, and the last few months have been more emotional and difficult for me than almost any other time in my life. I fear that this year is really going to take it's toll, and if it's doing that for me it's got to be a million times worse for anyone who already suffers from anxiety or any other difficulties.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 07-31-2020, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes. I feel the same way you are and am going through the same types of things. At the start of the quarantine, I thought "this will be a good time to get a hold of my eating choices and take care of myself." Nope. Didn't happen. I baked and cooked and ate.

I'm stressed about going back to school. Stressed about losing income if we don't. Worried about getting sick from someone who doesn't take it seriously. Even if we do everything safely, we can still be around someone who isn't.

I plan to be washing my hands constantly when we go back. Washing my clothes and showering asap when I get home. Distancing.

I will be happy when this is under control. Hang in there, you are definitely not alone!

whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTeacherMom

With ya
Old 07-31-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not working out check
Fatter than ever check
Disappointed and depressed check
Stressed outta my mind check

It got so bad that my doc put me on not one but two anti anxiety meds about two weeks ago.

I donít pray but I will definitely send you positive vibes.
FLTeacherMom is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 08-01-2020, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes. I have lived through a lot (I'm in my fifties) and this is by far the worst thing I have ever experienced. Do I want to retire...absolutely. Can I? No. Teachers are caught up in a very dangerous web. Most of us are terrified to go back to work...but due to the circumstances we are being put back into in person classrooms which we all know are not safe. I am sickened that teachers are being put into this position.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

I feel ya'
Old 08-01-2020, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You are not alone, I definitely feel the same way. I write out my thoughts every now and then to try to clear my head but I don't go back and read what I wrote in the past because I think it will be depressing. I don't think I'll handle it well if someone in my school gets sick. I'm a strong person but this is a lot for anyone to process.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am not terrified to go back although I am nearing 60. I don't want to teach this way though, and I am the technology teacher!

I have done well through the last six months but that is because I live in a great area with awesome outdoor opportunities for hiking and biking and I have spent hours outside enjoying the sunshine! When I am stuck inside. on google meets all day, I will not be able to do the things that kept my emotions in check. So, I am worried about the next coming weeks. I do wish I could retire, but I have to wait until I actually am 60, which is still 2 1/2 years away....

I also managed to see my parents because I social distanced long enough I felt like we could risk it. However, I won't be able to do that for a long time-I won't fly and then see them and it is a 2 day drive... How will I manage that? Going to somehow but I don't have an idea how. That will start eating away at me in a month or so.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 08-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel you. I think once we return in person, even in hybrid format, I’ll be so concerned over proper mask wearing in class and all the other issues we will be dealing with to keep things safe - which will impede actual instruction practices.

I can’t see how it’s a debate. We should be closed until Jan 2021 and reassess then, considering how out of control everything is.

googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

It's good to recognize....
Old 08-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It's good to recognize when you're not in a good place mentally. I think some people don't see when they need to stop and take care of themselves. I could have written your post. We just received a draft of our back to school plans today, and I have been crying on and off all day. Took a walk. Started a new book. Hoping I snap out of this soon and wonder if I need to talk to my doctor about being back on anxiety meds or seeing a mental health counselor....both things I did 15-18 years ago when I was first teaching, had two toddlers at home and a struggling marriage. Everyone, please take care of yourselves!
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Mental health
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I understand how youíre feeling.

Last night I had a break down. Too much and I just couldnít take it.

I do exercise daily. Itís a must for both my physical and mental health. I took extra time this morning on my walk to look at the beauty of the world. On this walk, I considered contacting a therapist. But talked myself out of it. When would I have time? But maybe I need to make the time.

At this moment, I feel much better. I took lots of time for me. Spent time with my pets.

Each day comes with new challenges. I wish you well and hope you are able to feel better soon.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

Dzani

The good news
Old 08-16-2020, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You can get accommodations for preexisting conditions, and for some reason that doesn't include age but it does include obesity. So those extra pounds could end up saving your life.
Dzani is offline   Reply With Quote