Help

The VENT

Hybrid flow up

>

middlestsis

Hybrid flow up
Old 08-04-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a follow up, not a flow up. That's what I get for using my phone.

Hey all! I was upset enough about the current conversation for the hybrid model in our district to email one of my school board members. They meet in a couple of days and there is a former teacher on the board. She mentioned that they were also concerned about how these models look and asked me to share any ideas.

So, does anyone have a school or district that is doing a hybrid model without having teachers have to plan virtual and in person for the same day? Or do you have any ideas of what would work?

Thanks!

Last edited by middlestsis; 08-04-2020 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Typing error
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-04-2020, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our hybrid model is two days in person, two days at home, and a full teacher planning day (with one zoom morning meeting at the beginning of the day). The in person teaching would be the same to the two groups, as would the at home work, so in essence you are still only planning for four days of instruction. We have never entertained the model of being recorded or anything for the kids at home while teaching in person - that's just crazy.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Hybrid Model
Old 08-04-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my district, the hybrid model will only be available if a grade level has 25 to 30 students who sign up. If there is not this number, that grade level will not have a hybrid option. This option is only available to 4K to 6th graders.

15 students will attend school in the morning, and 15 will attend in the afternoon. Both sessions will have social distancing. Classes will be a little more than three hours with the focus being reading, writing, spelling, and math. When not in school, students will do virtual phy ed, art, music, STEM, and social studies which will be done by specialized teachers not the adult teaching the morning/afternoon sessions of reading, writing, spelling, and math.

The hybrid model will be on Monday to Thursday. On Friday, students will stay home with an all virtual day. On Friday, the hybrid teacher is responsible for virtually teaching reading, writing, spelling and math.

There will be no bus transportation for this model, and parents must transport their children to and from these classes. It is possible the hybrid model will not be in the child's home school due to space. Once a family chooses this model, they may not switch until the end of the trimester.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-04-2020, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here’s how our hybrid is working.

Each grade level is divided in half.

Group A is in person Monday & Tuesday, and remote Wednesday through Friday.

Group B is remote Monday through Wednesday and in person Thursday & Friday.

The all-remote kids are doing the Edgenuity program. They can contact us for assistance on Wednesdays. Parents were told that they were basically on their own for the remote option.

DH’s school is doing five days remote or five days in person. They have different teachers for each one.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

hybrid, asynchronous
Old 08-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are starting off full distance learning, but until fairly recently the hybrid plan was planned along with the option of full DL.

I teach third grade. The hybrid model would be one half of the class in school on Tuesday/Thursday and the other half Wed/Friday. Mondays would be a half day for intervention and a half day planning. On the days the students would not be in class they would learn through asynchronous lessons. We had discussed doing what we did during the spring for the asynchronous days and that was each of us took a subject and created the lessons and assignments for the entire grade level. So for example, I had writing. Each week I would create two writing lessons for the grade level. The lessons were created using Google Slides and voiced over using Screencastify. Assignments were created and assigned in Google Classroom to the entire grade level to complete asynchronously. Two other teachers did the same for reading, two did math, and one alternated between social studies and science.

That was our thought for a fall hybrid model.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Asynchronous, daily
Old 08-04-2020, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The current idea is that we teach the same lesson to all students but the ones at home do it asynchronously. So, we'd have to do plans for every day for distance learning and 4 of those days we'd do the in person version of those same lessons. I emailed the board member to say that this would cause way too much planning for teachers, especially since we'd have to assess both of them and keep up with which students were "present". Another concern is that students who are at home may not learn well from videos and if we just move on, they may get left behind. I'm just not sure what ideas to present to her.
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 08-05-2020, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No hybrid for my grade band. We are face to face or virtual... actually BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. (Please excuse me while I scream over here.)

I was told originally that I'll switch rooms and teach virtually at the same time for two sessions a day. After a talk with my P yesterday sje is trying to get final numbers and see if we can switch the kids at mid-day and us teach one in person section and one virtual section a day. Technically I will be limited to a in person class size of 23 because I will have a frequent push in in the form of the technology teacher.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

AM/PM, independent activities
Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are virtual to start, but when when go back, it's half our class in the AM, then repeat with the other half in the PM.

The remaining time at home will be for individual independent activities. I'm thinking that all the electronic practice stuff I had them do while meeting with small groups will be at home- no small group time.

Of course, there has been no consideration of how combo teachers are supposed to do this...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote